Andromeda Strain...what a train wreck

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Okay, I'm a science fiction geek. And I loved the original version of AS. But this...this was tragic. I'll leave it to others to describe the plotholes, the uneven acting, the miscasting, the entire general WTF ending.

But I'll say this. The tipoff should have been right as the credits were rolling, when the words "based on a novel by J. Michael Crichton" appeared on the screen. "J. Michael Crichton??" It was as if Mike was trying to distance himself from this mess. That'll learn me to never watch an A&E produced film again. Sheesh.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
It was bad. When it first started, I thought, It's not good but it's not the worst. And then it became the worst. And i actually watched both parts. Cause I had to know what happened. Holy crap, could it have been any more stupid? I can't believe Ridley Scott put his name on that waste of 4 hours.

Gravity, i've seen many good things on A&E, don't let it bias you against all of them. but if that's the only one you've ever seen, I don't blame you for not wanting to watch A&E ever again.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, you're saying that having taped (yes, taped - I still use my VCR) all four hours of it... I ought to promptly tape over it and not bother?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I watched only the first hour and a half of the first part. Ew. I had some fun figuring out where I'd seen some of the actors, but after I finished doing that I got bored.

Nothing made any sense and it was...well...just silly. Why did they all have to wear those stupid t-shirts. I tell you, if I had to live in a secret location with a bunch of strangers I would be wearing the "team t-shirt" on the first day. Ah, just one of many nonsensical moments in a nonsensical production.

After I saw the original Andromeda Strain film I didn't sleep for a week. Of course, I was about 8.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I saw the original Andromeda Strain film I didn't sleep for a week. Of course, I was about 8.

I saw the original, but it was so long ago I didn't remember. I'd read the book more recently, but..

Maybe it's just been too long since then. Because the little bit I did see was of the disintegrating fighter plane and its nuke, and I don't remember that AT ALL from the book...

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
So, you're saying that having taped (yes, taped - I still use my VCR) all four hours of it... I ought to promptly tape over it and not bother?

Even watching the blank tape spool for four hours will give you more enjoyment than this mini series. If the idea interests you, I suggest you read the book. Otherwise, really, don't bother. It reeked.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was, also, 8 years old when the original came out. It was the first movie to scare me. Actually scare me.

But the words "remake" kept me from even caring about this thing - then when I saw the cast they had for it . . . Well, let's just say I could see that watching a Mariner's baseball game (12.5 games back in the West) would be more riveting.