How do you catch a stray cat?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
So my mom's friend has a stray kitten living under her porch. No idea where it came from or how old it is, but judging by its size, it's probably only a couple of weeks old. It's barely any bigger than a baby chick, even, and it still has the blue kitten eyes.

It's been under this porch since Friday with no food or water. It won't come out except to show its face. I sat out there for about half an hour this morning with a can of wet cat food, and eventually it started meowing in response to my meowing. It cautiously inched towards me, still under the deck, but then it backed away and disappeared before I could do anything.

I had to go to work, so I left the can of food there. Hopefully it'll eat. I'm going back this afternoon to try and catch it so I can bring it to the vet, but does anyone have any advice for catching a stray? I don't think it's feral since it did get near me and wasn't hissing or arching its back, but it's definitely horrified.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The poor kitten is probably lost, hungry, scared. He/she won't come to human unless there's a sense of safety. Trying to catch it would be futile, I think. What you want to do is set up a box for the kitten with food, water, and blankets, etc. Make it comfortable. Put it by the porch, then gradually move it closer to the house. If the kitten is still seeking shelter (and didn't get scared away), he or she will eventually take comfort in the box...

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
what about a live animal trap- you put food in the back, the critter goes in, steps on a panel that closes the door and they can't get out. I have seen them for sale at CT, but wonder if the poor little thing weighs enough to set the trap off- poor thing!

Oo- what about animal control they have those catch pole thingys that don't hurt them-

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Definitely leave food and water under the porch, or at least near the porch, for it. You might have success by sitting very still with a can of tuna--it's stinky, and cats love it. I've gotten lots of scared kitties to come to me that way.

You might also contact an animal rescue near you. They are often willing to loan you humane traps. They're basically big cages with trap doors on them. You put some tuna in it, and when the kitty goes in, the door closes behind them.

It sounds like this cat is very young, and if so, it can be extremely important to get it care ASAP. Kittens that young can die if they don't eat regularly, or if their body temperature drops too much.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. My boyfriend is a veterinarian, and I work with an animal rescue group. :)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Caromora--

I called the local shelter and it's a $20 deposit on a humane trap, but they're only open from 9-3 and I work from 8-4:30 so I'm not sure when/if I can get the trap.

I was hoping to leave work early and sit outside with some food and hopefully lure it in... I wasn't sure if kittens liked tuna, though, I thought that was just older cats?

What's important is that I can get it in time to take to the vet by 5. I can't take it home unless I know it's healthy, because I don't want to get my own cat sick.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Or ham. Cats love ham. If it's a small kitten, just cut the food up in very small chunks. Also, milk works wonder but only a small quantity -- cats can't really digest milk; it gives them diarrhea.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Or ham. Cats love ham. If it's a small kitten, just cut the food up in very small chunks. Also, milk works wonder but only a small quantity -- cats can't really digest milk; it gives them diarrhea.

Yeah, milk makes my cat vomit, so I was going to steer clear of dairy. Maybe ham or tuna, though.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Tuna for cats has less oil and smells more--better for the little guy. Big thing--if he's got teeth and is pooping on his own he's likely 4-5 weeks. Very young kittens can't go without stimulation and that what the momma's cat does on their butt to make them go. 2+ years ago my partner and I raised a 7 day old foundling with kitten formula and butt wiping. Her ears were still folded and she barely had her eyes opened. She now rules us and the older cat, sigh.

Set out small amounts of food in a trail morning and night and hope the kitten comes closer. If possible can you get under the porch to get him? If not, can you angle in some boards like this / \ so he comes closer then the next day move the boards /\ and get him? Once you have him, a vet visit is definitely needed for worming, first shots, and check up of external parasites like 'moving dandruff'.

Keep him isolated from your other cats and wash between handlings until he has a clean bill of health.

good luck!

PM me if I can help more.

Last edited:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Heron, I can't get under the porch. It's barely a foot high. It's infested with weeds and shadows so I can't see a thing, and it's HUGE, so it's hard to even tell where the kitten is. There's a break in the lattice where I was able to lure it, briefly, before it went away again.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can try giving a kitty some food. Chicken or a can of tuna, are nice. I had plenty of stray cats roaming around this High school I used to go to. Give him some food, he'll be scared of you at first, but cats get close to you really quickly.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I caught the cat!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I left her some food this morning before work, and when I came back, the food had been eaten and she poked her head out in greeting but wouldn't let me touch her. It was maybe a half hour to an hour before she finally came out into the sunlight to sniff me. So I gently nudged her into the carrier while I had the chance, and took her to the vet.

She's startlingly healthy given the circumstances. She's about 8 weeks old and weighs 15 ounces (less than a medium sized coffee!!), and she's a cuddle slut. After she got a look at her new digs, she just wanted to chill in my lap and look around. She's staying in a big crate with food and litter and some toys for right now. She's still too little to be let loose with my adult cat and dog, and she can't be exposed to my adult cat until she gets tested for Feline Lukemia and HIV and the like, which should be in another two weeks.

Thanks for all the tips, guys!!

And oh yeah, her name is Mochi.

mochi2.jpg

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Where could I even get canned salmon? Never heard of that.

About any supermarket; I buy it a lot to use for salmon patties, salmon salad, etc. There are several major brands - Honey Boy and Chicken of the Sea - plus usually store brands. It should be next to the tuna. Usually available in small tuna size cans and larger 16 ounce cans.

Looks like this:

images

I've rescued kittens and cats before. Usually food keeps them around. Patience and some kindness usually bring them around. You want them to feel safe and once they do, you're usually able to approach them.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Good for you--Mochi is so cute:)
Thanks everyone for your advice. I left her some food this morning before work, and when I came back, the food had been eaten and she poked her head out in greeting but wouldn't let me touch her. It was maybe a half hour to an hour before she finally came out into the sunlight to sniff me. So I gently nudged her into the carrier while I had the chance, and took her to the vet.

She's startlingly healthy given the circumstances. She's about 8 weeks old and weighs 15 ounces (less than a medium sized coffee!!), and she's a cuddle slut. After she got a look at her new digs, she just wanted to chill in my lap and look around. She's staying in a big crate with food and litter and some toys for right now. She's still too little to be let loose with my adult cat and dog, and she can't be exposed to my adult cat until she gets tested for Feline Lukemia and HIV and the like, which should be in another two weeks.

Thanks for all the tips, guys!!

And oh yeah, her name is Mochi.

mochi2.jpg

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That face would make a cute avatar. We can never have too many cat avatars here.

Cthulhu

Prince of Slumberland
Registered
Reaction score
She's adorable!

Good job sticking it out long enough to rescue her, too!

Really makes me want to adopt a kitten...