Is this normal?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Am I just being a bad wife? Or am I right, and this behavior is a tad strange?

Here's the sitch:
Hubby, 32 yrs old, still gets emails and letters from two female teachers from his high school. One I cross-referenced (years ago) to his yearbook and she had wrote telling him not to ever forget all the fun they had in the back seat of Soandso's car. He said they went egging and t.p.ing on Halloween as a joke to few of the administrators houses and that was it. Mm-hmm. Okay (shouldn't be in the car with a student anyway but whatever, I'll move on because I've made THAT argument a gazillion times). The other has never really written anything inappropriate, but at least once a year, she asks Hubby if he remembers when she did the 12 days of Christmas with him and was his secret Santa (not because of any game or name drawing, she just wanted to buy Hubby gifts I guess and leave them secretly in his locker, his car, his porch at home, yeah, I know, strange, right?).

Please, tell me this is not normal. Do your old hs teachers keep in contact? Maybe it is normal to have teachers still contacting you a decade and a half after you graduate from a small town school. Miss SecretSanta, only contacts him once or twice a year. Miss Funinthebackseat, emails and writes him quite a bit more. She writes him long letters detailing her life (mundane stuff, nothing sexy or implying she wants him or anything). She does say she thinks about him often, but she always manages to phrase it unassumingly. It just seems strange to me. He thinks I'm the one who is strange because it rubs me the wrong way. He says it's not weird for teachers to not only stay in touch but initiate all the communication. He says they just always seemed to really like him, to show him a lot of attention because he was just a good, fun, sweet kid to be around.

C'mon, really, is this normal?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Ummmm well honestly both of those sound a little weird, but I still keep in touch with my high school English teacher and it's been a decade since I graduated. I was totally enraptured by him throughout my entire time in High School. He never acted inappropriately and never hugged me until after I graduated. Even then it was in a definitely paternal way - he told me once if he had a daughter he would have wished her to be like me (awwww). Anyway, I don't think it's abnormal to keep in touch, but I do think the other circumstances you described are weird.

What kind of age difference are we talking about here? (I mean, in my case, he was my dad's age, so there was never even any thought to anything like that.)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I've never kept in contact with any of my teachers... However it seems that you have one of those men that like to keep in contact with people. I don't think there is anything wrong, as long as he is telling you about it.

One of my high school boyfriends emailed me some really loving emails. Confessing that he met his wife on the rebound... etc... and he wanted to meet me on a Fall day and tell me how much I meant to him and blah blah blah...

I don't keep things like that from my husband and I told him about it.... and let him read the emails. My husband had no problem with it... However my ex-boyfriends wife found his emails... and had a fit.. he contacted me once afterwards... to explain how pissed she was and he never emailed me again.

I had no desire for him... that way. It was nice remininicng with him..

You know your husband, I don't. If he is being forthright I wouldn't worry about it. If he is being sneaky... that's another story..

Good luck

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Ummmm well honestly both of those sound a little weird
I know, right.
He never acted inappropriately and never hugged me until after I graduated. Even then it was in a definitely paternal way - he told me once if he had a daughter he would have wished her to be like me (awwww).
Ditto on the awwww. That is sweet.

What kind of age difference are we talking about here? (I mean, in my case, he was my dad's age, so there was never even any thought to anything like that.)
Well, he graduated when he was 17 and I know the SecretSanta lady was in her mid thirties and married, so that might make a difference. The FITBS lady was in her mid to late 20's at the time and single. Still single actually.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Seems a little weird but if he's not really being sneaky about it, then I'd probably let it slide. If he's unwilling to tell you about it or hides the e-mails, I'd be pissed if not suspicious.

I don't keep in contact with any of my old teachers but my teachers were all old or weird.

But he's your hubby and you know him better than we do. :)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
it seems that you have one of those men that like to keep in contact with people. I don't think there is anything wrong, as long as he is telling you about it.
He doesn't contact them. He doesn't even respond, just because he's terrible at that kind of stuff, not because he's rude. If those ladies get a response at all, it is from me usually. They call and they write consistently though. When we move, they call his mom and ask for his new number and address. They seem nice enough, I've actually met them in person once. Strange, strange visit to his old HS, totally other thread.

One of my high school boyfriends emailed me some really loving emails. Confessing that he met his wife on the rebound... etc... and he wanted to meet me on a Fall day and tell me how much I meant to him and blah blah blah...
yikes

You know your husband, I don't. If he is being forthright I wouldn't worry about it. If he is being sneaky... that's another story..
He's so NOT sneaky, it's almost funny. I actually think he is oblivious to the fact that these two ladies, especially miss BackSeat, have a crush on him and acted inappropriately with him when he was a student. He thinks I'm nuts. (I don't dispute that, but I still think I'm right about this one!)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I actually think he is oblivious to the fact that these two ladies, especially miss BackSeat, have a crush on him and acted inappropriately with him when he was a student.

Aw...I love when guys are totally clueless to stuff. It's so cute. :tongue

He thinks I'm nuts. (I don't dispute that, but I still think I'm right about this one!)

You're totally right on this one! I can't comment on the nuts part though. :Shrug:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll clarify the reason for this thread. I just got ANOTHER letter for Hubby from Ms BackSeat. He called, told me to open it and read it to him. I open it, a wallet size picture of her drops out, I don't bother to pick it up (she's very beautiful BTW). "She sent another picture." I start reading. "Her truck broke down. Her dog died. Planted stuff in garden. Hopes you're doing well. She saw pictures your mom emailed, you look great. Proud of you. You're always in her thoughts and prayers." Now all this took about FOUR pages to say and yes, I actually read it word for word to him. He laughed, said it sounded like she needed a friend. Asked if I'd send her an email for him (like I said, he would never remember to do it himself, he's just, well, a guy). I groan out, "Sure. What do you want it to say?"

"Just tell her you read me the letter and that I said thanks and that I'm sorry about her dog and her truck."

"Kay. You know, babe. It is really weird that she still writes you."

I can actually see him roll his eyes in my mind as I hear his sighed chuckle. "Babe, what can I say, I'm unforgettable."

I laugh, but I still know I'm write and hope to use you all in advancing my proof that there is a definite weirdness factor in these two ladies um, affection for Hubby.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gut instinct...this is a little weird, yes. Hubby seems on the up and up about it all--but why does he keep asking you to write them back for him?? Sounds a bit like on one level he wants it to have the appearance of being all one-sided, while on another he enjoys egging them on. Why not let them simply continue to gather news about him from his mother, (which is also kinda strange, but that way he is not in any way encouraging their continued correspondence with him you.)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This also registers as a tad strange on my weird-o-meter, but the needle's still in the green zone as far as your hubby's concerned. Frankly it doesn't sound as if he gives a cr*p.

-Derek

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Both those teachers are strange fruit. It doesn't sound like hubby is that odd, though. He probably feels flattered or thinks we all get cutey pie letters from our high school teachers from fifteen years ago.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
A little wierd - yep.
But I would not worry about it. Sounds like your husband is above board with you. Be happy with the trust the two of you obviously share. If you make a big deal about this, he may not be so open about things in the future, which will make you suspicious, which will make him even less open, which will make you even more suspicious, etc.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me, a woman doesn't send a man her picture unless she wants to entice him. So I find it very disturbing.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Very weird. I bet your hubby just thinks it's great to get the attention. I would guess he is completely innocent in it all... but enjoys that the weirdos still take an interest in him all the same. It's a compliment to him... a weird one, but a compliment all the same. Backseatmomma was WAY out of line playing games with kids. Today that wouldn't fly in the way that having sex with 12 year-old students wouldn't fly. She'd lose her job at the very least. Creepy.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
FWIw, my husband has collected many female admirerers over the years. He is very handsome, and sweet and while he never encourages these fascinations; they happen never the less.

Miss FITBS has stepped waaaayy over the boundries. She definately has more than a crush on your hubby. As long as she sticks to emails/letters, and as long as you are the one responding to them; (you let her now it's you responding for your hubby, right?) it shouldn't be more than a nuisance.

Be careful though. Ten years ago my hubby's supervisor developed a crush on him. He ignored her (and of course told me all about it) and we shrugged it off. We have such a strong marriage we knew she wasn't a threat to us. What we didn't anticipate was what she could do, and did do, to my husband professionally. He was fired by her for "Gross Misconduct" (I guess that's what she called it when he wouldn't f**k her.) She posioned prospective job offers and my hubby was out of work for almost a year! She illeaglly blocked us from accessing our COBRA insurance at a time when our young son was diagnosed with a chronic diesease that cost over a thousand dollars a month in medicine. We hired a lawyer, who was appropriately indignant over hubby's treatment (and violation of labor laws) until he found out his employer was a city municipality. Can't sue city governments; they're exempt). It was a horrible, difficult time for us. We came very close to losing everything.

It's totally changed the way I look at woman now. They can be scarey, and vindictive and can go to extreme lengths to justify their actions. I would be wary of this woman. She just doesn't sound right to me.

As far as your hubby goes, he sounds totally blameless, but take a lesson from me, he dosen't have to do anything for this woman's fantasies to get out of control. Watch this woman and if she tries to make personal contact I'd take that as an indication that she is a danger.

FWIW

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it sounds odd, but I wouldn't make an issue of it. Is it a big deal if some gal has a crush on your husband? As long as he doesn't mislead her (or you for that matter) it sounds pretty harmless to me.

But it is odd. :)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
To me, a woman doesn't send a man her picture unless she wants to entice him.

Oh man! Is this true?

If this is true then I'm a total dense clueless person. All this time women have been enticing me and I've totally missed it?

*bangs head on desk*

Note to self: Next time a woman sends you her pictures, you ask her what her sign is!

:tongue

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I've stayed in touch with one of my high school English teachers - male - since graduation in 1979 but that's because he is also a writer and at one time we were both members of a local writers group. His wife was one of my freshmen college writing teachers and so we've also stayed in touch.

I had lunch recently with one of my junior high teachers, a woman I feel mentored me when she was the sponsor of the "mini-magazine" course at my junior high in the early to mid 70's.

I am friendly when/if I see any of my former teachers around town (small town) and don't find it weird at all.

Unless the relationship progresses from a few e-mails and minimal contact to a full-blown friendship that takes away from family time, I wouldn't find it all that weird.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Different, for sure. But sounds completely above board and innocent to me. Honest true friendships the grew from high school.

Personally, I hated high school and everyone in it and don't associate with anyone from that time, teacher or otherwise.

Besides, I think all my teachers are dead by now.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Gut instinct...this is a little weird, yes. Hubby seems on the up and up about it all--but why does he keep asking you to write them back for him??
They both send him care packages and such and SecretSanta even sends little things for the kids, and FITBS sends him/us (I guess) homemade stuff for the house or gift cards for sports stores because she knows he loves all sports. I guess we both might feel a little guilty if we didn't at least say thanks. And honestly, I think he feels obligated to them. He had a really tough, we'll say, life in high school, and these were just two of the people who made it possible for him to get through those years, but I think they, out of their kindness, might have accidentally grown an obsession.

This also registers as a tad strange on my weird-o-meter, but the needle's still in the green zone as far as your hubby's concerned. Frankly it doesn't sound as if he gives a cr*p.

-Derek
Yes, that is pretty much him.
LOL!

Both those teachers are strange fruit. It doesn't sound like hubby is that odd, though. He probably feels flattered or thinks we all get cutey pie letters from our high school teachers from fifteen years ago.
He really thinks that! Seriously. He thinks this is perfectly normal.
A little wierd - yep.
But I would not worry about it. Sounds like your husband is above board with you. Be happy with the trust the two of you obviously share. If you make a big deal about this, he may not be so open about things in the future, which will make you suspicious, which will make him even less open, which will make you even more suspicious, etc.
Oh, he's almost too open. We've been married 12 and a half years, and I thought this little infatuation his teachers had would die out, nope. Hubby and I were laughing but still arguing that this is NOT normal. I say it isn't, he says it is. I'm not worried about him cheating on me. He's too good for that.
What kristie said. Ditto. :)
I know, she said it great. And it is very cute how clueless he is sometimes.
To me, a woman doesn't send a man her picture unless she wants to entice him. So I find it very disturbing.
She sends him at least one picture a year. I think something is just. . .off. . .about her. It's like she's terrified he'll forget her. I dunno, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but something is definitely off.

Very weird. I bet your hubby just thinks it's great to get the attention. I would guess he is completely innocent in it all... but enjoys that the weirdos still take an interest in him all the same. It's a compliment to him... a weird one, but a compliment all the same. Backseatmomma was WAY out of line playing games with kids. Today that wouldn't fly in the way that having sex with 12 year-old students wouldn't fly. She'd lose her job at the very least. Creepy.
Yes, well, you have to understand, the school he went to, still used the paddling board. Very small town, old ways school. I know of A LOT that went on in that school that shouldn't have, and that's just from what Hubby has told me. I'm sure it's got to feel somewhat flattering to have two women, especially when he was in high school, have crushes on you. He collects admirers wherever he goes though. I guess I'm his biggest fan. :D

She definately has more than a crush on your hubby. As long as she sticks to emails/letters, and as long as you are the one responding to them; (you let her now it's you responding for your hubby, right?) it shouldn't be more than a nuisance.
Yes, I always let them know I am responding to them.

It's totally changed the way I look at woman now. They can be scarey, and vindictive and can go to extreme lengths to justify their actions. I would be wary of this woman. She just doesn't sound right to me.

As far as your hubby goes, he sounds totally blameless, but take a lesson from me, he dosen't have to do anything for this woman's fantasies to get out of control. Watch this woman and if she tries to make personal contact I'd take that as an indication that she is a danger.
OMG, that is terrible. We've always felt the same, we're so secure with our relationship that it doesn't threaten "us" but I never thought of her taking it any further. I'm just glad we don't live near her and otherwise have nothing to do with her. Miss FITBS is just not right. She is, I believe, obsessed with Hubby. Has been since (get this) he was 14. Now I'm a little more worried than I was before. But after all this time, I'm hoping we're fairly safe. I just can't believe you and your family had to go through that. I'm sorry. I'm so glad that is over now.

I agree that it sounds odd, but I wouldn't make an issue of it. Is it a big deal if some gal has a crush on your husband? As long as he doesn't mislead her (or you for that matter) it sounds pretty harmless to me.

But it is odd. :)
A crush is fine, an obsession, strange. But it probably is harmless.
Why does it bother you again?
Because I want him to admit that I'm right! Yes, this is a "right fight." Well, it's not a fight. We mainly laugh about it, still after over a decade of this, I just want him to say, "Hon, you're right. They might have crushes on me and be somewhat obsessed." instead of "Hon, they just want to keep in touch, and that's it. It's perfectly normal."

I've stayed in touch with one of my high school English teachers - male - since graduation in 1979 but that's because he is also a writer and at one time we were both members of a local writers group. His wife was one of my freshmen college writing teachers and so we've also stayed in touch.

I had lunch recently with one of my junior high teachers, a woman I feel mentored me when she was the sponsor of the "mini-magazine" course at my junior high in the early to mid 70's.

I am friendly when/if I see any of my former teachers around town (small town) and don't find it weird at all.

Unless the relationship progresses from a few e-mails and minimal contact to a full-blown friendship that takes away from family time, I wouldn't find it all that weird.
It IS weird though. Agh, you sound like Hubby.*dramatic roll of eyes* This is years after he graduated and they always try to remind him of what they did together in high school. Sending pictures, sending gifts, it's just weird. I've met them both face to face, nice ladies, but very touchy-feely. And it's not like he bumps into them. He moved out of that town the day after he graduated. They have to make an effort to stay in touch and they have NO common interests. It is weird. It has to be.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope my 11th grade English teacher doesn't send me photos of herself.

;-)

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Because I want him to admit that I'm right! Yes, this is a "right fight." Well, it's not a fight. We mainly laugh about it, still after over a decade of this, I just want him to say, "Hon, you're right. They might have crushes on me and be somewhat obsessed." instead of "Hon, they just want to keep in touch, and that's it. It's perfectly normal."

I'm with hubby. They just want to keep in touch since it has gone no further than mail/Email.

Why do I always get myself on the minority side. *talks to myself*

Richard