The 'long' songs from the '70's...Hotel California etc.

Hermit

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone write songs like the 'old' days? The songs were long with lots of variations in sound and sort of told a story.

Hotel Califonia by the Eagles is one and Bohemiam Rhapsody (sp?) by Queen and even Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf are examples.

These songs went on for 5 mintues or more. Do groups still exist that sing/perform like that? Or is just plain 'old' now and not acceptable?

I'm just curious.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
new ones

Hermit said:
Does anyone write songs like the 'old' days? The songs were long with lots of variations in sound and sort of told a story.

Hotel Califonia by the Eagles is one and Bohemiam Rhapsody (sp?) by Queen and even Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf are examples.

These songs went on for 5 mintues or more. Do groups still exist that sing/perform like that? Or is just plain 'old' now and not acceptable?

I'm just curious.

Cohen's 'Don't pass me by' = 17 min! I think the thing is music's 'function' has changed. records are not anymore made for listening and experiencing = form of art, etc. Even the life takes are casted. Its a commercial time issue. Radio stations even cut off last bits of records! The world is going down. Evereything is pre pre pre and over and over again. Where I am they are still playing c rap from the 50ties.

I second you on tour quest for finding 'long songs'. New ones!

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
American Pie comes to mind, too.

I think Aspier is right; there may be longer songs, but they're not the singles any more. Every songwriter I know aims for 3:20 if they're writing a single.

Springsteen's "Desolation Row" (about writers) is 11 minutes long.

I find Latin and other world music more flexible in terms of length; then again, when there are lyrics, I'm not sure what they 're saying, but I love the music.

Then there are Phish jams which, while not exactly songs, can last up to several hours ;)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The old songs

Hmmm. Just finished a masterful, epic post for this board, but my session timed out and I lost the lot. Probably for the best; like that 27-minute live 'Dazed and Confused' I pretended to like in high school, it's best left to drift away. I'll leave it at this:

Stan Ridgway: Known for 'Mexican Radio'; also produced brilliant tales with a twangy, desert noir aesthetic, spinning yarns about reporters, nutty neighbours, factory workers deranged from years of inhaling toxic dust, cabbies, and GI's.

Mose Allison's Long Song is a good-natured ribbing of the genre:
I'll have to come up with a line or two
About how I just can't go on without you
Or maybe that old standby:
I'm gonna love you 'till the day I die

If that ain't long enough
I just might forget about all that stuff
And tell 'em how you did me wrong
What this show needs is a long song

Great topic!

Last edited:

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Loooong song? Inagodadavida by Iron Butterfly. (1968 but close enough..;) )
17 minutes, I think it was...

I think the days of long kick azz songs like the ones that've been posted are loooong gone. Sad.

gabbleandhiss

1% Irish, 99% blarney
Registered
Reaction score

Guns N' Roses - "November Rain" (Released as a single in 1992. Clocks in just under 9 minutes, I believe. Reached #2 on the Top 40.) They have quite a few lengthy tracks, actually: November Rain, Estranged, Coma, Locomotive (to name a few.

Pink Floyd was fond of long songs, as well.

The Doors -- "The End"

Elton John and Bernie Taupin created many long tracks.

Don McLean -- "American Pie"

Metallica's "The Unforgiven" hit the Top 40 circa 1992. I believe it was a good 6 minutes long.

The Clash.

Television -- "Marqee Moon" (a little over 10 minutes long)

http://www.dprp.net/longsongs/longsongs.php

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's new?

gabbleandhiss said:
Guns N' Roses - "November Rain" (Released as a single in 1992. Clocks in just under 9 minutes, I believe.)

http://www.dprp.net/longsongs/longsongs.php

Forgot about Marquee Moon... also, The Damned's 'Curtain Call' (ca. 1980) -- a brilliant, epic album side; if you haven't heard it, its beauty is startling, as is its scope.

None of us can come up with much that isn't 10, 20, 30 or more years old!

Hmmm: no one has mentioned Grandmaster Flash's 'The Message'. Even if rap isn't your thing, this is a classic.

So, um... what's new???

gabbleandhiss

1% Irish, 99% blarney
Registered
Reaction score

I think most of the following were radio singles:

Fiona Apple - "Slow Like Honey" (just under 6 minutes)
Nine Inch Nails - "Closer" (6 minutes)
Radiohead - "Everything In Its Right Place" (almost 6 minutes)
Radiohead - "There There" (a little over 5 minutes)
Tool - "Schism" (over 6 minutes)
Tool - "Forty-Six and 2" (6 minutes)

Reaction score
I know CCR's 'Heard It Through The Grapevine' was a looooooong one. I remember listening to it on the way to Florida for spring break. I swear it lasted through the whole State of Tennessee.

No, most bands these days are not doing songs over 4 minutes, let alone 5. Unless they are big stars, then they can do that kind of stuff.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I imagine people have been conditioned (not just through radio, but through TV as well) to have shorter attention spans as well...

Not to mention the amount of airtime a music video would take for a 20 minute song...