When are words such as "very" "just" "quite" "suddenly" acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
When are words such as "very" "just" "quite" "suddenly" acceptable?

I've heard that words such as the above should rarely be used in writing. So when is their use acceptable?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
In dialogue only if it fits the character. One of my profs called very, quite, and rather "weasel words", and how often do we hear presumably educated individuals say, "very unique" as an example?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In first person, conversational style. In dialogue.

In narrative: unless you can't find a better way to say "suddenly, he was just quite very sorry."

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
When I researched the characters I am working on, I found they used the word "pretty" a lot. As in: "Hey, that's pretty good," or "That was a pretty bad fall," or "It's raining pretty hard out there." Since those words are used often in actual vernacular, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in dialog, if the character was being evasive, or if those words were common to him or her. I don't believe I would use them in any writing I would add as an author. Maybe, maybe not. Weasel words are a no-no in technical and business writing. I go by Hemingway. He uses them but sparingly.

June Casagrande

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.GrammarSnobs.com
When you delete them and your sentence is actually worse, they're a good choice. But those situations are rare.

"Suddenly, I was quite sure he was very homicidal." = fatty
"I was sure he was homicidal." = better

You can use them whenever you want, but try the sentence pared down first to make sure they don't come off as lard.

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
It also depends on how they're being used.

Just can mean a number of things: It just started raining. It just is not done! Just do the dishes!

As others have said, I would use them in dialogue, but rarely in narration. There are frequently more descriptive words available that can provide a clearer idea.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an example:

It was just another very dark and stormy night. Quite suddenly a shot rang out!

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
noz2.jpg
I just wanted to say that I would be very concerned if such words suddenly became quite acceptable, she said, nose in air.

Not all in the same paragraph, anyhowl. :D

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
>When are words such as "very" "just" "quite" "suddenly" acceptable? "very" "just" "quite" "suddenly" acceptable?

A colloquial speech, okay.

I find 'suddenly' repetitive since while I'm reading, one sentence follows another: 'he slithered out of the closet' reads as an immediate act.

The old butler's reply, 'Very good, sir' or 'Quite so, sir' are cliche though they works in some areas. As an extension of a description they feel weak.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
When they're not redundant.

If you have the knife-wielding maniac springing out of the closet—or bursting, or lunging—the verb has an understood "suddenly" in it. If you write that the maniac suddenly burst out of the closet, you have, in effect, an extra "suddenly," which has nothing to do but shuffle its feet and look sheepish. Very suddenly, of course, is right out. It adds another useless word. You don't want words that aren't pulling their weight.

Dialogue, as others have noted, is different. So is first person narration, or anything else where you need to catch the rhythm of a character's speech. And, y'know, you might come across a description that works better with "very" in it. These words aren't inherently bad. It's just (there's one!) that they're often pointless.

Izunya

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.