What's your favourite word?

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason mine is 'Whipper snapper' and I try to include it all my writings. Sometimes I create a character exclusively just say that word or may use it let's say as part of a background conversation or something that the MC heard on the TV.

What is your favourite word and do you covertly insert in to your writing and secretly giggle when ever you see it? (or is that just the weird amongst us?)

Come on then you bloody whipper snapper, speak! ;)

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
Mine's a little different. It's not so much like a secret joke with myself, the way yours is, but I love, love, love the word "kitchen". I love how it sounds, I love what it means, I love the various feelings and ideas and senses it tickles. It's a comfort, it's a burden, it's peaceful, it's chaotic, it's cozy, it's clinical, it's just awesome.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my favorite word would depend on my mood, i think..

though I have a favorite swear word. :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Archetype. For some reason I love the "arch" sound. Archepelago, oligarchy, archeology, architecture.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Crop. I just like the sound of it, especially when it's said without any breathiness. I think because it sounds like a sound effect. :D Crisp and clipped. I hadn't thought of deliberately including it in a story, but I think I'll try it now!

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
sensual and sensuous

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
Besides swear words (which are all my favorites) it's a toss up between lollygag and bamboozle. I just like how they sound, and they make me laugh. But I've never used them in any of my work. Someday.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
odoriferous - I have no idea why. I guess I don't really care for all the other words that mean the same thing.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
after much thought... dorp.

Yes, it's a real word. I like it not so much bcs I've ever had occasion to use it (other than the crossword where it first popped up) but bcs it just reminds me of all the little gems of the language that are out there.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
"Horse-manuring around."

My dad used to say that when I was growing up (Stop horse-manuring around and do it, already!) I love saying it out loud because it just has a great ring to it. And it sounds funnier than "horse-sh*tting around."

I finally found a place to use it very late in my story.

allen

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Maybe...parsnip. I loerrrve the vegetable, and I have honored it by inserting it into my writing.
He wanted to run, but there was no place to go, even if he could. His legs were cooked parsnips.
It may go over better if you know that the parsnip is a long root that is delectably tender when cooked.

shielamarie

Registered
Reaction score
"L-O-V-E"

Most of my writings are inspired by love..

Love by family. Love by friends. Love by strangers. Anything about LOVE.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Archetype. For some reason I love the "arch" sound. Archepelago, oligarchy, archeology, architecture.

Jo, maybe we're brain twins...my favorite is archipelago, too. I have a thing for Greek-derived words, not to mention, uh, maritime ones? So sea, isle, island are pretty much all just as good.

Well, my favorite appropriate word. Certain appalling curse words are just a bit more satisfying to say, often :tongue

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
Crop. I just like the sound of it, especially when it's said without any breathiness. I think because it sounds like a sound effect. :D Crisp and clipped. I hadn't thought of deliberately including it in a story, but I think I'll try it now!

Oh Crap! I can't believe you stole my favorite word! And I do include it in every story I can. (It's a pretty easy word to include.)

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
I love GENUFLECT!

I remember the first time I heard it and understood its meaning - The Genie from Aladdin sings: "Genuflect! Show some respect! Down on one knee..."

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
stewardesses, cause I can type it all with my left hand, and I'm left handed, although I ambidextrous at a few things. This answer covers a few of the threads in OP, too.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what it is but I tend to like "s" words. sapient, savant, slake, slither, slurpee, sapidity, but I also like philter..