It's gone... IT'S ALL GONE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Dear fellow writers, I haven't been on these forums in a bit now, because I was really busy with lots of school assignments and exams. My dilemma, however, comes as I try to get back to my usual writing routine: I have completely lost all ability to write or to craft stories. I don't understand it... I suppose that's what they call writer's block? It's really, really frustrating that I can't write anything and my life sucks so bad right now because of this impediment. Please, fellow writers: HELP ME! How do I get over this? Have you been through a phase where writing just seemed impossible and words just... stopped flowing? How did you overcome it? I'm really depressed; my writing wasn't that good to start with, now I can't even... Argh! Sorry to bother you with my frustrastions... I just needed some writers to talk to.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, it's okay. Calm down. Deep breath. I've been there, most of us have. It does suck, but here's the good news, it does end. You'll get lots of different advice on how to beat it, force yourself to sit down and write even if it is pure crap 'cuz it'll get the juices flowing again, or some say don't force it, do something else, relax and your muse will find you. Truthfully, you have to find what works for you, but it sounds like you LOVE writing, so trust me, something will click, something will work, and writing will come, just don't stress out about it. We're always here to help you through these times.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title I was afraid it was going to be another hard disk crash...

But anyway, you might want to join us for the Sunday Night Flash Fiction Challenge (forum password is flashed), we have fun on the chat in between writing and/or looking for inspiration from the prompt.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try the flash fiction, Virector. The key to breaking the jam is to write something. Anything. Write fan fic if you want, just write. You might also try the writing games part of the forum and see if that stimulates you.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Just relax. Sometimes the words don't come.

You can try to force it if you want, but that doesn't always work (and sometimes it backfires disastrously).

You said you were busy with finals and projects. It's possible your brain just need a little bit of downtime to cope with all the deep thinking you did. Give it a few days.

One thing that helps me get the "juices" back is, embarrassingly enough, games. I pop in Battlefront or World of Warcraft and within an hour I'm itching to write (usually strictly sci fi or fantasy, depending on which game it is, but...yeah). Dunno how helpful that is, but it works on moi.

Don't beat yourself up. That will just make it worse. Muses are fickle things.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
You have to ease back into it. We've all suffered from this affication. Start out with 15 minutes a day and like Storygirl suggested just write the first thing that comes to mind. The key to getting back into writing in not to give up on yourself. Stick to it and you'll get it back.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You are under attack by the Inner Editor. Because you got sidetracked for a while by the demon Real Life, Inner Editor had a chance to revel in your nonproductivity. Now he wants to keep you unproductive.

Free-write him back into the closet -- Inner Editors cannot abide free-writing, because they need you to stop every few words so they can carp at the inutterable dreck you've just smeared on the paper or screen.

Here's how. Write for a set period every day, as fast as you can, any kind of nonsense. If you persevere, you'll start to find bits of story coming out in the torrent. Go with them, always fast, never stopping to agonize, until you have produce a huge pile of crap with a story in it. Then dig the story out. At this point, the Inner Editor can help. Hand him a shovel, but be ready to hip-check him back into the closet if he doesn't behave.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Beatle's,,,, when I lose it,, I pop them in and for some reason I get inspired...

Good day Sunshine--- big motivator.....

Status
Not open for further replies.