I thunk up an ending for my novel!

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
This is actually kind of a big deal for me because I'm kinda like Stephen King in some ways: I start off with a gee-that's-kinda-cool situation for a small circle of interesting characters to have to deal with ... but then I don't know how to bring it all to some sort of satisfying conclusion. This happens to me with both my screenplays and my novels alike.

King mentioned that he was especially stuck with what the heck to do with his myriad characters in The Stand after they all arrived in Colorado and set up their veritable little paradise. "What now?" he thought, and scratched his head and then said to himself: "I know! A bomb! I'll pant a bomb and then kill of some people and spur the survivors into action!" And the rest is now literary and television history.

So I have sketched out a conclusion to this novel (a very long drawn out saga of post-apocalyptic survival, perhaps not too far removed from a few aspects of The Stand). And this ending is neither cheesy nor preachy nor a downer nor a cop out. It even has some symbolic and thematic depth to it. So I really think this is going to work. Now I can steer all of the master threads underlying my plotline toward this specific ending.

What a freeing thing this is!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
That's good news :)

Story writing is especially hard for me and I've finally come up with an idea that actually works, so I know how thrilled you must be!

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I know the ending to one story :: out of a multitude of them:: and it does feel good. Congratulations on figuring it out!

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that must be a weight off. Endings are important, they are.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's always an awesome feeling!