Housewarming Party Ideas

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
We are hosting a housewarming party for my brother and his wife on Sunday. It will need to be finger foods and the like because people are going to be coming in and out. I'm going to make Celina's crepes, definitely. We are on a budget and need to do this as inexpensively as possible, but I also want it to be nice. Any ideas for me?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pigs-in-a-blanket, cheeseballs, deviled eggs, chocolate cake with either peaches or ice cream, crackers and an assortment of cheeses, chicken and biscuits, chips and dips, sliced cucumbers in a vinegarite . . .

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
sausage cheeseballs, a nachos bar (tortilla chips, salsa, con queso, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, jalapenos), I like the chicken and biscuits idea (I use shredded chicken--just boil the chicken in an herb-stepped water. Shred the chicken--if you want to make it more cohesive, you can make it into chicken salad--and then pile it on biscuits. Be sure you offer condiments for it (mayo and mustard specifically). Brownies or homemade cookies--can't go wrong with either one.

And you might want to try cauliflower salad. *grin* It's just like potato salad, except you substitute cauliflower for the potatoes and leave out the mustard. Cook, refreshing, and decidedly tasty--especially with minced onions, hard boiled eggs, and maybe just a hint of pickle. I've also tried this with half cauliflower and half potatoes--very good.

Ummmmmmm...crab dip. But a can of flaked crab meat, mix it with a bar of softened cream cheese. Place in baking dish, sprinkle cheddar ( I use lots--like a whole bag), paprika, and parsley flakes on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbling and the cheese on top is golden brown. Serve warm with crackers --wheat thins or Ritz or Sociables. The crab dip itself costs about 5 bucks to make and it's a winner with everyone.

Ummmm....either pitchers of Sangria (if it's an alcohol friendly event) or homemade lemonade.

Nothing wrong with a big loaf of artisan bread or some baguettes and a cheese selection either.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so doing that crab dip. It sounds wonderful, and my brother adores anything with crab. It's not really an alcohol friendly event (none of us drink), so I was thinking of doing a punch. But, lemonade sounds really good, too.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Homemade lemonade with lemon slices floating in it ---yum! Perfect for any party IMO.

Of course, at my parties it's sangria all the way.

If you were having a more formal event, I have lots of other recipes that would work. But even at formal occasions, I use that crab dip. It's teh awesome.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
My brother and his wife didn't want formal. We'll have a bunch of kids running around, so it's best for it not to be. The crab dip does sound awesome though.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Bake a ham and serve it whole with biscuits and an assortment of mustards and other condiments.
Everyone likes to pick on a ham. Or a turkey.

Ambrosia: 2 grapefruits, 6 oranges, a pineapple and a fresh coconut.
Section fruits over a bowl (no peels or pith) and set extra juice aside.
Chop pineapple into small pieces and add. Mix in grated fresh coconut.
Sprinkle with a bit of confectioner's sugar if desired. Heavenly!
(Drink the extra juice yourself.)

There are festive non-alcoholic fruit "wines" available in liquor stores and markets.
Peach or pear wines are particularly good. Or sparkling apple cider.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Dips are always winners as finger food and that crab dip does sound delicious. Here's one that gets requests for the recipe every time and it’s easy and inexpensive.

BRIAN’S WARM SALSA DIP

2- 8 ounce blocks of cream cheese
1 ½ cups – mild salsa (I use La Victoria - Salsa Suprema)
1 – bunch of cilantro (chopped)
1- bunch of green onion (chopped)
1 – small can chopped black olives
1 - small can chopped green chilies
Pinch of cumin (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a 2-quart microwaveable container. Heat on high in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Heat on high an additional 3-4 minutes or until dip is hot. Stir once more. Serve with tortilla strips/chips.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I make mini ham and cheese cups that are always a hit. You'll need a mini muffin tin (or two). Just purchase pie crusts and roll them out a bit thinner, cut them into small circles a little bigger than the tin (I use a juice glass for this). Take some deli ham and some deli swiss and cut into tiny cubes. Smoosh the pie crusts into muffin tin (they don't have to be perfect, or even reach all the way to the top), put several cubes of ham and cheese in each cup, and then fill with a mixture of two eggs beaten with a couple tablespoons of half and half. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. These are excellent when made the day before and reheated.

I also make a slamming muffelleta stromboli. Use refrigerated pizza dough and stretch it out to a large rectangle on a greased baking sheet. On one half of the dough, layer sliced ham, genoa salami, mozarella cheese (I use shredded, but you could use sliced)and diced green olives. I do a total of two layers (ham. salami, cheese, olives, ham, salami, cheese, olives) then fold the other half of the dough over the top and pinch the edges to seal. Cut several slits in the top crust, bake at 400 for 15 minutes or so. Sometimes I have to flip it over and let it bake for a few extra minutes to crisp up the bottom, but don't worry, all the good stuff doesn't run out of the slits. Let it cool for a few minutes and then slice it into finger-food size. I took this to a garden party and it was a huge hit.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It's not quite a finger food and it does take a bit of time so you may not want to do it, but...

You take oranges and cut off the top in a fun fashion so it looks good, then you scoop out the guts and combine it with orange jello, mandarine oranges, and whipped topping, then you stuff the oranges until the stuffing is at the top, accenting the fun cut you made, then put them on a tray and serve. These are delicious, fairly healthy and light.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another one. I love these and this is a lower fat healthier version I just found.

Princess Tea Cakes

3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup very finely chopped nuts, such as pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Pour oil into a medium bowl. Whisk all-purpose flour, white whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch and salt in another bowl.
3. Mix half the dry ingredients into the oil by spoonfuls. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add vanilla. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients by spoonfuls until thoroughly combined. (The mixture will resemble creamed butter and brown sugar.) Stir in nuts.
4. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls; place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies until just set, being careful not to let the bottoms get too brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
6. When the cookies are still warm, but no longer hot, roll them in the remaining 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar and place them back on the rack to continue cooling. (Reserve the sugar.) When the cookies are completely cool, roll them in the sugar again.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per cookie: 105 calories; 7 g fat (0 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare the dough (Steps 2 and 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Roll in the second coating of confectioners’ sugar just before serving.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, please post the meatball recipe. I probably won't be able to make it for this one, but I will be able to do it for something else in the future.

I've decided to make for the party:

Brian's Warm Salsa Dip
Celina's Crab Dip
Celina's Crepes
Deviled Eggs
Fruit Tray
Vegetable Tray
Meat and Cheese Tray
Assorted Crackers
Fruited Tea