FF - 6/1/08 - Peaches

noisecontrol

Registered
Reaction score
Mom's Sweater

She used to wear that thing to school. I was embarrassed by it. The wrap around hat that covered her whole head in the fall. No one else had a mother that wore that type of hat.

I remembered years past when she was more daunting with the weather. No sunscreen in the blistering sun of the summers at the peach festival in Lewiston.

It didn't matter now. I was standing in Chicago and wishing I had one of those hats. It was one of those, "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it" things. I'd made the clean break in college, and I was standing on the corner of Lincoln avenue freezing to death.

It had all seemed to fit together so well. The fraternity, the college, the job at AT&T, the perfect marriage, to the perfect wife. And now all I wish for is that hat. There are troubles you can't even explain to a normal individual, things you will do that you never would have done, when it all caves in.

I remembered the days when my grandmother tucked into her warm coats, would buy us a coke at McDonalds. And then I thought what it wouldn't be if I could get my hands on something to drink.

"Change?"

The grate looks warm. I think I'll sleep there...

I think I'll sleep there.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Noisecontrol. Yes, it does gat a bit loud here sometimes.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's a fine little piece of writing. As for its niche--this mod thinks he will just leave it right here. There really isn't any other good place for it, yet. I believe it was intended to be a part of Sunday night's Flash Fiction Challenge, but well, there are some problems with that: It uses the 'example' prompt instead of the one posted, it doesn't appear to relate to the prompt very much (that isn't in itself a big deal) and it is posted here instead of in the Flash Fiction forum above.

Since noisecontrol is a brand new member, let's allow him/her to meet some of the rest of us (thanks to Matera and Mumut for their welcomes and to benbradley for his encouragements in the chat room), and become acclimatized to the way things work around here. (They do work around here, don't they? Yes, they do. Most of the time. Yep. :D)

Perhaps, noisecontrol, if you're watching, you might like this little piece to appear in the Writing Short Fiction forum for critique? Let me know. And welcome to AW!