PDA

View Full Version : I FINISHED IT!!!

Paichka
05-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Today, Saturday the 31st of May, at 8:17pm...I finished my WIP!

It is 74,613 words (315 pages) of FINISHED HIGH FANTASY!

Okay, so it probably needs about 15k more...but that's for the edits, right? I'm just completely shocked and over the moon that I had a story in my head, and characters, and everything, and I managed to put them all together in a coherent narrative, and make up bad guys, and world build, and all that sort of this -- AND I FINISHED IT!!!

WHOO HOOO!

Bar tab's on me, guys. Coronas all around!

dawinsor
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Congratulations, Paichka. That's an enormous accomplishment.

Perks
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
You wonderful, diligent creature! Congratulations and enjoy the glow.

JoNightshade
05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Woot!!! Congratulations!

mikeland
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Congrats, Paichka! That's great!

Mel
05-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Way to go, Paichka, Congratulations!!!!!!

dgiharris
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
That's my girl!!!

Way to go. I know you will be a writing force to be reckoned with.

I have no doubt that I'll see your book in Barnes and Nobles X'mas time next year :)

Mel...

Fenika
06-01-2008, 02:25 AM
What Pai didn't mention is she did most of it in the last few days! I'm still trying to pry it outta her how she did it, lol.

Congrats!

Cheers,
Christina

PS- Watch out, I'm right behind ya ;)

Karen Duvall
06-01-2008, 03:25 AM
That's so wonderful, Paichka! Finishing a novel is no small feat. And you may not have to add all 15K words. A story needs to be as long as it needs to be. Publishers are taking on shorter books these days anyway. Paper cost increases. And shorter books mean more fit on a store's shelf.

JJ Cooper
06-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Congrats. Well done.

JJ

joyce
06-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Congratulations! Can I have a Bud light though?:)

BigRed
06-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Fantastic!! And now the real work (editing) begins! Congratz! :Clap:

Barber
06-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Wicked!!!

Is it possible you won't need 15K more words? I don't read high end fantasy, but I know books between 70K and 90K are the perfect range.

Either way, fleshing it out / trimming down will be a fun step.

Congratz!!!!

Gray Rose
06-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Congratulations!! That's awesome!

Paichka
06-01-2008, 12:31 PM
:partyguy:

Thanks everyone, for joining the party!

I worked it out the bartender -- go ahead on and get whatever you like. I'm drinking a Pomegranate Martini. (Joyce -- bud light's on tap, have at it!)

As far as the 15K extra words -- well, the BONES of the story are there -- I was thinking about it last night (as I was clutching all 140-some printed pages to my chest in glee) and there's a plot point I need to expand on...something I reference in the climax that needs to get references earlier...I need to add a POV scene for my bad guys...etc etc etc.

But, I'm also not allowed to look at it again for at LEAST a week (hubs' orders). I'm thinking I'll pass it off to betas, let them tear through it, tell me what needs to get added (or maybe taken away, who knows). Then I'll settle in for some serious editing. Highlighters and red pens abound!

Mel -- haha that'd be awesome, but I need to get an agent first, right? :)

Holy sh*t...I'm going to need to start querying eventually, aren't I? :jaw:

Christina -- dude, I'm waiting for it! I'm a total BIC-believer now. I had stalled on this, COMPLETELY...for a couple of months...and then I had a brainwave -- what happens if Ilya (one of my POVs) spends the first half of the book in jail? And I knocked out 25k words over 7 days (mostly by foregoing sleep.)

Then it all came together. And can we TALK about how awesome my climactic scene is? :p I had so much fun writing it!

Anyway, I'm totally gushing here...sorry. :) This is just awesome because I've proven to myself that I CAN actually write and finish a book. Hopefully now, it's a book someone wants to read. :D

cheers, yall!

Fenika
06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
:e2woo:

Looking forward to convos on climax (ha)

BIC, got it. In fact, I started on that yesterday ;)

Cheers,
Christina

xiaotien
06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
that is awesome, pai!
and high fantasty?? WOOO HOOOO!!!

CONGRATS!!

:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

/bootay shake!!

/bootay shake!!

Saundra Julian
06-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Way to go, congratulations!

Pike
06-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Coming from someone who is having one hell of a time getting started, I tip my hat to you - then toss back a cold one. Congrats!

Pike

MsK
06-02-2008, 07:20 AM
:Sun:Congratulations. I know what an accomplishment that is! You should feel great that you have done something many people only dream about.

OneTeam OneDream
06-02-2008, 07:26 AM
That's step 2!!! (Step one was putting pen to paper...or fingers to keys...you get the point)

That's fantastic!!! Way to go!