poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Dear ___________,

The stakes in this election are so high: with two wars abroad, our economy in crisis here at home, and so many families struggling across America, the need for new leadership has never been greater.
At this point, we do not yet have a nominee – and when the last votes are cast on June 3, neither Senator Obama nor I will have secured the nomination. It will be up to automatic delegates like you to help choose our party’s nominee, and I would like to tell you why I believe I am the stronger candidate against Senator McCain and would be the best President and Commander in Chief.

Voters in every state have made it clear that they want to be heard and counted as part of this historic race. And as we reach the end of the primary season, more than 17 million people have supported me in my effort to become the Democratic nominee – more people than have ever voted for a potential nominee in the history of our party. In the past two weeks alone, record numbers of voters participated in the West Virginia and Kentucky primaries. And with 40 and 35 point margins of victory, it is clear that even when voters are repeatedly told this race is over, they’re not giving up on me – and I am not giving up on them either.

After seven years of feeling invisible to the Bush administration, Americans are seeking a President who is strong, experienced, and ready to take on our toughest challenges, from serving as Commander in Chief and ending the war in Iraq to turning our economy around. They want a President who shares their core beliefs about our country and its future and “gets” what they go through every day to care for their families, pay the bills and try to put something away for the future.

We simply cannot afford another four – or eight – years in the wilderness. That is why, everywhere I go, people come up to me, grip my hand or arm, and urge me to keep on running. That is why I continue in this race: because I believe I am best prepared to lead this country as President – and best prepared to put together a broad coalition of voters to break the lock Republicans have had on the electoral map and beat Senator McCain in November.

Recent polls and election results show a clear trend: I am ahead in states that have been critical to victory in the past two elections. From Ohio, to Pennsylvania, to West Virginia and beyond, the results of recent primaries in battleground states show that I have strong support from the regions and demographics Democrats need to take back the White House. I am also currently ahead of Senator McCain in Gallup national tracking polls, while Senator Obama is behind him. And nearly all independent analyses show that I am in a stronger position to win the Electoral College, primarily because I lead Senator McCain in Florida and Ohio. I’ve enclosed a detailed analysis of recent electoral and polling information, and I hope you will take some time to review it carefully.

In addition, when the primaries are finished, I expect to lead in the popular vote and in delegates earned through primaries. Ultimately, the point of our primary process is to pick our strongest nominee – the one who would be the best President and Commander in Chief, who has the greatest support from members of our party, and who is most likely to win in November. So I hope you will consider not just the strength of the coalition backing me, but also that more people will have cast their votes for me.

I am in this race for them — for all the men and women I meet who wake up every day and work hard to make a difference for their families. People who deserve a shot at the American dream – the chance to save for college, a home and retirement; to afford quality health care for their families; to fill the gas tank and buy the groceries with a little left over each month.

I am in this race for all the women in their nineties who’ve told me they were born before women could vote, and they want to live to see a woman in the White House. For all the women who are energized for the first time, and voting for the first time. For the little girls – and little boys – whose parents lift them onto their shoulders at our rallies, and whisper in their ears, “See, you can be anything you want to be.” As the first woman ever to be in this position, I believe I have a responsibility to them.

Finally, I am in this race because I believe staying in this race will help unite the Democratic Party. I believe that if Senator Obama and I both make our case – and all Democrats have the chance to make their voices heard – everyone will be more likely to rally around the nominee.

In the end, I am committed to unifying this party. What Senator Obama and I share is so much greater than our differences; and no matter who wins this nomination, I will do everything I can to bring us together and move us forward.

But at this point, neither of us has crossed the finish line. I hope that in the time remaining, you will think hard about which candidate has the best chance to lead our party to victory in November. I hope you will consider the results of the recent primaries and what they tell us about the mindset of voters in the key battleground states. I hope you will think about the broad and winning coalition of voters I have built. And most important, I hope you will think about who is ready to stand on that stage with Senator McCain, fight for the deepest principles of our party, and lead our country forward into this new century.

http://thepage.time.com/clintons-letter-to-superdelegates/

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I hope that in the time remaining, you will think hard about which candidate has the best chance to lead our party to victory in November. I hope you will consider the results of the recent primaries and what they tell us about the mindset of voters in the key battleground states. I hope you will think about the broad and winning coalition of voters I have built. And most important, I hope you will think about who is ready to stand on that stage with Senator McCain, fight for the deepest principles of our party, and lead our country forward into this new century.

Obviously she's the candidate of hope. Anything to do with Bill's home town?

caw

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
A very thoughtful letter, but I have one issue:

In addition, when the primaries are finished, I expect to lead in the popular vote and in delegates earned through primaries. Ultimately, the point of our primary process is to pick our strongest nominee – the one who would be the best President and Commander in Chief, who has the greatest support from members of our party, and who is most likely to win in November. So I hope you will consider not just the strength of the coalition backing me, but also that more people will have cast their votes for me.

I hope she doesn't think this false stump speech will work on the Supers. It may have worked on some uninformed voters, but the Supers know what went on. They know it was SHE who also pledged NOT to put her name on the ballot in Michigan and that SHE agreed to not counting Michigan or Florida. This gimmick isn't going to work on them. SHE had no problem excluding those two states until she needed them. She and Obama agreed to take their names off the Michigan ballot, she backed out on that promise. She won a pre-war Iraq-style election where she was her opponent wasn't on the ballot. This factor will make it impossible to count Michigan without destroying the unity of the party and she knows it. I'm not sure who she thinks she's trying to fool here.

Again, SHE supported these rules, so she needs to abide by them. This "I'm fighting for your vote" crap may work on people who don't know any better, but these Supers all know how it all went down. This letter was VERY well done and dignified except for the section I quoted.

Last edited:

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
A nice closing statement on her part- don't think it will help, but nice.

I'll give her credit where it's due. She IS trying to end this in a dignified manner (and will unless her husband turns it into a circus again.) But she just had to slip that little bit about "winning" more votes.

Odds are the Supers will ignore that part anyway. But the problem is Hillary needs to quit saying it. If she really wants to "unify" the party, she needs to quit planting seeds of divisiveness in the heads of her followers.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention that the line about "more people will have cast votes for me" only works, ONLY works, IF Obama gets zero votes from Michigan. It's disingenuous to the max for her to say that, and to talk about "disenfranchising voters" in the same breath.

But, as you say, the SuperDupers see through that one already.

caw

Reaction score
Oh, the poor woman.

Poor Bill.

Poor Carville.

Poor Begala.

Poor bastards.

All of 'em.

:Shrug:

It will be a "nice" letter to read when children go to visit the Hall of Presidents at Disneyland in the year 2312.

HILLARY CLINTON'S LETTER TO THE SUPERDELEGATES

"In the year 2008, Barack Obama became the first black President. His rival for the Democratic Nomination was former first lady and Senator, Hillary Clinton. This letter was a despa/erate attempt to sway the final voters to give her the nomination even though it had been lost already."

And they'll frame it like this.

mhg_declare.jpg

And bored students will give it a quick look and move on.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
the timing is right. the DNC ruling committee meets on saturday to decide what they're going to do with the florida and michigan votes. their decision will not be based on the final counts because there are still 3 more primaries to go. their decision will be based on the rules. and the rules state that states with this infraction will lose 1/2 of their delegates, not all. so somewhere there was an error made when the decision was to strip both states of all there delegates.

also - the number of delegates needed may change if they allow any of the florida or michigan delegates. so that 2026 goal will go up.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
the timing is right. the DNC ruling committee meets on saturday to decide what they're going to do with the florida and michigan votes. their decision will not be based on the final counts because there are still 3 more primaries to go. their decision will be based on the rules. and the rules state that states with this infraction will lose 1/2 of their delegates, not all. so somewhere there was an error made when the decision was to strip both states of all there delegates.

also - the number of delegates needed may change if they allow any of the florida or michigan delegates. so that 2026 goal will go up.

I'll get you the math tomorrow (it's on my work computer, and I'm at home). But I've already done it, and I assure you, you won't like it.

caw

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get it. They might reward her for breaking the rules, rules she agreed to? And punish the guy who did keep to the rules? I just don't get it.

Hillary is shooting blank. Just a lot of noise. She's not gonna bring down Obama any soon.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
their decision will be based on the rules. and the rules state that states with this infraction will lose 1/2 of their delegates, not all. so somewhere there was an error made when the decision was to strip both states of all there delegates.

You know, you'd be right in la-la land.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it. They might reward her for breaking the rules, rules she agreed to? And punish the guy who did keep to the rules? I just don't get it.

You've got to realize we're talking about Hillary Clinton

She may have burned a lot of bridges but don't think for a minute that she doesn't still have cronies in the top brass of the party who will do what they have to for her. And somehow, I don't think "rules" are really what she cares about anyway. This Michigan/Florida debacle proves that.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
It's a nice, thoughtful letter.

They should read it, weigh its true merits, then respectfully ask Clinton to bow out.

Respectfully.

Because we can all imagine a scenario where Hillary can remain in the race, rightfully, and still DAMAGE the Democratic Party's chances at winning the Presidency in 2008, right?

She could be right, but be utterly selfish and destructive ... and then I suggest that makes her wrong.

There is such a thing as righteousness, to be won.

There is such a thing as self-righteousness, best avoided.

There is the good of the many bought by the self-sacrifice of the few ... versus the greed of the few at the expense of the many.

Weigh them.
Read the letter.
Respectfully ask her to make it be over, for the good of the many.

Retire to Puerto Rico, they love you there. They cannot vote for you there (remember that too, it's important: they cannot vote for you there), but their love is warming like the Boriqua sunshine.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
I'll get you the math tomorrow (it's on my work computer, and I'm at home). But I've already done it, and I assure you, you won't like it.
it doesn't matter to me as much as you think, bird. it's more about the principle.

actually, all the candidates' names were on the michigan ballot. they all removed them except hillary (since they weren't going to count then what difference did it make?) but the other candidates told constituents that if they wanted to vote for them to mark "uncommitted" on the ballot. and they did. so if the votes get counted obama will get his votes AND the votes from the other 2 candidates as well. he will benefit.
AND obama broke the rules in florida. he spent a couple of $million on tv ads that ran the week before the primary. so she beat him in that state without having any ads.

Respectfully.
some see it as respect by letting the primaries ride out to the end before they make their decision. puerto rico which usually goes last moved their primary up for the purpose of making their votes count. in previous years the nomination has always been decided before their primary. when they saw how close the race was they decided to go earlier this time. they deserve some respect for doing that.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
AND obama broke the rules in florida. he spent a couple of $million on tv ads that ran the week before the primary. so she beat him in that state without having any ads.

No, he didn't. Those were national tv ads; nothing to do with Florida. Clinton broke the rules by having a fundraiser.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
but the other candidates told constituents that if they wanted to vote for them to mark "uncommitted" on the ballot. and they did. so if the votes get counted obama will get his votes AND the votes from the other 2 candidates as well. he will benefit.
Thank you for clarifying that point.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Respectfully

some see it as respect by letting the primaries ride out to the end before they make their decision. puerto rico which usually goes last moved their primary up for the purpose of making their votes count. in previous years the nomination has always been decided before their primary.

Okay. But you could say the same about Indiana and many other states too. The nomination is often wrapped up before some states get to help decide the nominee.

But we can all remember that Hillary Clinton can win 1,000,000+ votes in the Puerto Rico primary and score a huge "popular vote" victory in Puerto Rico ...

But Puerto Ricans on that beautiful island paradise cannot vote for the US President in the actual November election.

The primaries are so close to their end, why should Hillary pull out now?

But why should she jeopardize the Democratic hopes of freeing the USA from the grip of the GOP in 2008 ... by after the primaries CONTINUE dragging the confusion and conflict for months until and into the Convention?

Why?

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
But Puerto Ricans on that beautiful island paradise cannot vote for the US President in the actual November election.
all the more reason to let them have at least this much. they already feel disenfranchised. why make it worse by shutting them out completely?

The primaries are so close to their end, why should Hillary pull out now?

But why should she jeopardize the Democratic hopes of freeing the USA from the grip of the GOP in 2008 ... by after the primaries CONTINUE dragging the confusion and conflict for months until and into the Convention?
reasons why:
1 - it's only a few more days. would expect a marathon runner who's 10 steps behind the leader in the race to quit when there's only 1/2 more mile left in the race?
2 - if she drops out now, some of her 48.5% supporters may feel like she was pushed... maybe pushed by obama (which if it were the other way around she would definitely get the blame for pushing obama out) and get even more angry. this could backfire on the dems in the general election.
3 - regardless of the DNC ruling committee results she needs to wait until they make a ruling. it may not go her way but she's made her case/argument and she needs to see it through.
4 - if gore had fought as hard as she did in florida then he may have come out ahead and we (the US) wouldn't be in this crazy wartime and economic mess. we could be leaders in green energy to save mother earth by now.

that's why.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
actually, all the candidates' names were on the michigan ballot. they all removed them except hillary (since they weren't going to count then what difference did it make?) but the other candidates told constituents that if they wanted to vote for them to mark "uncommitted" on the ballot. and they did. so if the votes get counted obama will get his votes AND the votes from the other 2 candidates as well. he will benefit.

Misleading. Obama (and Edwards) told their supporters to mark "uncommitted" on the ballot only after Clinton saw to it that her name was left on the ballot, despite pledging, like the others, to take it off. And it's the next-door-neighbor to a certainty that far fewer Obama-Edwards supporters went to the polls than would have done so, had their names remained on the ballot.

In any case, you saw the math I posted yesterday, I assume. Obama will get some percentage of delegate support from Michigan, that's pretty much a given, despite the desperation of some Clinton supporters that he should get none. And even if the Florida percentages are allotted as voted, Clinton still doesn't gain appreciable ground in the delegate count. Or, phrased differently, it's looking more and more like a moot point.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.