PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go to 'get away from it all'?

Upbeat
06-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Beware with your choice!
Stressed city folks visiting one small vacation lakeside town discovered a (disturbing to them) cultural difference in the 'laid back' local attitudes.
When one city guy, accustomed to instant service, angrily roared into the kitchen because the 'chef' of the best deli/restaurant in town refused to instantly shave his deli beef order, the 'chef' kicked him out of the kitchen.
First things first. This is not McDonald's.
He was busy making delicious sandwiches for a lunch crowd.
What's more, city folks buying 'get away from it all' property in such a place, are astonished at the laid back attitude of service providers.
Such providers may not instantly set a date for trash pick-up or even show up if they do.
Eventually though, the job gets done.
And so it goes - a city/small town cultural difference.
Eventually though - the city folks 'adjust', recognizing that this is what they were looking for in the first place!:Hug2:

Unique
06-02-2008, 03:52 AM
since I already live in the country... I mostly just mosey down to the barn and drink a beer.

:Shrug:works for me

WendyNYC
06-02-2008, 03:55 AM
since I already live in the country... I mostly just mosey down to the barn and drink a beer.

:Shrug:works for me

Well, mosey faster, dammit! You're in my way! ;)

Unique
06-02-2008, 04:01 AM
city slickers ... can't teach 'em a thang. if'n ya hurry - ya can't mosey

besides. it makes the beer splash out of the bottle.

WendyNYC
06-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Out here, they call us "citiots."

Snowstorm
06-02-2008, 04:11 AM
I understand what you're saying, Upbeat. I live in a "get away from it all" place. The "big city folks" who come here don't expect us to live like them. Instead and unfortunately, they come here to escape common courtesy. They bring their damn dogs and let them run loose, and are too damn lazy and unimaginative to walk so they speed around (ignoring the speed limit and courtesy to those of us who live here) in their loud stinking four-wheelers. That's why I'm already ready for winter so those spineless people who can't handle winter go away.

Pat~
06-02-2008, 04:48 AM
About 8 minutes down the road...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/pb10220/stonebriarweb.jpg

Mumut
06-02-2008, 04:59 AM
The city has caught up with me. I live only sixty kilometres from Brisbane, as the fly crows, but all the property was acreage until a few years ago. Now they're buying vast tracts of land, stripping it bare, planting houses on it and calling it Woodlands Estate and the likes. So I'm painting and tidying my place ready to sell up and move out. I'm buying a fifth wheeler - if the country runs away, I'm going to follow it.

Matera the Mad
06-02-2008, 06:14 AM
my computer

i wuvz my computer

Joycecwilliams
06-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Believe it or not... I go to NJ by myself... visit my sister and my girlfriend. Getting away from the kids and the husband awhile recharges my batteries.... If I am really flushed I'll go to San Diego to visit my daughter.

If I am stressed during the day... I go outside and walk around my property... I live in the woods... so I am always away from City life... I go to the city to get away from the chipmunks and squirrels...

lakotagirl
06-02-2008, 06:57 AM
City folk have found us too. We don't have a big problem with it. We only have three neighbors. (can't see any from our place). Two live in the city and just stay here on weekends. We really enjoy them. Don't see too much of them, but try to get together every month or so for a few beers.

We go out of our way to accept any weirdness. And make sure that they know to tell us if they are having friends or family down for the weekend. We like to do some trap shooting on weekends, but won't if they have company. I know the booming can unnerve city fold.

The other city people are transplants. I'll just say that we tolerate them. No more. No less. Wave when they drive by (15 times a day!) Stop and chat if they want to.

Our property is all in a private valley. The only access to the property is a narrow, steep road that runs right past the house. Or by rafting in. We have all the privacy we need. A great place to 'get away from it all'.

Chumplet
06-02-2008, 08:10 AM
I lock myself in the bathroom.

maestrowork
06-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I take long drives.

I also travel. By myself.

But usually I like something in between. Writing is a solitary thing and I crave interaction with people. But I also like alone times. So I usually like to be somewhere where I can be by myself, but around other people. Los Angeles, for example.

Righting
06-02-2008, 08:32 AM
oil paint and watch an alfred hitchcock movie.

Joycecwilliams
06-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I take long drives.

I also travel. By myself.

But usually I like something in between. Writing is a solitary thing and I crave interaction with people. But I also like alone times. So I usually like to be somewhere where I can be by myself, but around other people. Los Angeles, for example.

Do you live CA?

MoonWriter
06-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I take long drives.

Your book must me doing well, Maestro. :D

Me? I don't have anything I'd like to get away from.

dpaterso
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard one of those "city folks acting like jackasses in the country" stories. Hell yeah, I know a guy who knows this other guy whose third cousin overheard someone talking about this city dude who kicked up a fuss 'cause he didn't get served right away like he does in the big city, where there are never any queues or crowds, just instantaneous service!

Me, I escape to my WIP. Zombies! Zoooooommmbiiiiees!

-Derek

Liam Jackson
06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Where do you go to 'get away from it all'?

I don't.

sheadakota
06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Here;
This is my son's first time seeing the Ocean
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/sheadakota/th_atthebeach2004008.jpg (http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/sheadakota/?action=view&current=atthebeach2004008.jpg)

aspier
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
opera

http://users.skynet.be/spier/2008operapages/2008operaindex.htm

I am listening now to Srauss' controvercial 'Salome' ... so I am not here

stormie
06-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Three blocks east. With a good book and no cell phone.

Joycecwilliams
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Here;
This is my son's first time seeing the Ocean
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/sheadakota/th_atthebeach2004008.jpg (http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/sheadakota/?action=view&current=atthebeach2004008.jpg)

That is precious.

Kitrianna
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Like Unique, I live in the country, but also as Upbeat describes, I have to put up with the city folk coming out on weekends (hey I live in a trailer park and no I'm not trailer trash...the rent is affordable there). They're always in a hurry to do whatever, so no relaxing for me on the weekends, but during the week and before the season starts or after it ends, I go down to the lake (yes we have one all to ourselves) or I sit by the creek and watch the blue herons, turtles, beavers, ducks, geese or whatever there.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
When one city guy, accustomed to instant service, angrily roared into the kitchen because the 'chef' of the best deli/restaurant in town refused to instantly shave his deli beef order, the 'chef' kicked him out of the kitchen.

Please don't refer to this person as a "city guy." He is an asshole and not representative of anyone.

I can't imagine rushing in to any kitchen and confronting the chef because he didn't serve me first.

The whole tone of "us vs. them" in this thread offends me. We are not "city folk" or "country folk" we are "just folk."

SpookyWriter
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM

:Shrug:works for meWhich country might that be?

quickWit
06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I go to the PC&E forum.

WendyNYC
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Trying again.

This is where I go:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/WendyNYC/CIMG0102-1.jpg

Long Island. Or "Lawn Guyland," however you prefer to pronounce it.

Upbeat
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Shadow Ferret - In a way you're right.
In fact, I'm sure there are obnoxious small town dwellers who are frustrated and rude when visiting the city, fighting traffic, etc.,.
Let's just call it a city vs country, culturally-born trigger for tantrums.

WendyNYC
06-02-2008, 10:19 PM
In fact, I'm sure there are obnoxious small town dwellers who are frustrated and rude when visiting the city, fighting traffic, etc.,.

Here, it's more like "bewildered and slow" than "frustrated and rude." But I cut tourists a lot of slack because they spend their money in our fair city.

Oh, and it's 2:15, and the Met is 3 blocks that way.

Upbeat
06-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Here, it's more like "bewildered and slow" than "frustrated and rude." But I cut tourists a lot of slack because they spend their money in our fair city.

Oh, and it's 2:15, and the Met is 3 blocks that way.

We cut tourists some slack too, for the same reason. It's just that in this case, it was over the top!
btw - my sister lived in N.Y. and loved it.

scope
06-04-2008, 06:26 AM
1. Since I live one block from a fabulous beach in a resort town, that's a year round possibility.

2. I get in my car and drive with no predestined plans. I let the roads take me as they will. Lots of fun and adventure.

3. Whenever possible I go to Europe. That's when I truly get away from everything. Tough now, beyonf all else, given the price of the Euro vs our US dollar.