Genealogy Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago I completed a genealogy book about my family. This was before POD was so accesable. A family member offered to take care of the printing, went to a discount copy shop, and returned with a piece of crap with a cover that may as well have been construction paper. We didn't speak for three months. It took me three years to create the damn thing.

This is a very specific book, not something I would imagine would sell outside of the family or a genealogy library. In addition, it's got a lot of b&w photos.

Is a POD like Lulu a good option for this? It's popping back into my head because I'd like to donate some to local libraries where other family members might try to research, and I am not sending anything with my name on it that looks like a 10 year old created it.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for a similar service myself.

My objectives are to create a black and white scrapbook with genealogical information and b&w photos out of some old albums of my grandmother's, and to make a color photobook as a gift for my mom-in-law this Christmas.

A color 8.5 x 11 photo book, perfect bound, with about 50 pages on lulu looks to be around $10 (reasonable since I only need one copy anyway). B&W is a *lot* cheaper, ($5 or so) which is the route I'd go for the genealogy stuff, since everyone in the family will want one.

I think the two posts that made up my mind were:

http://www.lulu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7488
http://www.lulu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7696

That looks pretty darn good for my pet projects, anyway.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I went ahead with Lulu yesterday. The pricing really is reaonable...I ended up at 195 pages. Pretty cool service for work that won't have a wide audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.