• Poll closed .

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Medium rare to rare. I don't really have a "why" except that it tastes better to me that way. Anything more than medium reminds me of shoe leather.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between rare and still moving. When I go out to eat, I usually order it med-rare though, just so I don't make my dinner companions sick! lol

At home, just show the meat the grill and then put it on my plate. YUM! :)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

LOL!! Or even better, season the meat, glance at the grill, then dig in. :)

I used to think that rare meat were more of a guy/macho thing. Then I discovered steak tartare.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
the only steak my taste buds can tolerate and enjoy these days is...

an expertly done filet mignon -- seared all around and pink in the center. any other steak is a complete waste on me, might as well give me cardboard for dinner.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between rare and still moving. When I go out to eat, I usually order it med-rare though, just so I don't make my dinner companions sick! lol

I made the mistake once of mentioning to my steak that I owned a grill. It rebelled.

If the blood's not running onto my plate, the steak is overdone. The longer it's cooked, the more flavor it loses and the tougher it becomes.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Well done.

I have a terrible fear of undercooked meat (poultry, pork, beef, doesn't matter). I *know* it's cooked and all the bacteria is dead at medium, but I can rarely do the pink.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I want mine done. If it's still mooing, then it's not for me.

You folks don't know how to cook a steak if they come out tuff. The slower you cook meat the more tender it is. You guys want to flash cook it. No wonder if it stays too long comes out tuff.

My steaks do not even need a blade to cut them. That is how tender they are. And the flavor..................yum.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
If I have a a steak that's an inch-and-a-half thick, I want the outer 1/8" charred and the rest of it squirming.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You guys can afford steak??
I like to fantasize with pictures of medium rare steak while I'm eating hamburger.

You have a Braums nearby? They've got a 5oz tenderloin, packed two to a package, in their grocery section. $4.99

You read that right.

$4.99 - not each... for BOTH of 'em!

Now, it's not like the $24.99 a pound tenderloin you'll find at the butcher's - it's the tail ends of the tenderloin wrapped up in a strip of bacon. But man! It's TASTY. Tender. Delicious.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Rare to medium rare. When I was a kid, my grandfather lived with us, and he did all the cooking. His method never changed - everything was 350 for an hour. Everything. It all tasted the same. Ever have a filet mignon baked at 350 for an hour? Shoe leather would be an improvement. :D

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
When I was younger, I liked my steaks black and blue. Now, I prefer rare. For me, a steak loses flavor and becomes tough the more it's cooked.

My better half prefers medium to medium well. Years ago, I would give the poor thing last rites and hum the funeral march when I served it. But, hey, if that's the way a person likes their steak, then who am I to say different? So, I don't do that anymore. I just serve it with a side of shoelaces.

Last edited:

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
At a restaurant, I like a thick cut like sirloin well done (it will still be pink in the middle, guaranteed... :tongue). At home, I put the steak in a sizzling pan and lid it. Once the meat is browned on one side and has changed colour all over (doesn't take long), I flip it and remove the lid to brown the other side. Crisp on the outside, mouth-watering in the middle.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I like mine medium-rare. My stepdad only made them well-done,and I grew up hating them that way. My husband makes a wonderful steak, and he's the one who first introduced me to medium-rare.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraw and wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriggly.

God love Gollum.

I like rare. REAL rare--not restaurant rare. I like the center to be slightly cool to the touch and red.

Call me a vampire, but I am picky about my steak. I refuse to eat a steak someone in my family cooks. It reminds me too much of the Charlie Chaplin routine with rolls stuck on forks to resemble shoes....only the 'shoes' are steaks that, when she cooks them, resemble nothing so much as snowshoes rescued from a housefire. *shudders*

Call it jerky and call it a day...geez