PDA

View Full Version : Once again ... the fork!

aspier
06-01-2008, 12:31 PM
When you find a fork in the road, take it, ok? Its pretty good advice in this times of ... whatever. No?

Devil Ledbetter
06-01-2008, 02:38 PM
When you find a fork in the road, take it, ok? Its pretty good advice in this times of ... whatever. No?
People really shouldn't leave perfectly good silverware lying about in the streets.

If it's just some cheap flatware though, no, I wouldn't take it.

Mumut
06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
This is a very general question and the answer depends upon many things. A young person might take a turn which looks rocky and dangerous while an older person would not. A person with a physical disability, likewise.

brokenfingers
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Whenever I find a fork in the road, it only confirms a lesson I learned a long time ago:

There is no spoon...

aspier
06-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Whenever I find a fork in the road, it only confirms a lesson I learned a long time ago:

There is no spoon...

Good student ... when was that?

KTC
06-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Just don't eat with it.

brokenfingers
06-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Good student ... when was that?When I realized that the Matrix was a lie designed to seduce and enslave us.

Now, I'm free.

Wake up, people. There is no spoon.

KTC
06-01-2008, 05:25 PM
But I like spooning.

aspier
06-01-2008, 05:33 PM
But I like spooning.

Spawning is the word if you handle some kind of dialect, yes? No?

KTC
06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Spawning is the word if you handle some kind of dialect, yes? No?

No. The word is spooning.

aspier
06-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Ok + smile. You know that song 'if you can spoon as I can spoon we can spoon the whole night through'. Forks aren't up your way? This fork thing is a buddhist saying by a grand master of heavy learning - the way I get it is that it is immaterial whatever you choose in life, etc. (which is really kind of true ... I think) I just line the wordplay in it. Fork fork, get it. Some people seem to take it for real.

Medievalist
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
When you find a fork in the road, take it, ok?

Robert Frost (18741963)
The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Mountain Interval (http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html), 1920.

aspier
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey nice to see you again Medieavalist! Lovely post, tnx. Have you seen my site lately? http://users.skynet.be/spier/index.htm Give me the link to yours too, ok?

William Haskins
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM

There is no spoon...

for it ran away with the dish.

Ken
06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
funny thread :-D

aspier
06-01-2008, 09:02 PM
funny thread :-D

which? the left one?

MattW
06-01-2008, 09:03 PM
for it ran away with the dish.
And refused to acknowledge it's love child, the spork.

Ken
06-01-2008, 09:07 PM
which? the left one?

the left one is the right one ;-)

aspier
06-01-2008, 09:11 PM
who got a compliment (one day) from the dork but its mother had told it never to accept things from strangers at the side of the road at the fork ... ah, stupid! I'm going to eat now using a knive only, bye.

aspier
06-01-2008, 09:12 PM

oh this is tops!!!! Cool Anis + chapeau (lift of the hat in acknowledging superiority)

aspier
06-01-2008, 09:13 PM

they say 'I couldn't get it right the first time but the second time I got it right right from the first ... time'

Joke doesn't quiet work in English, sorry.

Ken
06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
still pretty funny :-)

aspier
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM

mm both of them

aspier
06-01-2008, 09:31 PM

And this one ... (I am an anthropologist + Darwin and so on) 'Man's most dangerous possession is a woman in ovulation. There's always those other apes lurking in the background'

rofl at my own joke! sorry! Maybe its a fork joke too?

KTC
06-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Ah. The cow. Always forgotten. It's not easy to jump over the moon, you know!

Susie
06-02-2008, 01:43 AM
I'll take the fork in the road, but I'd also like to take the spoon and dip it in some chocolate pudding. :)

EriRae
06-02-2008, 03:01 AM
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it," only works when you're on your way to Yogi Berra's house. Or if you live on a cul de sac like he does.

aspier
06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it," only works when you're on your way to Yogi Berra's house. Or if you live on a cul de sac like he does.

and do then get there?

EriRae
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
You do if he gave you a description of his house.

Mumut
06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I wonder what they called it in Great Britain before the eighteenth century when people used only a spoon and knife to eat?

aspier
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
intresting question ... when was the fork first 'invented' and by whom? re Brittan ... thery still eat like that ... Macdonalds and so on.

Mumut
06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
intresting question ... when was the fork first 'invented' and by whom? re Brittan ... thery still eat like that ... Macdonalds and so on.

China had forks to eat with in the sixth century. Italy had them in the 1600's. UK didn't take to them as anything but a curiosity until about 1805.

But you're right about a general rejection of them (like fish and chips (and vinegar, of course from newspaper wrapping). The church was dead against this. There is a quote that such an affectation was purely vanity. Why had God given us fingers if we go and eat with forks?

So in the UK 'a fork in the road' could mean a punch-up!

Stew21
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm just going to sit back and laugh with the little dog.

aspier
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I'll take the fork in the road, but I'd also like to take the spoon and dip it in some chocolate pudding. :)

susie there's no spoon in the road, only a fork

(who started this spoon crap???? its a fork thread ... and actually there's no visible fork in the road either ... its the forking road that's forking )

Medievalist
06-03-2008, 04:53 AM
China had forks to eat with in the sixth century. Italy had them in the 1600's. UK didn't take to them as anything but a curiosity until about 1805.

There were, however, forks in roads, and forks as tools for farmers and for large chunks of meat whilst cooking.

Middle English forke, digging fork, from Old English forca and from Old North French forque, both from Latin furca.

Aspier, the "there is no spoon" is a reference to the movie The Matrix, so while this is a forking thread [cough] the spoon works, too.

aspier
06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
There were, however, forks in roads, and forks as tools for farmers and for large chunks of meat whilst cooking.

Middle English forke, digging fork, from Old English forca and from Old North French forque, both from Latin furca.

Aspier, the "there is no spoon" is a reference to the movie The Matrix, so while this is a forking thread [cough] the spoon works, too.

Good to have you on this 'digging' ... furca and forca ... force? spooning force or force it with the spoon. The word spoon too is weird ... oval, moon. Yet a tool. The tools for the farmer in the road ... they had to decide what tool to use + the working on the fields or the not working on the fields ... a descision that has concequences. From there I think this 'forking' that suggests 'roads' and the roads in a metaphysical manner came about. The fork is a descision. Yet of course its also purely practical the 'which road you are taking' Eastern or western? Buddhism seems to want to demolish this 'importance'.

Oidipus? He forked it up, didn't he. Probably killed his father with a fork. Any phalic references connected to a fork? Has a fork got teeth? Vagina dentata? Or do the seperate fingers of the fork represent 4 different choices? Always 4 'fingers' on a fork? 4 = architype for the psyche, the tetrakis that comes in everybody's dreams. I call it the queen.

Is it wise to take the fork?

aspier
06-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Why did people start making farmers tools smaller and try put it in their mouthes? The fork? In famine times?