View Full Version : Any spelunkers or cavers out there?

06-02-2008, 06:37 AM
I know there has to be a word for this, but I can't find it on any of the usual online sources, and it's driving me bonkers.

In a cave, is there a name for the widened chamber at the end of a tunnel? It would almost be like a separate room, with no exits. I want to call it a cul-de-sac, but that doesn't seem quite right.

Can anyone help?


06-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I found http://www.karstwaters.org/files/glossary.pdf and got 32 hits for chamber.
Caving is good fun, but I never got into it much. Good luck finding the word you seek, and maybe that link will help you with some others.

Don Allen
06-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Caving is cool,,, I think chamber is correct but I know down in Kentucky they have Mammoth Caves and i seem to remember them giving names to the deadends you describe and of course culdesac would work....

06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I think also that it is called a "chamber", or big ones might be called a "cathedral". But I'm no spelunker, either - sorry! :)