Character Names

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...but here goes nothing...

I was wondering if I could get peoples opinion on names for charaters:

the story is set somewhere during the 1880's...

For the main character,aged 18, whos point of view the story is on I was thinking

Ellenor

For the role of the male and the Ellenor's love interest I was thinking

Demitri...because I think it's a very strong and dark name...like the character..age 18-20

for his mother who is an evil corrupt woman, aged about 65...maybe

Esmerelda ...any other suggestions for this character??

Ellenor's younger brother aged 10..I was thinking...

Emile, Nicholas, Phinaes or Alex?????

Do you need more description of the characters??

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is the setting of the story?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Here's what I do. I find online census info or cemetery records for the area my book is set in, and download them to an Excel file. Then I alpha them, remove the duplicates, and ta-dah! I have a name list for the book's time and place.

My current WIP is set in Essex County, Mass. and both census and cemetery records were readily avaiable online.

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
What is the setting of the story?

well..Ellenor comes from a rich background and Demetri and his mother are circus folk...Ellenor's brother might have two names considering he was sold to the cirus as a baby and they changed his name, I was thinking of giving him a degrading circus name...

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I do. I find online census info or cemetery records for the area my book is set in, and download them to an Excel file. Then I alpha them, remove the duplicates, and ta-dah! I have a name list for the book's time and place.

My current WIP is set in Essex County, Mass. and both census and cemetery records were readily avaiable online.

I like that idea but I'm not sure where to base my story...I was going to set it in a neutral place...I want my readers not to know where the story is based or what era it's set in.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I meant, what country? In the US, the 1880's are late enough that there were immigrants from all over the world, so just about any name is plausible. I'm not sure, but I would assume that's also true of Australia to a somewhat lesser degree.

You just want to be consistent. For example, Demetri is primarily a Greek or Slavic name. If the character's grandfather came from Russia, then it's a completely accepted name. If the character's grandfather was a French peasant, then the name may seem odd to a reader. If the character's family were gypsies, no matter what country they came from, then Demetri works.

I think you've got a good range of names in your original post. You just don't want every character to have a uncommon name, or, every character to have a common name. It's more realistic if some are common names, and some are not (because that's the way it was).

ETA: I typed that without seeing your post above, Alice. I'm not sure of the "neutral place" idea. That would be fine in a short story, but you might run into problems doing it in a novel. It's possible to do it, but you will have problems from time to time with it. It will be something you will have to work around.

Last edited:

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
well I was thinking New Orleans, Italy, France or England

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like Esmerelda- makes me think of a Disney character for some reason- Maybe Martha, Alica, Edna, Esther- all popular names is your era.

I like Alex for the ten year old to keep from having to mant 'E' names

Demitri is a good strong name- I like that

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like Esmerelda- makes me think of a Disney character for some reason- Maybe Martha, Alica, Edna, Esther- all popular names is your era.

I like Alex for the ten year old to keep from having to mant 'E' names

Demitri is a good strong name- I like that

oh yer,,,that movie with the hunchback guy...Martha reminds me of Martha Stewart, Esther reminds me of a sweet character in a book I once read and Alica is to close to my name lol, but I like Edna :D

I think I'm going to settle with Demetri and Alex as names :)

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I would be really annoyed if I didn't know where the book was set. How do you imagine how the characters speak? The streets they walk down? The food they eat? I know it makes your job as an author much easier if you don't have to research the setting, but I think it's a bit of a cop-out. That's just my opinion. Worth the paper it's typed on.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the gypsy in Hunchback of NotreDame was Esmerelda, but I think of Victor Hugo first over Disney. If the mom's Russian: Katarina, Ivana, Irena, Elena, Olga are a few suggestions.

I also try to keep folks with the same first letter in their names from not meeting if possible--Edward meets Esther--etc, I feel it's confusing even if the sexes and pronunciation are different.

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
I would be really annoyed if I didn't know where the book was set. How do you imagine how the characters speak? The streets they walk down? The food they eat? I know it makes your job as an author much easier if you don't have to research the setting, but I think it's a bit of a cop-out. That's just my opinion. Worth the paper it's typed on.

I'm not doing it to cut corners...I just want that sense of not knowing, that perhaps the characters are your next doors neighbors...so it kind of relates to anyone in the world.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
well, whatever you decide, I hope your Wip totally rocks!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
If your story is set in the 1800s West, where the Bible was pretty well known and read, then your characters would know "Endora" is a derivation of "the witch of Endor"--the spiritualist King Saul used to bring up the ghosts of previous kings. It's not a positive association in the Bible. Just FYI.