• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing years and numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Parks

In the moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelparks.info
Basic question, but I don't know the answer!

In a novel, do you write out the year? Or can you use numbers?

Narrative form:

a.) Not since Clara died in nineteen-oh-six...

b.) Not since Clara died in nineteen hundred and six...

c.) Not since Clara died in 1906...

Thanks....!!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In fiction, numbers are generally written out, with a few exceptions, such as phone numbers. This is especially true in dialogue.

There's a debate about writing out years as opposed to using numbers. Personally, I think it looks odd to write out long number like 1928 and prefer to use numbers. You can find examples in published book of years done both ways.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Is this from a character's point of view? (Either third person or first.) If it is, I'd think about how the character would say it.

If this is just impersonal narration or an excerpted letter or something, I'd use numbers (1906) and let the reader's brain say it how it wants.

Michael Parks

In the moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelparks.info
Sounds like its possible to use digits, which I would prefer. In this instance, I chose to go around it, by switching it to dialogue and writing:

"It’s been over a hundred years since Clara died.... "

At least until I get a better grasp of the issue.

Thanks for the replies, and to others I'd welcome your insights, as well.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, there's a whole set of rules for writing numbers in non-fiction.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Spelling out years is kinda pointless, 1906 works for everyone. And readers immediately know you're talking about a specific year. Ditto with 18th century and similar time periods.

As a rough rule of thumb, I've seen folks advise you should spell out numbers under 100. Morganna blew out the sixteen candles on her birthday cake, while wondering what everyone would say if they knew she was really seventy-nine.

Above two digits, write 'em as you like, suitable to whatever genre you're writing in. Max dropped to the floor and did his usual 500 press-ups. An entire French army corps, thirty thousand strong, marched upon the doomed town.

Hmm, just typing that last fun example made me wonder whether dramatic emphasis ought to factor into the decision. Trivial numbers work fine as numbers. If thirty thousand bloody Frenchmen are marching on your town, maybe you'd want to spell it out. :)

Use the Force to guide you.

-Derek

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, just typing that last fun example made me wonder whether dramatic emphasis ought to factor into the decision. Trivial numbers work fine as numbers. If thirty thousand bloody Frenchmen are marching on your town, maybe you'd want to spell it out. :)

Use the Force to guide you.

-Derek

I typed out the year in the intro of my current WIP for "dramatic effect".

When you type it out, I think it puts a certain emphasis on it that isn't clear in just typing the numbers.

So my answer for the original question, for something like the YEAR, use numbers unless you really add sort of a dramatic effect.

My example:

In the fall of the year of our Lord two thousand and seven, I set out on a journey to find myself.

What if I just typed the date?

In the fall of the year of our Lord 2007, I set out on a journey to find myself.

The second one doesn't read as smoothly to me even though you say the exact same thing when you are reading it. I suppose I COULD take out the "year of our Lord" part, and it would like better with the numbers, but I purposely put that in there to exagerate the year because the story is about time travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.