I hate my disks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I have my story on a disk and for some reason I couldn't open my file last night. Fortunately, I have all but three pages printed out so I can retype it. I'm not too worried about the pages I lost because I pretty much remember what the gist of the stuff I lost. Still, it's a pain in the a@@.

I don't want to save the story on my hard drive at home because I'm going to be buying myself a new one soon. I'll probably stop by the library or the local Staples to see if I can get the disk to open there. If I can, I'm definitely printing it out. lol

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
First: Buy a flash drive. 1GB ones aren't too expensive. I've had floppys corrupt on me for no reason. I finally quit using them even as an easy 3rd backup.

Second: Back up. Then back up to a different source. I have THREE sets of my books: My laptop, my flash drive, and I email them to myself and then toss the email into the "Saved" folder.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
What callalily said. I do that, and my computer gets to live.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a tad more anal retentive: I save to 2 CDRW's, 2 disk-on-key's/flash drives and mail to myself. I'm a belt, suspenders, stapler, glue-gun, velcro type :}

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the flash drive just for that reason. But it requires Windows XP (at least) which my computer doesn't have. Ditto the CD burner. I have an ol-l-l-l-d computer. I'll check the library computer to see if it has Windows XP so I can transfer it over if I can open it.

Fortunately, I have a hard copy of most of it.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
There are flash drives that work with Windows98SE; Sandisk makes a small one, the Cruzer Micro. I use one, because when I got it I had 98, and I still work with older computers here and there. You have to download and install the drivers.

Going to get myself an external hard drive soon. the CDs are piling up too high.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Well, most of the way done retyping everything I had on paper. One good thing is that I was able to flesh things out a little bit as I was going along. I think once I get things into the computer again, I'll print it out again as well as the back up copies. Thankfully it was just 13 pages and not 100 pages. Then I'd really be freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.