PDA

View Full Version : Crepes! They're not just at IHOP any more!

mscelina
05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
This is from my mother's recipe--one that she brought with her from her father's restaurant in Paris. It's been a bit of a pain in the ass (had to translate the recipe from French) but since Meowgirl demanded it--here you go!

*grin*

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp light oil--I use canola
1/2 tsp salt or 2 tsp sugar (the difference between meat or cheese crepes and dessert crepes)

Beat the eggs until just slightly frothy. Combine eggs with milk, flour, oil, and 1/2 tsp salt. The trick here is to beat it until you think it's ready, and then whip it until it screams. You absolutely do not want any lumps at all. None. If you think the batter is too thin, it's probably just right.

Lightly grease a small skillet. Here again, I use canola oil. A cooking spray will NOT work. Spoon in 2 tbsp of batter. Turn skillet until bottom is spread across the whole bottom of the skillet. Cook until lightly browned, lifting the edges carefully throughout. ONLY BROWN ONE SIDE. Turn the skillet over a plate lined with a paper towel. Place paper towel over finished crepe--repeat the process.

This yields 18 crepes.

NOW THEN--for the recipe listed above, use a meat, vegetable, or cheese filling. What I do is toss crabmeat, shrimp, and a shredded white cheese (swiss or provolone works best) together to make a filling. I spread a thin line of it down the center of the crepe. Fold the bottom and top edges up, then roll the crepe from one side to the other. Transfer to a plate, top with a little more of the filling mixture, and pour a white cream sauce over the whole thing.

But for a quick, easy, and classy dessert--

Use the 2 tsp sugar instead of the salt in the crepe batter. Otherwise, the process is the same.

Then spread a thing line of jam, jelly, or preserves down the center--and for Heaven's sake! No Smuckers, please! Homemade jams work the best--better flavor and a better consistency. Fold the crepe over as above, then add a little jam to the top and sprinkle the whole with powdered sugar.

A great dish either way--main course or dessert. The secret, though, is to make the perfect crepe--and if you follow these directions exactly, you should be able to do that.

:D

happy cooking!
Use

Sarita
05-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Then spread a thing line of jam, jelly, or preserves down the center--and for Heaven's sake! No Smuckers, please! Homemade jams work the best--better flavor and a better consistency. Fold the crepe over as above, then add a little jam to the top and sprinkI love mine with nutella. :) Would it be heresy to use nutella on your mom's beautiful crepes?

I'm so trying these on Saturday morning!

Bubastes
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

mscelina
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I love mine with nutella. :) Would it be heresy to use nutella on your mom's beautiful crepes?

I'm so trying these on Saturday morning!

Nope. I've used nutella on these; I made peanut butter and jelly crepes for my kids when they were little; I've also piped chocolate mousse straight down the middle and served them with whipped cream.

That's the great thing about crepes--you can dress them up or kid them down and they're still good--and good for you! BTW, crepes are also a fairly low-fat dish--I've put two spears of asparagus and a light hollandaise sauce on them or filled with ratatouille for vegetarians or people on a diet.

Sarita
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh, one more question. Does the recipe divide well? Can I make 1/2 and will it still turn out okay? I know some recipes hate being split or doubled.

Haggis
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Sounds wonderful.

Simple crepe dessert.

One crepe.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice on it.

Sprinkle with sugar.

Eat.

It's wondrous.

mscelina
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
No it divides very well. The crepes are so thin that even for a meal for three, nine is barely enough. It also doubles, or triples, well--which is why I use this recipe for desserts when I'm hosting a dinner party.

icerose
05-29-2008, 03:01 AM
One thing I love to do with crepes, take fresh soft peaches, white are the best imo, dice them up, heat up some homemade raspberry jam, whip up some cream cheese with powdered sugar until just sweetened.

Take the crepe, make the thin line with the whipped cream cheese, then add the fruit. Roll them up and pour the warm jam over the top and eat. They are so good.

We also do cooked puddings and such with crepes that are also very good.

L M Ashton
05-29-2008, 05:11 AM
I love crepes with cottage cheese and fruit. Yum!

CatSlave
05-29-2008, 05:18 AM
My Mom does a fabulous classic crepes Suzette: fold crepes in quarters and heat in a chafing dish with a concoction of Grand Marnier, butter, juice and zest of an orange, and sugar. To die for!

brianm
05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
We use crepes around my home a great deal. I make big batches of them, and then freeze them individually between paper towels or wax paper. Once frozen, I take out the paper towels and reseal them in plastic freezer bags.

Anytime I want a quick snack, appetizer, or dessert, I take out as many as I need, and then return the rest to the freezer.

Sarita
05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
What a great idea, Brian! I wont be splitting the recipe after all!

CatSlave
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
One thing I love to do with crepes, take fresh soft peaches, white are the best imo, dice them up, heat up some homemade raspberry jam, whip up some cream cheese with powdered sugar until just sweetened.

Take the crepe, make the thin line with the whipped cream cheese, then add the fruit. Roll them up and pour the warm jam over the top and eat. They are so good.
Oooh, Peach Melba crepes!
My mouth is watering. This needs to be included in the new recipe book.

HeronW
05-30-2008, 09:30 PM
lemon curd! YUM!!!!!!!

Southern_girl29
05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm hosting a housewarming party for my brother on Sunday. If I made the crepes Saturday, should I wait to fill them on Sunday morning or would it be ok to do it on Saturday?

mscelina
05-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Fill them right before you serve them.

You can make the crepes the day before (and sometimes they're actually better that way) just don't put the sugar on them. Just before you serve them, heat them up in a lightly oiled skilled (cooking spray is fine) and then follow the directions as usual.

If you fill them ahead of time, they'll get verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry soggy. You want them to be still warm when you fill them so that when your sprinkle the sugar on top, it starts to carmelize just the teeniest bit.

kikazaru
05-31-2008, 05:02 PM
When I had time to have dinner parties my fav dessert to serve was crepes. I would fill them with a cooked custard made with sugar, egg yolks, butter and Gran Marnier, top with sliced strawberries (that had been sugared so they were juicy) and a big blob of sweetened whipped cream.

Or if I was rushed I would spread a caramel sauce, sliced bananas, and whipped cream, roll and then top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and sliced almonds. Yum.

L M Ashton
05-31-2008, 05:22 PM
There is a dessert here called, simply, pancakes. It's a small crepe - about 4" in diameter and filled with freshly shredded coconut combined with jaggery. Kithul jaggery is similar to brown sugar but with a different flavour. It's made from the sap from the kithul palm tree like maple syrup is, then boiled down. It's sold in damp solid blocks, sometimes rectangular, sometimes the shape and size of a half coconut if a coconut shell is used as the mold. Very sweet and very very good!

Sarita
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM
CELINAAAAAAAA!!!!! I made crepes for breakfast with homemade strawberry sauce and fresh strawberries. OMG. These were divine! So light and delicious.

One small note: I use organic, cage free eggs and felt the batter was a bit too thick with the standard ingredient list. These eggs are usually a bit more firm than standard ones. So, a bit of extra milk did the trick.

Question: Do you usually use 2% or whole? Does it matter?

Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe. I'm thanking your grandfather, too, when I light my candles tonight :)

CatSlave
05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
When you put together the cookbook, will you do something like print the basic crepes recipes, then a list of variations on how to serve?

Once you have the basic structure, will we have a chance to tweak our recipes or add comments?

Sarita
05-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, definitely. The cookbook is a ways off, but I wanted to put a bug in everyone's ear about it. I'm thinking of having it ready for Christmas.

All the recipes will have to be structured like a cookbook, but I was thinking of having sidebars with comments from each contributor, with tips and such. I love when cookbooks do that. :)

brianm
06-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Once you have the basic structure, will we have a chance to tweak our recipes or add comments?

I think it would be a good idea to have the recipes 'kitchen tested' prior to their final inclusion. I know that I have written down recipes for friends and then realized later I had left something out or not included a step.

Just a thought.

Now about the contract, do we get royalties based on gross or net?

:roll:

(Always thinking like a writer, you know? :D)

mario_c
06-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I just love a crepe breakfast. Peanut butter (Trader Joe's sunflower seed butter is really good), jelly and sour cream. You can put anything in there: fruit, chicken, cheese, preserves, it's all good.
There's a French style creperie called Meli Melo, in Greenwich CT that is really awesome (a bit pricey tho).

mscelina
06-02-2008, 03:06 AM
CELINAAAAAAAA!!!!! I made crepes for breakfast with homemade strawberry sauce and fresh strawberries. OMG. These were divine! So light and delicious.

One small note: I use organic, cage free eggs and felt the batter was a bit too thick with the standard ingredient list. These eggs are usually a bit more firm than standard ones. So, a bit of extra milk did the trick.

Question: Do you usually use 2% or whole? Does it matter?

Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe. I'm thanking your grandfather, too, when I light my candles tonight :)

I use 2% for pretty much all my baking. I just...prefer it for some reason.

BUT, if I'm making a sauce or something like coquilles st. jacques--it's heavy cream all the way! No half and half in THIS house. So yeah, I guess I'm weird. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Southern_girl29
06-02-2008, 06:00 AM
I made them yesterday for my housewarming party today. I made homemade chocolate mousse to fill them with and served them with some warm cherry pie filling to go on top. I doubled the recipe, and after I rolled them up, I cut them in half. I didn't have any left. I would have tried them but I was having a little pregnancy sickness this afternoon and didn't feel like eating them. I'm going to have to make them for myself later.

Bubastes
06-02-2008, 06:04 AM
I think it would be a good idea to have the recipes 'kitchen tested' prior to their final inclusion. I know that I have written down recipes for friends and then realized later I had left something out or not included a step.

I've done that twice and I should know better!

mario_c
06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
I just made a pizza crepe - mozzarella, cheddar and tomato paste. Gotta try it with ricotta.
The mix was from a sourdough starter that exploded in my kitchen (another thread here inspired me), and it's so tasty - fermented flour and water.

L M Ashton
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Oooh, pizza crepe! Great idea!

And, you know, it was probably my sourdough thread that inspired you. You could always send me chocolate as thanks. :D And for that matter, if you made crepes with a sourdough starter, why aren't you sharing the recipe? Share the recipe! Share the love!

mario_c
06-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Why, yes it was. On Monday I put half water and have unbleached white flour in a glass bowl, covered it with a dish and put it in the cupboard. Tuesday it looked OK, a little runny but some bubbles. Wednesday I came home and it had burst out of the bowl onto the cupboard shelf (why didn't I put a paper bag under it?! I've been particularly loserish like that lately). There was enough salvaged to put in the fridge as crepe mix.
I think I filled the bowl too much. Yesterday I started again with a big miso soup bowl and a bit less mix. We will see what tomorrow brings...

L M Ashton
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay, then. :) So where's the chocolate? ;)

Sarita
06-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Speaking of chocolate... I'm off to start a thread. And then I'm going to write. I swear!

mario_c
06-15-2008, 08:20 AM
comin' up...I'll have to look for a yummy pic in the morning. My eyes hurt from revamping my website.

mario_c
06-16-2008, 02:45 AM
http://www.lighthousecakecompany.ca/graphics/Choc%20Cheesecake.jpg

mario_c
06-16-2008, 03:38 AM
It's a cheesecake! (my keyboard battery died before I could describe it)

L M Ashton
06-16-2008, 05:29 AM
...and once more, not offering a recipe to go along with it. Seriously, is it so hard? ;)

mario_c
06-16-2008, 06:28 AM
You don't think I cooked that?! I'm lucky I can cook chicken without starting a fire.