PDA

View Full Version : Cat Musings

Little Red Barn
05-28-2008, 11:33 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/Train_of_Thought/Kentucky/027-Tongue.jpg
I finally convinced ToT when she visited last week, a former, non-cat lover, to take this stray baby, Tongue, above here, as he will surely not survive another winter or the coyotes this summer. Much too weak--tired.

I'd like your help to educate, advise ToT on cats. How easy--how loving--the pros etc, to having a cat... as this baby, I'm hoping, will soon be cleaned, taken to the vet and prepared to become a Chi-town cat and give ToT much love.

ETA: Tongue will be getting another home, hugs

slcboston
05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
cats are easy... keep them fed, keep the "magic box" clean, and give them lots of love and they'll pretty much take care of themselves. Plus, they're soft and cuddly and warm (one book I read used the word "softwarm") which will be great on those Chi-town winter nights. :)

Seaclusion
05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
rule #1 The cat will always be under your feet when you're carrying a large awkward heavy object.

Richard

StoryG27
05-28-2008, 11:41 PM
rule #1 The cat will always be under your feet when you're carrying a large awkward heavy object.

Richard
This rule also applies to small dogs, children, and sharp inanimate objects.

I always thought one of the perks of having a cat as a pet is they pretty much take care of themselves. Feed, water, clean the litter box, and the occasional vet visit, and viola, cat well cared for (of course I add a little catnip to the mix, but that's nether here nor there).

Seaclusion
05-28-2008, 11:43 PM
rule #2 When the cat wants to play you have to stop what you're doing or you will be bothered until you play.

Richard

Seaclusion
05-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Sorry, I thought I was listing the pro's. I guess I should have said 'The warm furry cuddly kitty'

Richard

slcboston
05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
AGAIN WANT TO REITERATE, ToT is very nervous about becoming a pet owner. This cat is in desperate need of a home...just sayn.

That IS a pro... instant stress relief.

Also a sure-fire recipe for stress relief:

Take one cat.

Add helping of cat-nip toy.

Stand back and watch. :)

(Did you know pet owners in general are happier, more relaxed, longer-lived people? :) )

Seaclusion
05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
There. One cuddly kitty who resides on my boat and walks on my keyboard when I'm trying to write.

Richard

DL Hegel
05-28-2008, 11:57 PM
i have 4 cats two indoor two feral out door. The indoor cats are 15+years old are great company:) My outdoor ones are a joy also and i am slowly taming them:D

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
i have 4 cats two indoor two feral out door. The indoor cats are 15+years old are great company:) My outdoor ones are a joy also and i am slowly taming them:D
A concern: Litter box training. Esp. for a feral out door cat, but as I remember this is an easy task as you just rub paws across litterbox and show them where you put it. A big concern for ToT.

Ideas.

alleycat
05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
A concern: Litter box training. Esp. for a feral out door cat, but as I remember this is an easy task as you just rub paws across litterbox and show them where you put it. A big concern for ToT.

Ideas.
Generally, just put them in the box for a moment or two and they'll get the idea. ToT might also want to get one of boxes with a hood; less odor and less mess.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Generally, just put them in the box for a moment or two and they'll get the idea. ToT might also want to get one of boxes with a hood; less odor and less mess.
Exactly what I remember and I told her, but forgot about the hooded box--will get one for her, thanks!
hugs

slcboston
05-29-2008, 12:10 AM
training? we don't need no sticking training :)

(seriously. point cat at the box. End of training.)

alleycat
05-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Each cat is different, but neither of the two I've had have liked scratching posts. However, both have gone crazy over the scratching boxes made by Cat Claws (they have an online website). I got a couple for Lucky the blind cat one time (see the Writing About Animals Forum) and apparently he went crazy over them too.

Angelinity
05-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Cats are wonderful companions and their personalities are as varied as ours. I used to have one just like Tongue back in Chicago, her name was Whethersby, sweet baby.

I speak to my cats in sentences, and they understand and (usually) respond as expected. They speak back to me, but I'm not as good at making out their 'words'... Some are very affectionate and ask for cuddles every day. But others do not like to be picked up or even petted, they're all different.

With new adult kitty, it is important to give her space at first, let her get used to her new home. Have the litter tray set up when you bring the cat home, and do not move it: cats feel safer and adapt faster if the basics remain constant. Routine is important, schedule two feedings per day at about the same hour, and designate a feeding and watering spot. Always have fresh water in her bowl, change it twice a day.

A dedicated napping nook and her own blanket or pillow are a good idea too. But the cat will likely choose the spot, and may change it as she gets familiar with the house and her master's habits. Once she settles on a spot, try not to disturb it.

Pretty simple rules to follow, Tongue should be settled within a week or two, and it only gets easier. Once she feels she can trust her new mommy, Tongue will relax and her personality will come through. You can try a little play time: experiment with a few simple toys after a couple of days: a paper bag, a ball of yarn. My cat likes to play hide&seek (she's 10).

She will sleep a lot, so is not likely to get in the way. Cats don't require the same time commitment as dogs, they can be on their own as long as they know there is a home where they belong.

ToT has no reason to be nervous, these are the easiest creatures to care for. And they give back so much.

Susie
05-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Way2go, Tot and know you'll do a great job! :Hug2:

alleycat
05-29-2008, 12:36 AM
A couple of other points. The cat will probably want to find his own sleeping spot(s). You can get him a nice bed, but don't be surprised if the cat doesn't use it and instead chooses to sleep on a chair (probably the one that's hardest to get cat hair off of). Also, cats like to get away from it all from time to time; don't worry if the cat goes off for two hours by himself. It's just cat nature. It doesn't mean he's sick or hurt or upset. Mine is currently in the bedroom under the bed. Why? Who knows, she's a cat.

Seaclusion
05-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Mine hides in any open cabinet, drawer, locker, or even in the bilge.

Richard

DWSTXS
05-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Mine hides in any open cabinet, drawer, locker, or even in the bilge.

Richard

My kittie, Millie, will lay on the floor, the reach up and pull the kitchen or bathroom cabinet doors open, then crawl inside, and let the door close, and she will sleep in the darkness

Williebee
05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I've yet to have a cat that likes a scratching post. No idea why those things sell.

Currently we have 4 cats and a wonder mutt (see foto) who thinks she's a cat.

All of them are "foundlings".

Cats need stuff to play with, just like you and me. Small toys, small to medium sized boxes (they love to squeeze into small spaces), things that roll and things that shine. We have one that loves to play laser tag.

I thought it would be fun to bring home a small laser pointer to tease the cat with. It was.

But the cat knows exactly where the light is coming from and doesn't care, as long as it is there when she's ready to play. She stands at the landing, halfway up the stairs and looks at me. It's play time. Do your trick, light boy.

I've replaced the battery twice in six months. Hey, I said it was fun.

Keep 'em fed. Rotate food now and again so they don't get bored.

Keep the magic box clean. (We spent the money on the automatic cleaning machine. Felt stupid spending the money. Two years later I feel stupid for waiting so long to spend the money.)

Hold a hand out when they're near. If they feel like being petted, they'll come use your hand and pet themselves. After awhile it becomes a habit you both like.

TrainofThought
05-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Uh... You didn't convince me of nothin'. I can't take Tongue... well not that kind of tongue anyways. I feel bad and hope he stays safe, but I just can't do it. Sorry, Kimmi.

I finally convinced ToT when she visited last week, a former, non-cat lover, to take this stray baby, Tongue, above here, as he will surely not survive another winter or the coyotes this summer. Much too weak--tired.

I'd like your help to educate, advise ToT on cats. How easy--how loving--the pros etc, to having a cat... as this baby, I'm hoping, will soon be cleaned, taken to the vet and prepared to become a Chi-town cat and give ToT much love.

hugs

JoNightshade
05-29-2008, 12:51 AM
If you don't want the cat on stuff, use a spray bottle with water. You see the cat jump on something or start clawing something you like - squirt squirt!! (To this day all I have to do is hold up my hand and make a "shht-shht" noise and my kitty squints, lays his ears back, and BACKS OFF!)

I am sure ToT will soon discover this, but if you want to understand the joys of cat ownership, pick up The Cat Who Came for Christmas. Love that book.

talps
05-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Hold a hand out when they're near. If they feel like being petted, they'll come use your hand and pet themselves. After awhile it becomes a habit you both like.

This one is very true. Non-cat people have a tendency to act around them the way they might a dog, which is a bit more forward & aggressive with affectionate first moves. Cats are more squirrelly & more apt to run away from strong moves.

(btw, the converse is not true - squirrels are NOT more catty. Lousy pets. Trust me!:D)

Let the cat dictate, and eventually he'll be putty.

Good luck, Tater!

JoNightshade
05-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Whoops, sorry, cross-posted with ToT.

I would agree that if someone doesn't want a pet... yeah, don't take it. :)

DeborahM
05-29-2008, 12:55 AM
1. About 1 yard of any color yarn.

2. Make small ball wrapping it around something weighing a couple of ounces using about 1/3 of the yarn.

3. Tie off securely.

4. Make loop at other end.

Now put fingers through loop and toss ball end at cat. Be prepared to laugh till you cry.

DWSTXS
05-29-2008, 01:04 AM
our first cat, B, would sit at the front door, on the inside, and look up at the peep hole. Then she would launch, straight up, and when she got to peep-hole level, she would grab, or bite at it. Six foot leaps, straight up, for hours. scratch-thump, scratch-thump.

Our no. 3 cat, (Munchie) would jump up on the counter, and cry until you open up the freezer, and he would step onto the ledge of the top of the refrigerator door, and step into the freezer. He loved it in there.

#4, Millie, will open cabinet doors and scoot inside, and allow the door to close behind her, and lay down in the dark.

#2 - LittleMan - will stand on your tummy and head butt your forehead until he gets the patented ear rub that I invented that he loved so much.

Cats are perfection. They will make your life much more loving and calm.

talps
05-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Ah, OK... also sorta cross-posted...

But "Good Luck, Tater!" still stands, of course.:D

DeborahM
05-29-2008, 01:18 AM
:ROFL: :roll:

Doyle, that's too funny!

Lucky starts calling me from the bedroom at 9:30 telling me it's time for me to come to bed. He's a head butter also. When he's on his side, I'll poke a tit and say, "Kitty titty!" and he'll pop me with his spread out paw. Then the game is on and I try to touch his forehead or nose before he pops me.

DWSTXS
05-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Unfortunately we lost LittleMan in Feb. (Had to take him to the vet to be put to sleep) I thought that was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, until last thursday, when I had to take my Munchie in to the vet and have him put to sleep also. (Lung cancer)

I have never cried as hard as I cried for Munchie, in my life. I still miss him. But, I know he's with his brother, LittleMan now, and they were such buds.

THAT's the big problem, is when you lose them. THey are like family. I do miss my boys.

:(

DeborahM
05-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Unfortunately we lost LittleMan in Feb. (Had to take him to the vet to be put to sleep) I thought that was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, until last thursday, when I had to take my Munchie in to the vet and have him put to sleep also. (Lung cancer)

I have never cried as hard as I cried for Munchie, in my life. I still miss him. But, I know he's with his brother, LittleMan now, and they were such buds.

THAT's the big problem, is when you lose them. THey are like family. I do miss my boys.

:(

This is sooo true! The bond I have with Lucky is stronger than the one I have with my dog, Maggie, only because of the eleven years we've had together. I reach out and he's there sleeping by me since the first night he adopted me.

Doyle, you'll soon find a cute little kitty had found and adopted you. To help de-stress your life and let you find peace within again, but with him/her.

Ken
05-29-2008, 02:17 AM
former boss of mine had a cat.
I used to play "catch the string" with her.
She also sat on the keyboard a lot,
and enjoyed me ineffectually trying to coax her off.
Maybe Gray might enjoy similar entertainment.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-29-2008, 02:37 AM
This is one of the most wonderful cat gadgets (http://www.amazon.com/Litteraly-Amazing-Products-Hair-Magnet/dp/B0009YUIMC/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1212013954&sr=8-1)ever developed by man. All three of mine love it... One took to it right away, the other two have gradually come to see how great it is. It's cheaper at WalMart, btw... it's less than $20.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Uh... You didn't convince me of nothin'. I can't take Tongue... well not that kind of tongue anyways. I feel bad and hope he stays safe, but I just can't do it. Sorry, Kimmi.
Hey, you... you, you, goat buster, you so said if I took him to the vet etc... you'd take him. And besides, I was out at the farm tonight and he was looking for you--kept going to the cottage door peering in as I sat outside. :tongue

TrainofThought
05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey, you... you, you, goat buster, you so said if I took him to the vet etc... you'd take him. And besides, I was out at the farm tonight and he was looking for you--kept going to the cottage door peering in as I sat outside. :tongueI'll admit I did say that. Sometimes I say things when I know it will NEVAH happen. He kept going to the door for more Chianti sausage. I'm nice that way. :)

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 02:53 AM
I'll admit I did say that. Sometimes I say things when I know it will NEVAH happen. He kept going to the door for more Chianti sausage. I'm nice that way. :)
o

EriRae
05-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Aww--take the poor kitty. Do you really want to see him eaten by coyotes? Or frozen to death?

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Aww--take the poor kitty. Do you really want to see him eaten by coyotes? Or frozen to death?
Yeah and he is already losing parts of his ears due to fights and winter. One cat's ear is almost gone due to freezing winter...And did I tell you about the foxes?

DWSTXS
05-29-2008, 03:03 AM
This is one of the most wonderful cat gadgets (http://www.amazon.com/Litteraly-Amazing-Products-Hair-Magnet/dp/B0009YUIMC/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1212013954&sr=8-1)ever developed by man. All three of mine love it... One took to it right away, the other two have gradually come to see how great it is. It's cheaper at WalMart, btw... it's less than $20.

I bought one of those. of all 4 of the cats...none of them would touch it. Literally, not even TOUCH it.

However, I found that 2 of them LOVED a tennis shoe shoestring. They would play with it for hours.

OR, a plastic film cannister, ALL cats love those things, because the swat at them with their paws and they scoot across the floor and they chase it etc etc

Williebee
05-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Yeah, our cats didn't like the hair magnet thingie either.

I just wish I could convince the two long hairs to love the vacuum cleaner hose. I swear we ought to have at least a dozen bald cats running around here.

TrainofThought
05-29-2008, 03:11 AM
I want to thank all of you for your input. It has helped me to really say, NO!

cats are easy... Plus, they're soft and cuddly and warm (one book I read used the word "softwarm") which will be great on those Chi-town winter nights. :)I'm usually referred to as easy too, but I'm really high maintenance. A soft, cuddly kitty isn't what I want during winter nights. ;)

You can get him a nice bed, but don't be surprised if the cat doesn't use it and instead chooses to sleep on a chair (probably the one that's hardest to get cat hair off of). Uh, no cat is sleeping on my butter color chair.

Cats need stuff to play with, just like you and me. Small toys, small to medium :D

Aww--take the poor kitty. Do you really want to see him eaten by coyotes? Or frozen to death?No guilt trips, please. It's hard knowing he might not survive, but I can't take on a cat.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:11 AM
Crush aluminum foil /reynolds wrap and mold in little ball. They love it, all shiny and just a bit noisy like they like.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:16 AM
I want to thank all of you for your input. It has helped me to really say, NO!

:D

No guilt trips, please. It's hard knowing he might not survive, but I can't take on a cat.
None given as I'll be out there soon, hopefully, and then I can somehow get him integrated him with my other pets. He's a survivor--for sure.

DWSTXS
05-29-2008, 03:18 AM
well, I would take it.........but I'm still grieving over my Munchie. Besides, when I get another, it will be a kitty. That's half the fun, seeing them as kittens, watching them grow up.

Come on, ToT. take the kittie...It will be one of the best things that ever happens to you. I promise.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:22 AM
well, I would take it.........but I'm still grieving over my Munchie. Besides, when I get another, it will be a kitty. That's half the fun, seeing them as kittens, watching them grow up.

Come on, ToT. take the kittie...It will be one of the best things that ever happens to you. I promise.
Tongue will be okay and it is a huge responsibilty to take on a pet. So let's maybe use the rest of his thread on cool pet toys, advice etc...
big hugs

HeronW
05-29-2008, 03:25 AM
The more love you give the more you'll get. Rawhide leather bootlaces are great toys--and if they're chewed and swallowed--non-toxic. Catnip in old socks are fun, aluminum foil balls--it's easy to keep a cat occupied. Just open the fridge and share some ham, chicken, tuna. Yogurt, corn on the cob, are favored by some pusses. (One of mine likes coleslaw...) Cats know the best places for naps--anywhere! I've had cats for 45 years, can't live without them. I've been a professional catsitter for several years as well and enjoyed meeting all sorts of furpots. I've also raised one from 10 days, and mananged to place 8 foundling kittens, one which was blind.

ToT PM or email me if you need help.

EriRae
05-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Sorry, ToT. Didn't mean to go for the guilt trip. If a cat is not for you, it's not for you. Glad Kimmi will find somewhere for him.

So...to continue w/ Kimmi's request:

Anybody have advice on pukey cats? My vet said it probably was our cat food, so we switched to that really expensive science diet no additives food. We blended it with the Iams as he directed, but she puked more than ever. She pukes four or five times a week (no kidding, three times a week in winter and other non-shedding seasons). I feel so bad for her. We feed her the Iams indoor cat food. We have two cats, and the other never pukes.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Sorry, ToT. Didn't mean to go for the guilt trip. If a cat is not for you, it's not for you. Glad Kimmi will find somewhere for him.

So...to continue w/ Kimmi's request:

Anybody have advice on pukey cats? My vet said it probably was our cat food, so we switched to that really expensive science diet no additives food. We blended it with the Iams as he directed, but she puked more than ever. She pukes four or five times a week (no kidding, three times a week in winter and other non-shedding seasons). I feel so bad for her. We feed her the Iams indoor cat food. We have two cats, and the other never pukes.
Long hair? Isn't there a formula/ another food beside SD, now that eradicates hair balls? Keep her brushed faithfully too.

EriRae
05-29-2008, 03:41 AM
She's got short hair, and my other cat takes care of grooming her. I just don't know what's wrong with her. Our vet's answer is "buy these really expensive foods and formulas and we don't even know if any of it will work." We use Iams indoor, which is weight control and hairball, but that never even phased her.

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:45 AM
She's got short hair, and my other cat takes care of grooming her. I just don't know what's wrong with her. Our vet's answer is "buy these really expensive foods and formulas and we don't even know if any of it will work." We use Iams indoor, which is weight control and hairball, but that never even phased her.
I'd call around to other vets. We have a vet here who will only care for kitties... I know cottage cheese works for settling a dog's tummy, but cats should not have dairy products...well, or dogs for that matter, but vet advised the cottage cheese thing.

Heart wormed?

Silver King
05-29-2008, 03:46 AM
...So let's maybe use the rest of this thread on cool pet toys, advice etc...
Since ToT won't be taking the cat, Kim, maybe we should change the thread title to better reflect what this discussion is currently about.

Any ideas?

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:48 AM
Since ToT won't be taking the cat, Kim, maybe we should change the thread title to better reflect what this discussion is currently about.

Any ideas?

Cat musings? Or whatever you like, Dino. Thanks!

Silver King
05-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Cat musings? Or whatever you like, Dino. Thanks!
"Cat Musings" sounds great. You should be a writer. ;)

Little Red Barn
05-29-2008, 03:54 AM
"Cat Musings" sounds great. You should be a writer. ;)
hah, at first I typed mousings by mistake--see where my brain is focused? ;)

Jaycinth
05-29-2008, 04:38 AM

My vet...who is also my cousin and actually more like a sister...

said feed them (uh, my boys...Clyde James and Boots..aka:BooBooFlex)

9 Lives Daily Formula. Dry. (She's in practice with another doc, and they both 'reccomend' Science Diet...but between her and me....)

When I had an older cat she told me to supplement it with a tsp of brewers yeast mixed with some cooked ground beef, and mix it in.

I groom my cats a lot to help cut down on hair balls.

....and it helps to have minor children in the house to clean up cat puke and clean out the litter box.

writerterri
05-29-2008, 04:40 AM
You don't own a cat they own you.

Devil Ledbetter
05-29-2008, 04:41 AM
There. One cuddly kitty who resides on my boat and walks on my keyboard when I'm trying to write.

RichardWhat is it with walking on the keyboard? Mine does that too.

She used to sleep atop my monitor, but I recently upgraded to a flat screen and she's far too chunky for that.

DWSTXS
05-29-2008, 04:51 AM
They LOVE to walk across the laptop keyboard.

EriRae
05-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will try anything at this point!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-29-2008, 05:46 AM

I've got a yakker, too. Best thing we've found is to feed her a little bit at a time (she gets fed in the morning and in the evening). Takes longer; she still yaks it up occasionally, but not like she used to. Now she's down about a third from before. Brushing more and feeding that malt flavored jelly stuff, too.

Angelinity
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh I have soooo many kitty stories... At my house in the ol' country I now have 9, and we've had as many as 12 at one time, all foundlings -- well, except for the three we brought with us from Chicago... them are gone now :( two lived to be 18, but the third only 11...

Barnaby, my black&white boy, would not let me put him down AT ALL for at least one month after he... adopted me. I was building the house at the time... cooking 3 meals a day for 9 laborers and running errands like crazy. The solution to keeping Barnaby quiet and happy was to carry him around tucked in my T-shirt wherever I went. Kept shifting him from back to front, depending on what I was doing: when driving he was on my stomach, when cooking, at my back.

He's a big boy now, 11 years old and will stay glued to me every time I go home on vacation.

cletus
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
What is it with walking on the keyboard? Mine does that too.

So does mine. But his favorite thing is newspapers. If you lay on the floor with the newspaper spread out, he'll either lay down on it or attack it, depending on his mood. He's also layed down on hardcover books while I've been reading.

Angelinity
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I will try anything at this point!

I give mine a little butter once or twice a week. She licks it off my finger.

I feed her processed cat food in the evenings (but only fish packed in jelly), and chunky tuna in water in the mornings. I know the tuna may have too much salt for her, but it can't be worse than the processed stuff... Of course, tuna has gotten so expensive now, I don't buy it for myself any more... but we never miss one of her meals.

Funny enough, she's crazy about the juice in sardine cans, especially when packed in tomato juice... even with chilies! I always save it for her.

Can't remember the last time she puked, though she used to do it a couple times a month.

Jaycinth
05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Clyde James puked this morning the SECOND my daughter left the house for school.

(He planned it...THEY planned it...I KNOW they did!)

My cats always went for the Sunday paper or the chess board until I got my Lappie.

One cat, Cessna (how I miss her!), could walk across the chess board without moving a piece. 'BooBooFlex' Could do it also, if he wanted...but....BUT!!! He just lies down on it rolls over and scatters the pieces.

Clyde loves to shread the Sunday paper while it is being read.

Both of them love the keyboard, but Clyde can't type worth two cents and 'Boo.....' has an obsession with purple prose and excessive adverbs that makes his work unreadable.

My friend's cat, Mothra, is 20 and going blind. She just loves to sit in ones lap, purr and occasionally suggest a trip to LOLCats.