• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Book of Writing Exercises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for writing workbooks? Specifically I'm looking for any collection of writing prompts and exercises that are intended to be done relatively quickly, say under 1000 words. I'd love something similar to the writing prompts here, but that I can do in bed!

Thanks!

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That depends on what you need.

Do you want something like grammar? Or creative writing books?

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
I've got 'What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers'- it' a useful book for writing prompts, plus it teaches you how to improe your writing along the way.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
The Writer's Book of Matches has 1001 prompts. Each one is short, and you can take it as far as you want. I like to pick one randomly and cluster it to find a story.

Also visit the PostSecret web site. People send anonymous postcards with their deepest secrets on them, and Frank Warren posts them on his blog. Many of these would make great story prompts.

Dale

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I use my copy of A Writer's Book of Days all the time. It has a prompt for every day of the year. You can use them for any kind of exercise (timed or wordcount) you like.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody!

These look great. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.