Why is the robin trying to get in bedroom.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
My bedroom is on first floor of my house... it is at the corner so I have one window facing south, and another window facing west.

Over the window on the south side is a balconey for one of the upstair bedrooms.. and in the eaves of the balconey there are five supporting beams that birds like to make nests in. It's cool because there is different nest in between each beam and no vacancies.. :)

There is one Robin (and I believe it's a male because of his red breast) that tries to fly into my window, when he can't get in he flies over to the other window. He does this several times during a day. In fact he work me up this morning. He also does the same thing with my grandson's window (who's room is above mine).

I know birds try to fly through windows... but this is not the case because it happens when the windows are opened and just the screen is there...

Anyone have a clue???

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
As they say in Bambi, he's twitterpated. It's mating season, he's looking for a ladylove, he sees himself, and like some of the men I've dated, he thinks he's the most beautfiul thing in the world. How frustrated he must be. Seeing the thing he loves most reflected in your window and unable to touch! Poor thing. Poor, poor thing. :D

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why is the robin trying to get into my bedroom?

To tell you that the chicken's crossing the road. :)

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I've had this problem with a male Cardinal before. I always figured there's a nest somewhere close and he's trying to show the other males he's the big boy on the block. Last year one was so determined to beat his reflections butt, I had to tape black construction paper to the window so he no longer could see himself. The poor bird was basically beating himself to death. I had bird snot and blood covering the window. I figure he'd be dead before he finally figured out he was fighting with himself. I don't know about Robins since they only visit me in the winter. The only thing I know for sure about them is that they fly into my yard, eat the pepper tree berries then have a poop attack all over my back porch. :D

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
My bedroom is on first floor of my house... it is at the corner so I have one window facing south, and another window facing west.

Over the window on the south side is a balconey for one of the upstair bedrooms.. and in the eaves of the balconey there are five supporting beams that birds like to make nests in. It's cool because there is different nest in between each beam and no vacancies.. :)

There is one Robin (and I believe it's a male because of his red breast) that tries to fly into my window, when he can't get in he flies over to the other window. He does this several times during a day. In fact he work me up this morning. He also does the same thing with my grandson's window (who's room is above mine).

I know birds try to fly through windows... but this is not the case because it happens when the windows are opened and just the screen is there...

Anyone have a clue???

I don't know, Joyce, but I can commiserate. We've had a bat enter our house FOUR nights of the last eight. I think it's the same one, anyway, and we finally found the spot through which he's getting in. (Darn the remodeling and construction, which leaves temporary holes here and there...) Each night, he's buzzed from level to level in the house, finally ending up in our basement, where misterwrites and I sleep until our master bedroom is done. The sound of his wings flitting - I can't stand it! - wakes me within seconds. Hubby and I devised a system... He hovers in the doorway, so the bat can't get upstairs again, and I army-crawl (I know the bat won't smack into me, but I can't handle him coming within inches of me) to the french door. By the fourth night, it took only seconds with the doors open before he swooped out into the night. Good riddance, I say.

:D

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Robin is looking for THE nest to impress Mrs-Robin-to be--lots of bedrooms, kitchen big enough for the flock, you do have cable don't you?

The bat, well, that's a tad different...notice any paired bite marks anywhere recently? Anemia? Allergy to garlic, mirrors and anything non-black in the wardrobe?

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious?
The robin is the re-incarnation of the previous owner of the house (y'know, the one who met with the "accident"?). He's come back as a bird, but still likes to sleep indoors.

Well that can't be. We built the house and on a 5.5 acre lot, that was all forest prior to our building... But good guess.. :)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Mr Robin is looking for THE nest to impress Mrs-Robin-to be--lots of bedrooms, kitchen big enough for the flock, you do have cable don't you?

The bat, well, that's a tad different...notice any paired bite marks anywhere recently? Anemia? Allergy to garlic, mirrors and anything non-black in the wardrobe?

Well it is really strange. The entire nest is gone... and no one here touched it.