Redbox

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Just read the Netflix post and wanted to bring "Redbox" up for those who may not know of it.
It's one of the automated sytems you see at grocery stores, etc... I believe I read that it is owned by the McDonald's corporation, so there is money behind it and it's an organized system.
You can look into it at Redbox.com.
Rentals are $1 each night and you can go online and place a hold on the movies you want to pick up later. I have a "Redbox" in my local grocery store, so, it's just as convenient as Blockbuster.
The plus side is the money I save. I was spending $15-$20 a week at Blockbuster.
The downside is that the selections aren't as large as Blockbuster and they have a limited supply of each movie. And, of course, if you keep the movie over 3 or 4 nights, you aren't saving money any longer.
It may not be your one stop video rental place, but, it's a great feeling to walk away with a new release and know you only paid $1.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not just a California thing. I live in West Lafayette, IN, and there's one in the McDonald's across the street. Unfortunately, there are never any good movies in it.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard, or seen, of redbox. Is it just a local California thing?

$1 a night? And it's only for the night? What happens if you don't get around to watching it for a week?

It's nationwide. Go to Redbox.com and it will have a Redbox locater so you can see if you have one nearby. If you plan on keeping the movie more than a day or two, you won't be saving money. I'd say that's one of the downsides.
Also, I go online and place a hold on the movies I want hours before I plan on picking them up and I've had decent luck with getting new releases, etc...
I still go to Blockbuster as I can't always get everything at Redbox but, I save money when I can.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
They're okay. $1 is pretty good and you have 24 hours to watch it, or they will charge your credit card late fees, etc. If I'm by a Redbox I'd check it out. But, the selection sucks. They hardly have anything I want to watch.

Last edited:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
We actually have something like that in a local Safeway I was in. So it or a version of it is international. But yeah, the selection was horrid.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
We have them here in NJ, and we never use it. Netflix pwns it, and we don't watch your average mundane new release blockbuster drivel.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
We have them here in NJ, and we never use it. Netflix pwns it, and we don't watch your average mundane new release blockbuster drivel.

Some people do like to watch average mundane new release blockbuster drivel. Like me. :wag:

In fact, I just finished watching some of that drivel and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm happy to be an open minded individual who enjoys many forms of entertainment, mindless or otherwise.
And BTW, Netflix does not own Redbox.

And, as far as the rest of you who don't care for the Redbox thing, that's your opinion. Mine stands. It is a money saving and convenient option and it works for me.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
We have those Red Box things around here in NC :) I guess that if you don't rent movies ALL the time it's a good deal. $1.00 a night isn't very bad whereas Blockbuster charges you like $4 or $5..or something... I dunno b/c I haven't rented an actual movie in almost two years. We have Netflix :)

But as I said...if you don't rent movies that often, it's not a bad deal. And they do have new releases as well. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah, Redbox is pretty much for those occasional movie watchers. Like once a week or something. And if you like mainstream stuff such as National Treasure, it's a good alternative. Certainly it's cheap for those occasional movie nights.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i use this all the time for new releases. my only complaint is that they should have two areas at each kiosk so that way the line moves along faster.

blockbuster is done. they were idiots for not lowering their prices. they should be charging 99c for old movies and 1.99 for new movies and let people hold onto old movies for 2 weeks and new movies for a week.

instead the morons keep raising their prices.

i should be in charge of more companies.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Some of us like that, you know. :p

Some people do like to watch average mundane new release blockbuster drivel. Like me. :wag:

I will admit so do we from time to time, but we rely on Netflix for more entertainment since we killed our cable. Redbox is ok if those are the only movies you rent. But I need to get TV shows, indie films, foreign films and documentaries too.

And BTW, Netflix does not own Redbox.

PWNT!

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I will admit so do we from time to time, but we rely on Netflix for more entertainment since we killed our cable. Redbox is ok if those are the only movies you rent. But I need to get TV shows, indie films, foreign films and documentaries too.

PWNT!

I agree. Redbox doesn't fulfill all of my entertainment needs, but, for the basic movies, it has saved me a lot of money. Yes, I need the indie films, foreign films and documentaries also. TV, not so much.
Had to Google "PWNT!" and I believe it means "owned!" If so,my bad. I didn't know that Netflix had ever had anything to do with Redbox. Maybe that is why it's more successful then the other "rent a dvd in a box" programs.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
For those of us who rarely watch movies, Redbox is perfect.

A Netflix subscription would be a total waste for someone like me. I probably only rent four or five movies a year.