PDA

View Full Version : Well done, medium, rare

Haggis
06-01-2008, 10:23 PM
How do you like your steak?

Why?

Bubastes
06-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Medium rare to rare. I don't really have a "why" except that it tastes better to me that way. Anything more than medium reminds me of shoe leather.

kristie911
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Somewhere between rare and still moving. When I go out to eat, I usually order it med-rare though, just so I don't make my dinner companions sick! lol

At home, just show the meat the grill and then put it on my plate. YUM! :)

Stacia Kane
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Medium to medium-well. Well, no. I like it medium, but in a lot of restaurants I have to order medium-well to get it. I like only the very inside to be pink.

Why? I guess I just think it tastes best that way. :)

Bubastes
06-01-2008, 10:31 PM

LOL!! Or even better, season the meat, glance at the grill, then dig in. :)

I used to think that rare meat were more of a guy/macho thing. Then I discovered steak tartare.

Angelinity
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
the only steak my taste buds can tolerate and enjoy these days is...

an expertly done filet mignon -- seared all around and pink in the center. any other steak is a complete waste on me, might as well give me cardboard for dinner.

Haggis
06-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Somewhere between rare and still moving. When I go out to eat, I usually order it med-rare though, just so I don't make my dinner companions sick! lol

I made the mistake once of mentioning to my steak that I owned a grill. It rebelled.

If the blood's not running onto my plate, the steak is overdone. The longer it's cooked, the more flavor it loses and the tougher it becomes.

A.M. Wildman
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
If the blood's not running onto my plate, the steak is overdone. The longer it's cooked, the more flavor it loses and the tougher it becomes.

That's it right there.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Medium to medium rare. I don't want it to 'moo', but I don't want it bleedin'. :)

ChaosTitan
06-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Well done.

I have a terrible fear of undercooked meat (poultry, pork, beef, doesn't matter). I *know* it's cooked and all the bacteria is dead at medium, but I can rarely do the pink.

stormie
06-02-2008, 01:07 AM
To taste good, steak should be medium-rare. (Where's that on the poll?!)

CACTUSWENDY
06-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I want mine done. If it's still mooing, then it's not for me.

You folks don't know how to cook a steak if they come out tuff. The slower you cook meat the more tender it is. You guys want to flash cook it. No wonder if it stays too long comes out tuff.

My steaks do not even need a blade to cut them. That is how tender they are. And the flavor..................yum.

melaniehoo
06-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I voted rare but I like medium-rare. :D

OneTeam OneDream
06-02-2008, 01:12 AM
If I'm at a restaurant, Medium (b/c even $50 steak places can't get it right) but on my grill at home...Medium Rare.

Claudia Gray
06-02-2008, 01:18 AM
I always go for medium well.

Siddow
06-02-2008, 01:27 AM
If I have a a steak that's an inch-and-a-half thick, I want the outer 1/8" charred and the rest of it squirming.

BenPanced
06-02-2008, 01:58 AM
I want that sucker to scream when I put my fork and knife into it!

YAY, CARNIVORES!

CatSlave
06-02-2008, 01:59 AM
You guys can afford steak??
I like to fantasize with pictures of medium rare steak while I'm eating hamburger.

donroc
06-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Seared outside and hot pink in the middle.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-02-2008, 04:00 AM
You guys can afford steak??
I like to fantasize with pictures of medium rare steak while I'm eating hamburger.

You have a Braums nearby? They've got a 5oz tenderloin, packed two to a package, in their grocery section. $4.99

You read that right.

$4.99 - not each... for BOTH of 'em!

Now, it's not like the $24.99 a pound tenderloin you'll find at the butcher's - it's the tail ends of the tenderloin wrapped up in a strip of bacon. But man! It's TASTY. Tender. Delicious.

Jersey Chick
06-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Rare to medium rare. When I was a kid, my grandfather lived with us, and he did all the cooking. His method never changed - everything was 350 for an hour. Everything. It all tasted the same. Ever have a filet mignon baked at 350 for an hour? Shoe leather would be an improvement. :D

brianm
06-02-2008, 05:25 AM
When I was younger, I liked my steaks black and blue. Now, I prefer rare. For me, a steak loses flavor and becomes tough the more it's cooked.

My better half prefers medium to medium well. Years ago, I would give the poor thing last rites and hum the funeral march when I served it. But, hey, if that's the way a person likes their steak, then who am I to say different? So, I don't do that anymore. I just serve it with a side of shoelaces.

Jo
06-02-2008, 05:40 AM
At a restaurant, I like a thick cut like sirloin well done (it will still be pink in the middle, guaranteed... :tongue). At home, I put the steak in a sizzling pan and lid it. Once the meat is browned on one side and has changed colour all over (doesn't take long), I flip it and remove the lid to brown the other side. Crisp on the outside, mouth-watering in the middle.

Southern_girl29
06-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I like mine medium-rare. My stepdad only made them well-done,and I grew up hating them that way. My husband makes a wonderful steak, and he's the one who first introduced me to medium-rare.

mscelina
06-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraw and wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriggly.

God love Gollum.

I like rare. REAL rare--not restaurant rare. I like the center to be slightly cool to the touch and red.

Call me a vampire, but I am picky about my steak. I refuse to eat a steak someone in my family cooks. It reminds me too much of the Charlie Chaplin routine with rolls stuck on forks to resemble shoes....only the 'shoes' are steaks that, when she cooks them, resemble nothing so much as snowshoes rescued from a housefire. *shudders*

Call it jerky and call it a day...geez

StoryG27
06-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Another medium-rare vote here.

MsK
06-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't eat steak anymore, but, back when I did, it was med. rare.

Don Allen
06-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Seared outside and hot pink in the middle.

Like MY WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry don, it just seemed so right......

Dommo
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Nothing pains me more than seeing a good piece of beef being desecrated by some sick bastard making a well done steak. My friend used to be the steak chef at an upscale place near where I used to live. He HATED cooking steaks well done. First it took a long time to do it in such a way that the food was edible, secondly the folks who often ordered them were VERY finicky eaters. If the steak was just slightly underdone(as you can always cook it longer), he often had complaints.

If anything it's a violation of conventional Man-laws. In fact, if it's not a violation right now, I'm going to go an have have a meeting with my friends on this very topic, just in case such an event should arise.

Jo
06-02-2008, 11:05 AM
A chef I lived with taught me how to cook my steak well-done (see my other post above). Well-done shouldn't mean overcooked or dry. Mine are always tender and juicy, even though they're cooked through.

Sophia
06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I always ask for "very well done", and have asked for it to be cooked for longer if there is any pink in the middle. I don't mean burnt; there is a fine line where there is no charring, but there is a mouth-watering intensity of flavours as soon as the outside of the meat touches your tongue.

I've had this preference since childhood. I recall always going for the slightly overcooked fish fingers, or chips, or anything. :) One of my favourite taste memories is a bowl of what my relatives called "hunter meat", which I think is what is known here as jerky. I used to sneak to the fridge and grab pieces of it and chew away - really delicious.

drachin8
06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Medium Rare to Rare for me. My father used to overcook almost all meat when I was a kid, but there would always be a chance for me to touch true tastiness when he was marinating raw meat for fajitas. He would leave the bowl of meat marinating on the counter, and I would sneak into the kitchen and grab a piece of lovely raw fajita-flavored meat. So so so yummy. And on a perfect steak, there is something about the silky texture of that beautifully red center surrounded by a crisp almost char that sings to the soul.

Mmmmmmm.

:)

-Michelle

joyce
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I like mine medium-rare. My stepdad only made them well-done,and I grew up hating them that way. My husband makes a wonderful steak, and he's the one who first introduced me to medium-rare.

Since my father only liked his steak/roast well done, that's the way my mother cooked everthing. I grew up hating them, especially a roast. When I ventured into the real world I tasted rare steaks and roasts and have been hooked ever since. I always thought I could strap one of my mothers steaks or roasts to my feet and walk from Fl. to Utah and never miss a step. Hit my steak with a Bic lighter and I'm ready to eat.

Kitrianna
06-02-2008, 05:19 PM
I honestly prefer mine to still moo a bit, but since my choices were medium or rare and not medium rare, I had to vote on the shoe leather side. Sorry folks, but I don't think there's any reason to abuse the poor cow anymore than it already has been.

johnnysannie
06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Medium-rare. I like the meat still tender, not charred to death, with plenty of flavor.

HeronW
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
If I want blood I'll bite someone. In a steak: cooked nice brown outside, slightly pink inside. I don't like alot of marbling because I don't like fat though I know that can influence the meat to be tenderer. Marinating first can also do it, esp. if you use a citrus juice that breaks down the fibers and that taste is gone after cooking.

RLB
06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Medium rare.

Nothing pains me more than seeing a good piece of beef being desecrated by some sick bastard making a well done steak.

I can understand why people may have a psychological aversion to seeing pink in their meat (though I think they are really missing out!); what is really painful for me as a server is when they order the $35 filet well done and then proceed to cut it up into little bits and douse it with A1 sauce. I mean , really, I could have brought them a hamburger patty and it would've tasted the same after they got through with it!

slcboston
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
it should "moo" when I stab it with my fork... tastes better that way. :D

slcboston
06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Aside from steak, I also prefer my salmon as uncooked as is health-ily possible. :D

Stacia Kane
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Medium Rare to Rare for me. My father used to overcook almost all meat when I was a kid, but there would always be a chance for me to touch true tastiness when he was marinating raw meat for fajitas. He would leave the bowl of meat marinating on the counter, and I would sneak into the kitchen and grab a piece of lovely raw fajita-flavored meat. So so so yummy.

Mmmmmmm.

:)

-Michelle

Lol when I was a kid and my Mom made hamburgers my Dad and I would sneak in and steal bits of raw meat from the plate. I still occasionally take tiny bits of raw hamburger when I'm making burgers, but only if I've bought the beef somewhere like Whole Foods.

Sorry, OT.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't like steak. Especially after I found out they "age" it. (That's called decomposition, isn't it? Ew.)

But forced to eat it, I prefer it well-done. Charred, if possible. I want whatever toxins are in that "aged" meat to be burned away.

Kitrianna
06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Umm Shadow..I hate to break it to you, but the age ALL beef, even the ground up stuff.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Umm Shadow..I hate to break it to you, but the age ALL beef, even the ground up stuff.
Why? WHY!!??

ETA: I googled it and I see no mention that they age ground beef. The only reference I found was that if they grind up aged beef trimmings, it doesn't have a very long shelf-life.

Bubastes
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
In Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain that said that restaurants set aside not-so-good steaks for people who want theirs well-done. The restaurants figure that if you're going to eat well-done steak, you're not going to notice the quality anyway.

ETA: Here's the link
http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/story/0,,353236,00.html

'Saving for well-done' is a time-honoured tradition dating back to cuisine's earliest days. What happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that's been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? He can throw it out, but that's a total loss. He can feed it to the family, which is the same as throwing it out. Or he can 'save for well-done': serve it to some rube who prefers his meat or fish incinerated into a flavourless, leathery hunk of carbon.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
What happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that's been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? Why do you think I don't eat steak?

johnnysannie
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM

No, not quite.

Even all steaks are not aged; some are cut fresh even in a good supermarket with a real butcher's department.

Before he became a USDA inspector, my dad worked for 18 years in a beef packing plant. One of the highlights of payday was always a box of just killed that day, fresh, fresh beef that he bought. Excellent.

CatSlave
06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/2270752515_4b98f01378.jpg?v=0

Mmmm... Steak Tartare!!
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

Bubastes
06-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I lurves me some steak tartare!

kristie911
06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I can understand why people may have a psychological aversion to seeing pink in their meat (though I think they are really missing out!); what is really painful for me as a server is when they order the $35 filet well done and then proceed to cut it up into little bits and douse it with A1 sauce. I mean , really, I could have brought them a hamburger patty and it would've tasted the same after they got through with it!

I have a friend that does her steaks well-done and then eats it with ketchup. It makes me want to vomit. I refuse to eat steak with her anymore. It's disgusting. That poor cow gave his life just to be eaten like that? It's just wrong.

Lol when I was a kid and my Mom made hamburgers my Dad and I would sneak in and steal bits of raw meat from the plate. I still occasionally take tiny bits of raw hamburger when I'm making burgers, but only if I've bought the beef somewhere like Whole Foods.

You're not the only one...I love raw burger.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
No, not quite.

Even all steaks are not aged; some are cut fresh even in a good supermarket with a real butcher's department.

I tried searching for that and aging is done to tenderize the meat. Why would GROUND beef need to be tenderized? The grinding does that.

I have a friend that does her steaks well-done and then eats it with ketchup. It makes me want to vomit. I refuse to eat steak with her anymore. It's disgusting. That poor cow gave his life just to be eaten like that? It's just wrong.

Isn't it beef? Doesn't it become GROUND beef as you chew it? Don't you put catsup on your burger?

I don't get this whole worship thing going on here. It's a hunk of meat. You can eat it how you like.

CBumpkin
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Crispy, please. (Yeah, I know. I never order steak when I go out. Chefs hate me.)

TerzaRima
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
I actually like mine made of tempeh.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Shadow... you're missing some of the best tasting beef in the universe! I kid you not... when I do prime rib, I take the wrapping off of it and set it in the fridge on paper towels, with a paper towel draped over the top. I let it age there for several days - 'til it's really ugly. Then I rub it with Prime Rib Rub from Penzey's Spices and Oh. My. Gods. Exquisite.

Shadow_Ferret
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Shadow... you're missing some of the best tasting beef in the universe! I kid you not... when I do prime rib, I take the wrapping off of it and set it in the fridge on paper towels, with a paper towel draped over the top. I let it age there for several days - 'til it's really ugly. Then I rub it with Prime Rib Rub from Penzey's Spices and Oh. My. Gods. Exquisite.
We do that when we've forgotten something is in the fridge. Then we throw it out. Ptomaine is not your friend.

But at least you're using the best spices in the world. ;)

Kitrianna
06-04-2008, 08:57 PM
We do that when we've forgotten something is in the fridge. Then we throw it out. Ptomaine is not your friend.

But at least you're using the best spices in the world. ;)

Shadow, love, I felt the same way you did when I first heard that they aged beef, but then I thought, well I like the way it tastes and I haven't died from it yet and I got over it. The aging takes place in very sanitary conditions, it won't kill you, honest.

Soccer Mom
06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Medium-rare, definitely. Oh yeah, we split a cow with my folks every year and I love aging my own beer.

This year my dad has decided we need two calves so we can each have a whole one. Um...I think I"m going to be trolling this forum for beef recipes.

Shadow_Ferret
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Shadow, love, I felt the same way you did when I first heard that they aged beef, but then I thought, well I like the way it tastes and I haven't died from it yet and I got over it. The aging takes place in very sanitary conditions, it won't kill you, honest.
Well, to be honest, I really don't like the taste, rare, medium-rare, or burned. To me a hamburger tastes light years better. And really, I'm lazy. I hate all that chewing. So on the occassion that I'm forced to eat it (like gettogethers with the family where they ask what we want then say, "well, we're having steak." Then why did you ask?) I eat it charred.

CBumpkin
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm not a vegetarian, but I've been finding lately that I like living life without meat. I just feel better by a wide margin. Time to listen to the body on that, I think.

Shadow_Ferret
06-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm not a vegetarian, but I've been finding lately that I like living life without meat. I just feel better by a wide margin. Time to listen to the body on that, I think.
Not everyone's body is the same though. My body, for instance, cannot digest vegetation.

CatSlave
06-04-2008, 11:52 PM
I tend to eat with the seasons as my appetite changes.
Wintertime is naturally for hearty meals, stews, sauerkraut in everything...
The minute the weather warms up I crave salads.
So, listen to your body.