• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is a question always a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's the scene in a nutshell.

Bob is continually asking Jane if she's okay, if she's hurt, etc.
Jane is becoming exasperated and says, "I fine. Will you knock it off, already."

The way I hear it in my head this is more of an order or command rather than a question. Do I need a question mark? In this case is it a statement or a rhetorical question?

I know I could simply take out the "will you" and just say "knock it off." But I feel the "will you" emphasizes her exasperation and sounds more real to life.

And, while I'm at it, do I need the comma before the "already."

Thanks!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Use the question mark. It's still a question. The readers will know what the character means. Or else, say:

"I'm fine. Knock it off already."

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I vote it could be a question or a droll statement. In dialogue, a question mark implies a specific inflection.

-Derek

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I've seen that type of question-without-a-question-mark construction used in published works. Joan Didion (one of my favorite authors) uses it regularly to show that her characters are speaking with a certain inflection.

"What are you doing?"
When I read this, I hear the character's voice going up at the end of the sentence.

"What are you doing."
When I read this, I hear the character's voice coming out as sounding sarcastic, angry, or annoyed.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I think as a reader it would distract me to see a question without a question mark.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I keep thinking of more questions/statements/commands in this vein.

Will you grow up?
Will you get over here?
Will you calm down?

This looks alright to you? To me, these all sound more like a command than a question.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's the scene in a nutshell.

Bob is continually asking Jane if she's okay, if she's hurt, etc.
Jane is becoming exasperated and says, "I fine. Will you knock it off, already."

The way I hear it in my head this is more of an order or command rather than a question. Do I need a question mark? In this case is it a statement or a rhetorical question?

I think the question mark is good enough. The "already" at the end makes it more of a command. It gives an edge of exasperation.
Compare "Will you knock it off" to "Will you knock it off already". The latter sounds more fed up like the person saying it has had it with being asked.
Alternatively you could just have her say "Knock it off already!" or even "Oh, knock it off already!"

]

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Well due to the different ways you can write this you can make it a question or a command. If you want to keep it the way you have it just to keep a sense of characterization or personality to the story I'd have to go with question mark. My reason is because without even looking at the punctuation you used at the end I read it as though Jane is asking him to knock it off.

"Will you knock it off already?"
"Will you knock it off already."

Which looks right to you? I'd have to say the first one. Also about the comma.

"Will you knock it off, already?"

In my opinion I wouldn't use one. I don't know everything about commas so I can tell you for sure if you should or shouldn't use it but how I read it there is no pause in her voice and I think that might be how you should decide whether or not if you want to use it or not.

"Will you knock it off [pause] already?"
"Will you knock it off already?" [No pause]

Grammatically, I can honestly say I don't think a comma is needed unless you want a pause, but again, I don't know everything about commas.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
In dialog, the rules bend like spaghetti. If it is not spoken as a question, with the rising inflection, I think the question mark is definitely out of place--whether or not the words would constitute a question in another context. The idea is to indicate how it is said, not pass a test. Same reason we use fragments.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
"Will you knock it off, already?"

In my opinion I wouldn't use one. I don't know everything about commas so I can tell you for sure if you should or shouldn't use it but how I read it there is no pause in her voice and I think that might be how you should decide whether or not if you want to use it or not.

"Will you knock it off [pause] already?"
"Will you knock it off already?" [No pause]

Grammatically, I can honestly say I don't think a comma is needed unless you want a pause, but again, I don't know everything about commas.

I agree and I don't want a pause. My instinct is to leave it out, but I see this type of thing in books I've read and I'm just not sure anymore.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In its meaning, it is recognised that something that is grammatically a question might be used to demand, describe or do other things. But they are still conventionally given the question mark.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind seeing the occasional grammatical question with a period at the end. Just don't overdo it, and don't use it at all when a question mark doesn't really affect the meaning much, like when we can tell from context how the words are said.

Like with every device, use sparingly.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Personally the lack of a question mark would stop me. It's constructed as a question, even if it's a command/request. Contextually there's no question it's not a question. But grammatically it still needs a question mark. I understand that in some modern literature the question mark is dropped in favor of a period or comma, but that doesn't sit well with me.

"What are you doing." just reads wrong to me.

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. A question without a question mark draws attention to itself. At least, for me it does. I notice, "ohh, the author didn't user a question mark" instead of "nice dialogue."

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I can hear it in my head, and I'm fine without a question mark. I utilize this myself at times (probably more than I should), so it doesn't jar me. Based on the responses above though it's apparently a style preference.

Regarding the comma, I'm iffier. I read it without the comma here, especially since the character is exasperated and not prone to use proper pauses in speech. But it could go either way.

I'm guessing the end answer is up to you!

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I can hear it in my head, and I'm fine without a question mark. I utilize this myself at times (probably more than I should), so it doesn't jar me. Based on the responses above though it's apparently a style preference.

Regarding the comma, I'm iffier. I read it without the comma here, especially since the character is exasperated and not prone to use proper pauses in speech. But it could go either way.

I'm guessing the end answer is up to you!

I have a lot of trouble with some commas sometimes. In my head, I hear the phrase without a pause, but grammatically I've read there is supposed to be a comma.

Ex; I love you, too.
I often see "too" preceded by a comma, but I don't hear the pause. Is this a style choice or a grammar rule?.

Status
Not open for further replies.