Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so tacky--I use a slim ribbon of newsprint torn from the paper most of the time, although I also like the fortune from my fortune cookie if I've had Chinese lately. To me, the best bookmarks are very narrow, allowing me to read the page they're marking.

Still, it sounds like many in book_maven's collection would be a pleasure to see upon opening one's book. Enjoy!

My library puts lost bookmarks (found in returns) on a bulletin board. Some of them are so nice it's a wonder they were forgotten.

Maryn

Rob-rite

A wanderer returning...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robsweeney-singer.tumblr.com
I have a pack of ten bookmarks made from egyptian papyrus which I bought from a hawker while on a visit to Cairo. He was only about eight years old and he just wouldn't leave me alone until I bought them.

He was dirty and dressed in little more than rags so out of pity I handed over five egyptian pounds (which I think is about 50p) in return for his pack of bookmarks -- the only thing he was holding. As soon as I gave him the money he ran over to a woman waiting in the background who took the money off him and handed over a fresh pack of bookmarks with which he proceeded to pester another hapless tourist.

At the time I remember feeling slightly annoyed about the exploitation involved but I suppose it's just a way of making a living in a country that still suffers from crippling poverty.

They're beautifully hand painted with such an unusual smell and even though three years have past, I still cherish them and always have at least half a dozen on the go at any one time.

Last edited:

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
While in Europe i set aside a 5 Euro note and went I got back to the states, I laminated it as a bookmark. I also have a Doobie Vrothers ticket stub from last year I use as well.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I definitely feel like the kid from the wrong side of town on this thread.

I just fold the corner of the page.

Maybe I can use my last speeding ticket????

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I have to confess, I too dog ear the page. Somehow, it comforts me. I don't like bookmarks, and don't ask me why, cause I don't have a clue. (and I ashamed to confess, I do this to library books!) :cry:

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a number of bookmarks, most from the last 10 years, kinda a tradition now--my hubby gets me one with each gift for B-day and so on. But I still just stick whatevers handy in the book, a bill, a wrapper---anything that is flat.

Shawn

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
I'm always losing mine, so I grab anything flat I happen to have laying around the house; fly paper, toe tags, old condoms, roadkill....

That's a seriously cool collection.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
:horse: I feel really bad now. I'm beating myself up. And I love my hometown library! Maybe it's a subconscious rebellion against authority? But that's just wrong. Ok, the first step is admitting I have a problem. I will try to stop dog earing my dear libraries books!

BlakeOvard

duck, duck, GOOSE!
Registered
Reaction score
Now based in Texas, living the western life.
Website
www.blakeovard.com
The funny thing is that I also make bookmarks. Since a major part of my income comes from selling my artwork, I started turning some of that said artwork into bookmarks about a year ago. When I'm at an art festival, they fly out of the tent, sometimes in groups of 20-30. I often wonder how many of those get used for gift, and how many are kept by the buyer, and how many are just to be collected...

So, Wurdwise, Stop KILLING the library books! ;)

:Thumbs: Shameless Plug Time- If anyone is interested in seeing some of those bookmarks, just hop over to my website. http://www.blakeovard.com

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
wurdwise said:
I have to confess, I too dog ear the page. Somehow, it comforts me. I don't like bookmarks, and don't ask me why, cause I don't have a clue. (and I ashamed to confess, I do this to library books!) :cry:

GASP such disrespect for the author. Go get a bookmark. Now :whip:

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
blakeovard said:
The funny thing is that I also make bookmarks. Since a major part of my income comes from selling my artwork, I started turning some of that said artwork into bookmarks about a year ago. When I'm at an art festival, they fly out of the tent, sometimes in groups of 20-30. I often wonder how many of those get used for gift, and how many are kept by the buyer, and how many are just to be collected...

So, Wurdwise, Stop KILLING the library books! ;)

:Thumbs: Shameless Plug Time- If anyone is interested in seeing some of those bookmarks, just hop over to my website. http://www.blakeovard.com

Wow, those are awesome. You need one with a yellow lab on it. Oh and one with a dragon. ;)

BlakeOvard

duck, duck, GOOSE!
Registered
Reaction score
Now based in Texas, living the western life.
Website
www.blakeovard.com
book_maven said:
Blake, those are great. But you don't have cats! I am a cat lover especially of black cats.

Actually I have a couple of cat ones. One is a yellow cat (with his paw on a mouse's tail keeping it in check, no doubt). One is a black & white cat, and one is the back of three cats sitting on a fence top. Those not being on there reminds me how much I need to update everything... I'll have to go do that!! When I get them up there, I'll let you know so you can check them out. :)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Well, as much as I wish I had the collection book_maven has, I must admit I only have a few. I have a couple with the moon and sun on it and one with a picture of a Doberman on it. But I'm always losing them, so I usually just use the Camel cash that's in my ciggarette pack. Lol...:eek:

This thread has inspired me want to go out and buy some, though!
Borders has some pretty neat ones!

celeste

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
...I just remember the page number.

Is that weird?

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
book_maven said:
Shawn, that is wonderful! How did that tradition start? Does he look for any particular kind?

I've got ones with cats (gee, whoda guessed?) Ones with cars, ones with sayings, silly ones, romantic ones, Native American ones, some of those plastic clip over the pages in a shape ones, nice metal ones of the same sort, some of the long thin cloth ones and a few slips of paper I laminated, ones he wrote notes on to me--a large shoebox full.

On my first birthday we were together he got me a set of wind chimes and a book, inside the book he had put one with a cat on it. (See I am a closet dog ear person) ( and he hates that) so he got me the book mark so I'd stop. Ha. Guess what? I didn't, so he got another---never said a word to me about bent corners, but always unbent them and found a bookmark and slipped it in.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be able to do that as a kid. Wish I still could. Now I'm reduced to receipts and the occasional bobby pin.

Rob-rite

A wanderer returning...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robsweeney-singer.tumblr.com
MacAllister said:
...I just remember the page number.

Is that weird?

Yeah, I used to do that until I became dependent on my bookmarks. Probably couldn't manage it now, anyway. Getting old you see ... ;)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I discovered an interesting way to fold a page in a book so that it forms its own bookmark that sticks out from the pages.

Carefully take hold of the page at the bottom and bend it inward so that the corner touches the spine about 1/4 of the way up. Look at the top of the page. It should now form a point sticking up out of the book. Close the book and you have your own bookmark that can't fall out.

I used this method on text books so that I could find important tables quickly.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Carefully take hold of the page at the bottom and bend it inward so that the corner touches the spine about 1/4 of the way up. Look at the top of the page. It should now form a point sticking up out of the book. Close the book and you have your own bookmark that can't fall out.
I believe Firefox has a plug-in that does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.