Have you found the secret of good writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
It looks so easy. Rounded, compelling characters. Believable conflict. Motivation. Great pacing, fulfillment.

So easy when done well. By good writers.

Great storytellers do it in the one medium we worship: writing -- words strung together, no movie FX.

What is the secret of good writing?

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, I don't think it's a secret, per se. It's just something elusive and intangible, with many facets. "Good writing" is easy to spot, hard to quantify.

What exactly are you asking?

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Readers who think that what you've written is good.

Honestly, I think that's the only secret to good writing there is. Even with a piece of good writing, there will be a school of thought that says it sucks.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
The secret to good writing is the ability to stare at a blank monitor (or page) until your forehead bleeds. Then stare some more.

Hardwork. Pure and simple.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
The secret to good writing is the ability to stare at a blank monitor (or page) until your forehead bleeds. Then stare some more.

Hardwork. Pure and simple.

(i just gave you an empty REP, sorry -- empty reps are, well... empty! I meant to say...)

...Stare? At the monitor? Why, I do that every day, sheesh! I must be a great writer.

:tongue

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
This seems more general than novel-specific. Moving to the roundtable.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
First it starts with a good grasp of grammar. Then spelling. Then being able to string words together, then sentences, then paragraphs. Make those words cohesive. Now find that hook to draw your readers in on the first page. Write as often as you can, even if it means early in the morning or late at night. Rewrite. Read it out loud.

I don't believe there are any secrets of good writing, just as <gasp!> there's no fountain of youth.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
It looks so easy. Rounded, compelling characters. Believable conflict. Motivation. Great pacing, fulfillment.

Great storytellers do it in the one medium we worship: writing -- words strung together, no movie FX.

A) Keep it simple.

B) Don't try something you are unprepared for. Know your subject well.

C) Realize that what you start out with is going to need a lot of revision.

D) Don't beat yourself up. Try to enjoy the creative process. You've earned it.

I wish you well in your writing endeavors. I've been away for a while--I believe we have spoken (digitally) before. Just keep at it. The craft will come if you work at it.

Mike

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it much of a secret--you have to sense and feel your story, and you have to be able to translate that to words that hold as much as possible of the story.

It's hard. But it's not a secret.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Apropos of nothing, whenever I see this thread title now, I'm reminded of a Dilbert strip and a quote by Dogbert after he gives some terrible advice: "Beware the advice of successful people; they do not seek company."

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Edit, edit, edit. Then edit some more. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

There is no secret. All is available to all. You just have to be faithful to your ability to jump off the cliff and tell your story. You have to learn all the rules and then know when to ignore them. Leave your logic at the door when you enter the land of make belief. If you don't, they'll be able to see right through it. Write real. And, for the love of God, write more better.

ASRafferty

Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought it was the ability to think yourself into a frame of reference that has no pride of authorship or allegiance to what's on the page anywhere in it... and editing til you can declare it 'good' from that perspective.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I was thinking about starting a thread like this thread today, so it's strange to see someone else having done it already.

There was a good discussion of this about two years back.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34580

Unfortunately, the thread never went into specifics. As in, discussion of the tools writers use to achieve popular appeal.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Unfortunately, the thread never went into specifics. As in, discussion of the tools writers use to achieve popular appeal.

If there was an actual answer to this question, everyone would be able to do it. There's simply not. Even publishers can't be certain which books will achieve popular appeal and which ones won't.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
CH08.jpg

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I think the secret is not to go with the crowd. 99% of what is published will survive one printing maybe. Most authors publish only one book. You are almost guaranteed failure. So, there "Is" a big difference between good and bad. There is a difference between good fiction and "blockbuster" money makers too. Often the blockbuster will make money quickly while the good writing will act like the tortoise, never dying and always bringing in a pittance. You have to write "your" story, not a story that will be out of date in the 2 years it takes to be published. I have not found any secret. All I know is that you do need to have an excellent story. There is really no reason to commit a bad story to paper. I also think that an excellent writer knows exactly how to manipulate the audience. This is a totally different subject: Rhetoric, which is taught to law students and college English majors as an elective. How to "prove" the truth of something is very important to writer. It is a pity more time is not spent on this subject. There would be less sophistry in the field today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.