Starting a new paragraph for each peice of dialog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
So I have a question I thought I knew the answer to but could now be mistaken after hearing otherwise.

Is it bad to have something like:

Suzy Q walked up to the door and knocked. "Hello?" she asked, looking around.

Or should I have a one liner, then a new para for the dialog?

Suzy Q walke dup to the door and knocked.
"Hello?" she asked, looking around.

I'm pretty positive I've seen it both ways, and while the majority of my dialog starts it's own para, I wanted to know if it was just a horrible red flag to be writing it the other way.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the first way. If I was writing it I'd use that one.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
No, that seems all right. If the spoken words are part of the action that the paragraph is about (that sounds awkward...), there is no need to break it.

What is important is to keep different speakers separate.

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
That's what I thought. I swear I'm just stressing over everything today lol. Thanks guys.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree slightly. I don't think it's a problem if some of the dialogue is part of a narrative line (although a new speaker will get a new paragraph). In the example you gave I think it would be better to begin the dialogue on a new line because you include additional action as well as a dialogue tag. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule about this but I think it looks awkward to have it on the same line when you have that condition. Also, if there is very much dialogue (more than a few words), then I think it works better to put it in a new paragraph.

Last edited:

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with alleycat.

In the reader's mind, the new paragraph also creates a small pause. I think it sounds better, especially with the example you give. Suzy would not say "hello?" immediately after knocking on the door. She would wait to see if anything happened. The new paragraph gives us that pause.

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
I agree with new speakers. That's an obvious.

Hm, well let me try another example.

What are your thoughts of these two the way they are? Or should I start a new para for the new lines of dialog? Or even after (like in the last piece of dialog in the second example)

I'm just curious now. :p

----

“You go after our animals!” said the first sprite.
The pitch of its voice made her wince slightly, too high for comfort. “I was hungry!”

---

“Stop it!” she screamed at her memories. “Leave me alone!” But they continued to cause her grief. Wiping more tears, she continued her stagger into the darkness.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My shot at it (without changing any of the wording):

“You go after our animals!” said the first sprite. The pitch of its voice made her [I would probably prefer a name here] wince slightly, too high for comfort.

“I was hungry!”

If you left the pronoun in, I might think about breaking it into three sentences:

“You go after our animals!” said the first sprite.

The pitch of its voice made her wince slightly, too high for comfort.

“I was hungry!

---

“Stop it!” she screamed at her memories. “Leave me alone!”

But they continued to cause her grief. Wiping more tears, she continued her stagger into
the darkness.

Last edited:

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Hey alleycat, thanks for being my pillow for me to land on tonight hah! You've been great all 'round the boards.

I like your suggestions.

But is it wrong to do what I did? I'll probably tinker with it, moving them around similar to what you did, but I just want to know for future writing if I should just not do it. And those two examples were out of two different chapters, and the only times in which it was done that way (without having it broken up), so it's not like I do it often, but sometimes when I write it seems to flow that way.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess in the end, what matters is whether it's clear to the reader, and if the dialogue you're putting in the same sentence with narrative is closely related. That is, that the dialogue is directly related to the action or thought that has preceded it. Or vice versa.

Again, I don't think there could be a rule that covers all cases. You'll be fine if you generally put new dialogue in a new paragraph, and only do it otherwise when it just seems "more right" to you. I do it too at times. Sometimes it just does seem right to put the dialogue in the same paragraph as the action.

I'm usually a pillow for a cat, by the way. Or as she liked to think of me, her human heating pad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.