PDA

View Full Version : I looked around and...

Beyondian
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Here's the thing. On the floor by my bed is The Bible, Gypsies in France, Mysteries of Paris (Eugene Sue), Billy Bunter the Ventrilloquist, Word of Honours (Sapper), an Agatha Christie Omnibus, and Anthony Wilding (Rafael Sabatini)
On my desk is The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Gypsy Law, Les Miserables, Old English, and One Thousand and One Arabian Nights
I mean, it's obvious that I'm both untidy and weirdly eclectic, but I was wondering what people would think of me is they walked into my room and took stock of my reading material. Apart from a fixation on classical French literature, and Romani Law.
What about you? What have you got sitting next to your bed or on your desk?

alleycat
05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
I've got so many books, magazines, and notebooks laying nearby that I wouldn't even try to list them. My house looks like a damn library.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
They'd have thought of me as a sex fiend.

;)

Seriously, like alleycat, I have so many books on so many topics and genres... they would have thought I was very well-read. That can't be further from the truth.

EriRae
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I have so many empty notebooks, unopened stacks of note cards, steno pads and Sam's Wholesale packs of G2 pens that I could open my own office supply store. I have five five-foot shelves of books (we're building bookshelves) so far, and three boxes still in storage, waiting for the window to be replaced before we can build the other eight ten-foot shelves. I always wanted a library :) My taste in books is more mainstream now that I'm out of college, but I do still have the classics, and my new guilty pleasure is Laurell K Hamilton (yes, I said guilty pleasure...hehehe), which has started a kick on vampire novels and research.

ETA: add to the vampire lore the fact that I work nights and get 0% sun, and visitors to my house may think I'm undead...

Pat~
05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
They'd have to think eclectic, I guess, due to sheer quantity and variety--but they'd also be able to tell what rings my bell, due to the categories. Besides our library, I have stacks of books wherever it is I tend to park myself in our house. The library shelves are full, so there are also books on the floor there near my favorite chair; the family room chair-and-a-half has an oversize ottoman covered with books, plus some nearby on the floor. Those areas are mildly untidy, but my nightstand is, well, overwhelmed. :o There are three 1-foot stacks of books, plus one more about half that.

Just a few of the titles from the stacks (not shelves):

The Bible (5 different translations)
KJV, NIV, and Strong's concordances
my car manual
Cardiphonia (John Newton)
Pilgrim's Progress
Skate Talk
An Anthology of Devotional Literature (Kepler)
The Jeeve's Omnibus
The Royal Way of the Cross (Fenelon)
Beyond Belief (Pagels)
The Renegade Writer (Formichelli)
Hidden Gospels (Jenkins)
Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling (Ross King)
Dinner with a Perfect Stranger (Gregory)
Heaven (Randy Alcorn)
Figure Skating with Carlo Fassi
Keeping the Heart (John Flavell)
Face to Face (Kenneth Boa)
The Stuffed Owl: an Anthology of Bad Verse
Eyewitness to History (ed. John Carey)
The Brothers Karamazov
Life in the Spirit (Macaulay)
Conditioning for Figure Skating (Carl Poe)
The Pursuit of God (Tozer)
The Partner (John Grisham)
The Rainmaker (John Grisham)
Secrets in the Night (Buechner)
Sermons on the Psalms and Gospels (John Donne)
Matthew Henry Commentary
a Coldwater Creek catalog
Choreography & Style for Ice Skaters (Harris)