The perfect sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
From literature, that one sentence, better than which no one could possibly do. My nominee, from Cormac McCarthy (Blood Meridian), in reference to a group of men traversing the desert:

They rode through a region where iron will not rust nor tin tarnish.

I might as well hang it up now (the thought has crossed my mind more than once, lately). I'll never write a sentence better than that.

caw

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't argue that it's the perfect sentence, but I've always had a fondness for this line from the opening of The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley:

When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahern, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.

The "All the world's a stage" soliloquy by Bill Shakespeare is pretty good too.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
This is an impossible task. However, I'm rather fond of "Call me Ishmael."

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I nominate this one from Wally Lamb's "I Know this Much is True":

I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family's, and my country's past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things.

Round John Virgin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelboyd.us
The opening line of Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom: "Let me say this: Bein a idiot is no box of chocolates." :D

I can't believe Groom let the Hollywood screenwriters change it to this PC pablum for the movie: "Mama always said life's like a box of chocolates: You never know what you're going to get." What watered-down crap! :rant:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
All things truly wicked start from an innocence.

ERNEST HEMINGWAY, A Moveable Feast

Status
Not open for further replies.