Astonishing X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
other than a couple weak issues revolving around "Danger" i thought this was probably the best interpretation of the x-men ever.

i love love loved morrison's take on it, but i think whedon beat him by a smidge here. kitty is now one of my new favorite characters, he did an amazing job with her.

all around, just an excellent series.

hope others have read it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
O RLY?

kitty is now one of my new favorite characters, he did an amazing job with her.

I preferred me in the original Claremont incarnation! :tongue But I have to say I've read part of 'Astonishing' and it's surely the best X-Men they've done in years.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard great things about this series, although I don't really read comics in the serialized format. I read tons of manga as a kid, I read Watchmen last summer (loved it!) but the only comic series I read regularly is the new Buffy.

I love Whedon to pieces--where would I start with this?

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Warren Ellis is taking over the title, he's a pretty good writer. I hope he can keep it on a steady, coherent keel. I love the guy's work, but he tends to rely on shock value tactics. ^_^ I read his take on the X-characters (brief article in the Wizard magazine) and I'm excited because Cyclops probably won't be treated as a jobber. Thank gawd. ^_^

-An

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the Best Comic Series of the Last Decade

I recently sat down and read all 25 issues and it holds together much better than I originally thought.

Before Joss Wheldon got hold of her, Kitty Pryde was one of my least favorite X-Men ever. He took a sadly undernourished character and gave her depth and complexity she never had before. He obviously liked writing her.

John Cassady's art...simply gorgeous. He draws Wolverine as the squat little pain-in-the-ass brawler he is and is the first one to make the cat-Beast tolerable.

Joe Quesada gets his share of grief as the editor of Marvel for some of his decisions, but pairing Wheldon (who had never worked for Marvel or DC before) and Cassady (notoriously slow at times) was one of his best moves.

This has been the only X-book I've purchased over the last few years and it was easily one of the top five titles Marvel had. I'm glad they had the good sense to leave Wheldon and Cassady alone and out of the bloated crossovers and events that the comic industry leans on like a crutch now.

This worked so well, I wonder why Marvel doesn't make it the template for the other X-books which are so cluttered and directionless as to be almost impossible to follow.

Highly recommended. :Clap:

Bagoth

Registered
Reaction score
I like Whedon, it irritates me that he's treated as God's gift to comics sometimes but I thought his run was decent. Was it better than the other X titles. And nighttimer start picking up some of the x-titles, especially X-Force, the direction they're taking it is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.