• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The first sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
I know everyone dreads writing the first sentence. It's difficult and you're not sure if it seems good enough.

Well, I finished writing my book and I liked my first sentence. Then I had someone read it and they disliked it and told me to change it. They told me what I should change it to, but I don't like it. Now, when I look back at my original first sentence, not even that seems wonderful anymore... Now I'm stuck without a first sentence that's catchy. And I don't know what to do.

For weeks I've been trying to think of a good one. I've looked at many books. Nothing.

What to do? What would you do?

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Post it here and gather advice. I did and got a lot of help.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I think the problem with first sentences has been known for hundreds of years. That's why nursery rhymes start 'Once upon a time'. They really avoided a problem didn't they?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, need to see your first sentence (original and rewrite) plus maybe first couple of paragraphs for context's sake.

I'm not sure whether the reply I just posted in the slightly-similar-yet-very-different The first few pages... thread is any help at all:

I prefer to kick off with an action, or an emotional reaction, or a personal observation that inserts the reader into the POV character's head right away. The story/situation can wait for a moment -- what's the character doing or thinking right now that might interest me? And hopefully, the reader.

-Derek

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like the beginning of a slippery slope here.

You change the first sentence but then notice that it doesn't lead into the second sentence as well anymore.

So you change the second sentence to match the first which no longer matches the third.

A domino effect ensues until you reach the last page of your novel.

Holy SHIT! You rewrote the whole book :)

I hate writing that first sentence, but try to take some of the pressure off by realizing it does not need to be the greatest sentence ever written, just good enough to get us to the second sentence.

Personally, I put more stock into the feel and punch of the first paragraph than I do into the first sentence. Granted, you want a decent first sentence, but don't feel you have to win the pulitzer with it.

Mel...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I must be odd. I love the first sentence. OK, it can be a bitch to get right but it always opens up a new story. :)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I love Parker! The one about rabbit-punching the dude with asthma is totally my fave.

I think that first sentences definitely are important. They need to very clearly do something. Establish setting (first sentence of Watership Down: "The primroses were over." This tells us we'll be in a setting in which primroses grow - England - and what time of year it is - late spring.) Or show some kind of action so that we're starting our stories with something engaging instead of a big fat chunk of exposition ("When the man with asthma came in from the fire escape, Parker rabbit-punched him and took away his gun." Wow! Lots of action there.) Or otherwise make the reader feel firmly grounded in the story.

I don't think that the very first sentence has to be mind-blowingly brilliant, but certainly the first few sentences must be. You only have a handful of sentences to catch an agent's or editor's attention before they throw your manuscript in the round file and send you a rejection letter.

Definitely post your first few sentences and get a broader spectrum of opinions than just one friend's. :)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Love2write: Remember what Uncle Jim says about ctitics. When they say there is something wrong with your work, but can't put their finger on it, they're probably right. When they point to something in your work and say 'Change that' they are probably wrong.

Jason P

Registered
Reaction score
Here are few of my Parker faves:

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

"When a fresh-faced guy in a Chevy offered him a lift, Parker told him to go to hell."

"Parker walked into his hotel room, and there was a guy in there going through his suitcase laid out on his bed."

"Parker jumped out of the Ford with a gun in one hand and the packet of explosive in the other."

"When the car stopped rolling, Parker kicked out the rest of the windshield and crawled through onto the wrinkled hood, Glock first."

"When he saw that the one called Harbin was wearing a wire, Parker said, 'Deal me out a hand,' and got to his feet."

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
If I used "The primroses were over" (Libbie, couple of posts back) as a first sentence, one AW critter would ask my why the roses were "prim" and condemn me for being judgmental. Another would say, "Over what? Are they lying across a body or something?" Yet another would say, "Too much description -- you should start with some action!"

:D

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone who responded! There were some helpful tips and links. :)

I'm hesitant to post my first sentence or any part of my book online - I'm paranoid that way...

But I've taken a little break from writing it and now maybe things will fall into place. Thanks for all the tips again.

patrick bateman

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worked up about one person's opinion. If your original sentence works, use it. One problem with writers is that some of them can no longer simply enjoy reading. They have to "study" every word and second guess not only themselves but everyone else to the point that no sentence is every good enough.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Dear ILove2Write,

Why are you paranoid? Do you really think we are going to steal your idea? No thanks, I have enough ideas of my own. In fact, they are burning up my brain.

To be very honest, I don't care about YOUR idea. I wish you the best in publishing your story. I really do. But, I'm not about to take your idea and run with it. I think everyone here feels the same way.

If you don't post your first sentence, then how can we help you? You say you have a problem with it, but how can we help you if you don't post it? Think about what I've said.

Sincerely,

ILS

Status
Not open for further replies.