Any interest?

Would a Horror Forum Prompt be fun and useful?

• Jeez, Mac! Who has time for THAT?!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A bi-weekly prompt would be cool, and good incentive!

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • A monthly prompt might be more realistic...

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I'd probably join in once in a while, but it would be fun to read others'...

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
w00t!!! Another poll, now that I've figured out how to do 'em here!

I was thinking that doing a horror prompt for short works might give us all a little extra incentive to be churning out short-stuff, polishing and subbing it. <g>

So what do ya'll think?

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll participate as soon as I'm knocked out of the Idol running...great idea, Mac!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thanks, Blue! :) I like writing to prompts--for one thing, it demands some actual discipline, and I find what I churn out is just as decent as if I'd sat around waiting for the muse to strike.

I'm thinking we can write to the prompts together, then help one another with any editing, market research, then subbing the silly things.

It would be very cool to get everyone in here a publishing credit or two in the next few months.

(Now I've gone and done it...I've let you all in on the master plan.)

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Might do me some good, I'll admit. Although, I dunno how long I'll be able to participate. I might end up temorarily without internet connection, soon.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Thanks, Blue! :) I like writing to prompts--for one thing, it demands some actual discipline, and I find what I churn out is just as decent as if I'd sat around waiting for the muse to strike.

I'm thinking we can write to the prompts together, then help one another with any editing, market research, then subbing the silly things.

It would be very cool to get everyone in here a publishing credit or two in the next few months.

(Now I've gone and done it...I've let you all in on the master plan.)

I like prompts too. I guess they help focus my brain out of the swirling muck of everyday crap.

It'd be great if we could all help each other out. What a spirit!

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sounds like a good idea, Mac. I've been thinking about getting away from writing mainstream and into horror. There definitely seems to be more markets for horror than mainstream. It would give me some extra practice.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
sthrnwriter said:
Sounds like a good idea, Mac. I've been thinking about getting away from writing mainstream and into horror. There definitely seems to be more markets for horror than mainstream. It would give me some extra practice.

I always thought it was the other way around...

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
BlueTexas said:
I always thought it was the other way around...

It may be that way for nonfiction, but I write fiction and most of the magazines/e-zines I've found so far, are looking for science fiction, fantasy and horror.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
sthrnwriter said:
It may be that way for nonfiction, but I write fiction and most of the magazines/e-zines I've found so far, are looking for science fiction, fantasy and horror.

That reminds me of a sad scene from yesterday. I was in Borders, browsing the periodicals, and it took me three turns around displays to find the writing magazines. Ellery Queen, SFF, Writer's Digest and Writer were buried beneath the culture rack at foot level, completely invisible from head level. There was another shelf actually purposely protruding over the rack. Tattoo, Playboy, Bride and Motorcycle Monthly were all highly visible. Oh, and The New Yorker.

And, when I couldn't find Maya Angelou in the Lit section, the teenaged clerk asked me who that was, looked it up, and found her buried in African American Studies.

Looked it up!

Hmmmph!!

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
BlueTexas said:
That reminds me of a sad scene from yesterday. I was in Borders, browsing the periodicals, and it took me three turns around displays to find the writing magazines. Ellery Queen, SFF, Writer's Digest and Writer were buried beneath the culture rack at foot level, completely invisible from head level. There was another shelf actually purposely protruding over the rack. Tattoo, Playboy, Bride and Motorcycle Monthly were all highly visible. Oh, and The New Yorker.

And, when I couldn't find Maya Angelou in the Lit section, the teenaged clerk asked me who that was, looked it up, and found her buried in African American Studies.

Looked it up!

Hmmmph!!

that is sad. When I was in school, the only authors and poets we read and learned were Shakespeare, Poe, Twain and Dickinson. That's it. There are thousands of other authors and poets and the emphasis was placed on those four. Those teenagers who don't enjoy recreational reading were exposed to very few literary views and it's a shame. And from what you said, it seems things haven't changed the last few years.

DiscoDan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't usaully like writing off other people's prompts, but I voted for a monthy one. I might join in once a month.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be fun and would like to join in on it. When school is out for the summer I plan to really get writing more seriously. I voted for a monthly one since I think it would be more reasonable at the start, if people really get interested then maybe we could change it to bi-weekly.

I think prompts are fun and like Mac said I find it a bit easier and just as good as if I was waiting for my nogales prostitute (muse) to strike me in the head with her handbag full of fifty dollar bills, crack pipe, and .357 magnum and say "Here you go stupid, write this."

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<<< my nogales prostitute (muse) to strike me in the head with her handbag full of fifty dollar bills, crack pipe, and .357 magnum and say "Here you go stupid, write this.">>>

Well, Kev! I'm surprised we haven't met before now. We seem to run in the same social circle.

LJ

Status
Not open for further replies.