Not open for further replies.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
What the hell?

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. And their reasoning is beyond me.

Under a bill sitting on Gov. Bill Ritter's desk, all "public accommodations" must be open to men, women, bisexuals, transsexuals and "transgendered" individuals.

Senate Bill 200 adds religion and sexual orientation to state nondiscrimination statutes. Supporters claim the bill will prevent discrimination; in reality, the bill endangers religious freedom by opening the door for the state to punish any person or organization — including small and home-based businesses — that refuses, for religious or other moral reasons, to offer or sell goods or services to homosexuals, bisexuals, 'transgendered' and transsexual individuals.

Here's another link:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=65557

This bill would include public schools. A 10 year old girl could be in the bathroom with an adult male. If you ask me, this is pulling the door wide open for pedophiles.

Descrimination? Are you kidding me?

Last edited:

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Not that I disagree, but don't most schools have separate bathrooms for adults vs students? For a wide variety of reasons? The ones I went to did.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
This is a BAD idea for schools. Dear god. The public bathroom was a war zone in the boys bathroom when I went to school. I was so skittish about going "number 2" at school that I would hold it in all day long and wait until I got home simply because I didn't want to be sitting there and have wet paper towels flying over the stall door at me.

Knowing that GIRLS are going to be in there? Who knows what the heck these boys will do.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah but the idiots proposing this law don't care about whether this opens the door for pedophiles, as long as some man who decided he didn't like his penis doesn't have his/her/whatever feelings hurt.

And this is the country millions of soldiers have died for.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not that I disagree, but don't most schools have separate bathrooms for adults vs students? For a wide variety of reasons? The ones I went to did.

Even so, imagine a 12 year old boy in there with a little girl of any age? And in my school, while teachers had different bathrooms, many times, they would just use the students'. They weren't banned from the student bathrooms.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, why can't they have "Men" "Women" and "Other"??

I mean a lot of public places, like malls, have Men Women and Family.

Why make them ALL unisex? Why not just make one unisex restroom available. I mean how many freakin transgendered individuals are there in society?

Is this really that big a problem that they have to inconvenience everyone in society to create equity for a few?

I've never seen it done.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And can you imagine being a woman in a locker room? I cannot imagine trying to change while looking around wondering when the man eyeing me in the corner is going to reach out and grab my ass...or worse.
Well, we go to the Y and my sons and I use the Family Men's locker room, which means while I'm changing I feel awkward doing it in front of the guy who brought in his 8-year-old daughter.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Well, why can't they have "Men" "Women" and "Other"??

Good suggestion!

Is this really that big a problem that they have to inconvenience everyone in society to create equality for a few?

Excellent question! I guess they are confusing "equal" with "exactly the same" . I think an apple is a fruit and and orange is a fruit, so in that way they are equal, but obviously very different.

I hope cooler "heads" prevail on this one!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we go to the Y and my sons and I use the Family Men's locker room, which means while I'm changing I feel awkward doing it in front of the guy who brought in his 8-year-old daughter.

While I sympathise with that, bear in mind for some dads there may not be much of an option. I think at 8 the young lady in question could probably use the women's locker-room by herself... but maybe not. With all the horror stories out there about kids being taken and all that, I'd just as soon chaperone my daughter (who, granted, is only 4 right now) into a "Family" changing room than send her off by herself.

Not every dad has a mom available to handle those "girl" issues, and society doesn't provide us with a lot of options, either.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
How strange. Perhaps you went to school at a different time.

I do architecture work on public schools. I don't recall seeing one that didn't have age segregated bathrooms. Let me check my plans...judging from the six or so school plans I have available at the moment, age segregated washrooms are de riguer, except for the oldest ones. I'm pretty sure that they are segregated in any school younger than 30 years.

If such a law were passed, I think it would be easy to say that adults could no longer use the student's bathrooms.

However, I think this is a foolish law. It is easy to build separate Unisex bathrooms, and there are many reasons to do so, not just for the transgendered. Special education students who need assistance come to mind as beneficiaries to this system.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
While I sympathise with that, bear in mind for some dads there may not be much of an option. I think at 8 the young lady in question could probably use the women's locker-room by herself... but maybe not. With all the horror stories out there about kids being taken and all that, I'd just as soon chaperone my daughter (who, granted, is only 4 right now) into a "Family" changing room than send her off by herself.

Not every dad has a mom available to handle those "girl" issues, and society doesn't provide us with a lot of options, either.
I understand the reasoning behind it. And I wasn't saying they should eliminate it. I was just saying I felt uncomfortable.

And I think they have to be 10, maybe 12, to be unchaperoned at the Y.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Note to self: next sex talk must include the information that gender is no longer as clear cut as it seems. Cue Lola and explain the lyrics carefully and thoroughly.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It seemed to work fine on Ally McBeal - sort-of.

http://www.slate.com/id/3307/

If everyones in stalls, I see no real issue here.:Shrug:

When I need to go, just a little privacy so as to not scare the old ladies and little kids with a major python, and I'm good to go - literally.:Thumbs:

I loved Ally McBeal! And I see what you're saying. so long as everyone stays behind those stall doors, everyone's okay. However, locker rooms? Now we're all going to have to change in little stalls so that men don't watch us? And teenage boys in the bathroom with teenage girls? Old nasty men in the bathroom with little girls? You think this is not an issue?

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just like a hall monitor...

I loved Ally McBeal! And I see what you're saying. so long as everyone stays behind those stall doors, everyone's okay. However, locker rooms? Now we're all going to have to change in little stalls so that men don't watch us? And teenage boys in the bathroom with teenage girls? Old nasty men in the bathroom with little girls? You think this is not an issue?

Maybe we could install camera's to keep an eye on everyone. Just to make sure we all behave approriately.

Here's where it all started...

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2003/georgiegirl/resources_04_biber.html

Line up for your change today!

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we could install camera's to keep an eye on everyone. Just to make sure we all behave approriately.

Yeah, but then you're gonna have the creepy looking janitor watching the movies. Who wants that?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Why are we jumping to the conclusion that signing this bill means all public restrooms in Colorado have to be unisex and follow that to worst possible outcome? Not allowing discrimination based on sexual orientation doesn't exactly mean that - but it's apparent that in order to get people to cry out against SB200 that worst case scenario is being put forward.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Well, thanks to Dawno for the real information. There's really nothing in that act to object to, except for the usual exemption for religious institutions.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Why are we jumping to the conclusion that signing this bill means all public restrooms in Colorado have to be unisex and follow that to worst possible outcome? Not allowing discrimination based on sexual orientation doesn't exactly mean that - but it's apparent that in order to get people to cry out against SB200 that worst case scenario is being put forward.
If I recall correctly, this argument was also used against the Equal Rights Amendment back in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.