Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Most of you already know this, but I'll recap it for those who don't...

In 2006-07 my husband and I quit our jobs and took our kids out of school to spend a year biking around the USA and Mexico. In twelve months on the road, we pedaled 9300 miles.

Now we are getting ready to take off again - this time to ride from Alaska to Argentina. We'll leave on June 8 for that journey, and expect it to take about 2 1/2 years.

Anyway, I wrote a book about our last trip and have been trying to find an agent for it - without much luck yet. I've had quite a few agents interested in reading it, but then they pass on it.

In the past week I've gotten responses from two different agents talking about our upcoming journey - that I should write a book about that one and try to pre-sell that. While I certainly agree that our upcoming journey is definitely a book in the making, I can't help but think our last journey was worthy as well - how many families with 8-year-old twin boys go out for a 9300-mile bike ride?

So - what do you think? Should I shelf this book and try to write a proposal for our next one now? Or continue shopping this one around in the hopes that someone takes it? We'll be taking off soon, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have on the road, so I can't commit to too much, but I do think I could eventually pull a proposal together.

Thanks for your help!

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
If you have interest from agents, then go with their suggestions. It's usually a good idea to follow your agent's advice (as long as s/he's reputable). Not only does it make you seem easier to work with, but agents are professionals and want to sell your work.

However, I would recommend telling the agents about the previous manuscript and asking them if anything is wrong with it. This could get you pedaling in the right direction!

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
It seems to me like 2 1/2 years is a long time!! I can see shopping around the new one - but I just can't imagine anyone would buy it 2 1/2 years out. but then again - I'm totally new to all this, so maybe that's the way it's done...

I did just hear from the second agent and she wants to look at the proposal for the book I've got done, and MAYBE try to pre-sell the new one.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
BTW, I certainly hope you've arranged for some alternate routes around Southern Panama/Northeastern Colombia. Between the drug cartels and the FARC, it's not safe for Americans to go through those regions. Hell, even Embassy personnel have to have special permission to go into Darien Provence in Panama and can only go in with security.

I certainly wouldn't try to bike through there.

Last edited:

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
BTW, I certainly hope you've arranged for some alternate routes around Southern Panama/Northeastern Colombia. Between the drug cartels and the FMLN, it's not safe for Americans to go through those regions. Hell, even Embassy personnel have to have special permission to go into Darien Provence in Panama and can only go in with security.

I certainly wouldn't try to bike through there.

We'll fly or take a boat across the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.