PDA

View Full Version : Are you...

Susie
06-02-2008, 05:18 AM
ambidextrous (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=ambidextrous&spell=1)?

I'm right-handed and didn't even realize I am ambidextrous until a friend pointed it out to me. I can do several things with my left hand. Can you? Just wonderin':)

alleycat
06-02-2008, 05:20 AM
No, but I can pick up stuff with my toes! :-)

(No chimp comments, please.)

CACTUSWENDY
06-02-2008, 05:20 AM
I must be. I can type with my left hand as well as with my right.

Wow. Just never noticed it before.

Arisa81
06-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Well, I discovered in elementary school that I throw a ball amazingly well with my left hand. (I am right handed). As a matter of fact, I kick really well with my left foot/leg too. I don't know what that's about.

Mel
06-02-2008, 05:34 AM
No, but I always wanted to be. My husband is, though. Does that count? :)

icerose
06-02-2008, 05:50 AM
No, but I always wanted to be. My husband is, though. Does that count? :)

Same here. My left-hand is pretty pathetic, I go out of my way to make it do extra things to try and keep up with my right, but it will never be as good, my brain just doesn't work that way, though in typing my left hand can keep up just fine.

StoryG27
06-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Mmm, sort of. I write with my left hand, eat with either, and play all sports right handed. I have no idea what that is, but it is me.

:D

Joycecwilliams
06-02-2008, 06:06 AM
No I am just confused. My mother never wanted any of kids to be left handed... so she made us always use our right hand.. To this day I can not make a split discission on which way is left or right.. I can when I think about it... I think this is because I was suppose to be left handed but wasn't allowed to be...

Matera the Mad
06-02-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm sort of 1.5-dextrous, and confused. Right handed with a dominant left eye. I transpose a lot unless I watch my hands. I can write in both directions at once, ever since a substitute teacher demonstrated the trick. LOL. I pick fruit with either hand, but can't beat eggs left handed for lack of practice. I knead bread dough left handed.

I have no memory of having left hand use suppressed, so I guess I just growed.

Appalachian Writer
06-02-2008, 06:13 AM
My left hand is a rag. Barely functional, but then I have had six mini-strokes! Go figure. It didn't work that well before I started having what I call "the mahunkas." :D

Jersey Chick
06-02-2008, 06:14 AM

My daughter does that all the time - she's 7 and her feet are the same size as mine. :)

I am ambidextrous. My left hand is the dominant one, but there are certain things I can't do with it. I play guitar right-handed, can only play the piano with my right hand, I use scissors right-handed - I'm kind of weird that way... ;) When I was in junior high, I broke the middle finger on my left hand (insert Jersey salute joke here) and taught myself to write right-handed in very short time. My handwriting's almost identical with either hand.

Matera the Mad
06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention my toes. Used to play ball with my cat while washing dishes barefoot in summer. He retrieved ball, I picked up and threw with toes. I am ambipedal. :D

Fraulein
06-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I drive with my left hand, because I shift the stick with my right hand.

I drink while holding the cup, or whatever the container may be, in my left hand.

Fraulein
06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
You toe people should try soccer, because you have to play with your feet. It's a fun sport. I used to love to play soccer on the left side of the field, because I could kick the ball back into play with my right foot. So, I'm not ambidextrous with my feet, because my right foot is much more dominant.

DamaNegra
06-02-2008, 08:51 AM
I am ambidextrous. I can also pick up things, open doors and tie sholaces with my feet. I make the most out of my four limbs :D

Salem
06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes! I can write, throw, bat, golf, eat and do most things with both hands. However, some things tend to be easier left handed (guitar, throwing a ball, dealing cards), but other things are easier right handed (eating, cutting with scissors).

MoonWriter
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I can eat and drink coffee with both hands. Oh, and carry firewood and push a mower, and sweep, and give hugs. I can also do pushups with both hands, and when I was in school, I could raise either hand when I had a question. I'll stop now - don't like to brag. ;)

chevbrock
06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I write right-handed, can't write left-handed. I eat and play musical instruments left-handed.

It's interesting to see what people consider "ambidextrous".

See, I always assumed that only if you could write legibly with either hand, that made one ambidextrous. It seems, though, that where I previously thought that I was right-handed, that I am, in fact, ambidextrous too!

Maryn
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
To some degree, although much of it was trained out of me by a right-handed world.

I'm fairly strongly left-handed. When I was a child the school system didn't know how to deal, so I learned to write cursive with my paper skewed the wrong direction to create that desirable slant, requiring a hairpin turn at the wrist. At the time I could do it, but now that I'm older, handwriting for any length of time hurts.

In college--this is a large state university--all the desks were right-handed. I had to sit on the right side of the classroom, turn sideways in my seat, and use my lap and a binder as a replacement desk.

I never got very good at guitar because the teachers I had could not teach for the left-handed player. So I played right-handed, meaning I could finger chords very well but strum and pluck clumsily at best.

However, at home I was allowed to be my left-handed self, so I sew, scissor, stir, scrub, vacuum, move my piece on a board game, hold cards, etc. favoring my left.

Maryn, aware that if her left hand is busy, she cannot blow her nose holding the Kleenex in her right hand

Kitrianna
06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I know I am. I found out this weekend that I can paint better with my left hand then my right, but my hand writing is damn near illegible if I use my left hand and I have a tendency to let food slide off of the fork when holding it in the left hand, but it's useful if you ever sprain/break fingers...don't ask:tongue

Seaclusion
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I do most tasks requiring strength with my left hand and most tasks requiring precise dexterity with my right. When I was in school I always tried to write with my left hand but our enlightened educators told me "Only stupid people write with their left hand." I knew I wasn't stupid so I wrote with my right hand. Now my handwriting is completely illegible with either hand.

Richard

stormie
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
No, but I wish I was, especially when my right hand index finger got smashed in a window coming down on it. It's fine now, but for a month or two I was struggling to write with a pen.

Kitrianna
06-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Try spraining your ring and pinky fingers. If the splint wasn't bad enough it hurt like hell to try and drag them across a piece of paper, let alone curl them around a pen and my teachers wouldn't let me off of writing notes for a week to let them heal..the bastards!

stormie
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Yep, not easy. My finger was broken and also had several stitches. So, people, if you're not ambidextrous, practice writing with your other hand.

James81
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM

Isn't there a mexican guy who can play guitar with his feet?

dpaterso
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
The danger of being Amber Dextrous (http://dilbert.com/fast/2006-07-02/)

-Derek

JoeEkaitis
06-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Lifelong righty.