Who do you put on the top, and who on the bottom?

write2livelive2write

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how everyone makes his/her query list. I can't decide between top agents and new agents. Yes, a top agent has a lot of connections and has a better chance getting you a good deal, but since he/she works with so many established writers, you might be on the bottom of his/her priority list. A new agent does not have so many connections yet, but he/she might try very very hard to sell your book.

So I don't know who I am going to try first ...

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Start by making a list of agencies and agents whose profile best suits you and your work. Does their track record display the sale of books in your genre? Have they sold books to the age range you are trying to reach? Do they display a proven ability to sell to publishers who reach your target audience? Are you more than satisfied with the types of books they have sold? What writers do they represent? Ask people in the business about the agency and agent--get as much feedback as you can. How many books do they sell a year? How long have they been in business? Do they offer writers a fair deal? Of course no fees to be paid by you. Do as much research as possible re all aspects of the agency and agents.

If you can find a relatively new agency who passes the test, one that to some degree is still in the building process, that's to be considered. If it's a gamble, that might not be the best way to go since you will only find out how much of a gamble after you are perhaps under contract to them with no immediate way out. If you can find that mddle gound, great, but it's extremely hard to do.

There's a lot more to consider, but this is a start.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
assuming you've done your homework, and we're talking competent agents--well, we're just talking about who to query, right? so certainly you can send out a smattering of both. If you get multi offers, you can debate it then.