• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Quotations on dialog - single quotes preferred over double??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
OK, I promise this will be my last question for at least a week. :D

I was recently told most agents prefer dialog like: 'Hello.' versus "Hello."

If this is true, DRAT, is there any simple way of going through in Word to change all the quotations other than doing it one at a time?

-wants to bang head on desk-

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The operative argument here is: "If this is true"

I don't think it is.

You can do a search/replace all in Word, but until you receive such instructions directly from an agent or publisher (which is highly unlikely, IMHO), I wouldn't give this a second thought.

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you've gotten some bad advice. Keep it as "Hello."

Use single quotation marks only for a quote within a quote.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Pick up several novels at your library and thumb through them and see how they do it. You're going to find the double quotes in every single one of them. Don't know who gave you that advice, but it's bad advice.

As an aside, dialogue tags are the bane of my existence. I used to vary up the words (instead of using "said", "asked", etc.). then I came here and found out you usually only use "said" and even then limit it and use actions with your dialogue.

Now I'm doing that and I still don't like it at all. I'm about to pull a James Frey and Cormac McCarthy and just say to hell with dialogue tags altogether.

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
I think this may be a British/American difference. A lot of British books use single quotes for dialogue, as did I, until I discovered that the American markets definitely prefer double. So now I just go by the preferred style of the publication I wish to submit my work to.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
And yet the odd thing is my UK version of my book uses double quotes as well. Doesn't really matter in your case though, in the USA, it's definitely double quotes, unless you are going for some stylistic thing.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd keep the master copy with double quotes, because it's easy to change doubles to single. It's a five minute job with find/replace.

It's not as easy to change singles to double. The problem comes in the reverse because it'll change all your apostrophes to double quotes. Lots of headache and angst.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Whether to print dialogue in double or single quotes is up to the publisher, who will set a manuscript as they see fit. I've yet to see guidelines that specify dialogue must be in single quotes. Feel free to correct me if you know different for sure. No argument sought, just hard info.

-Derek

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I think it's a brit thing too. I actually asked an english agent this, as I was told it was a big deal. The answer is that he couldn't give a stuff, as long as the writing is wonderful.

It doesn't matter at all. I don't even notice. When it comes to publication, UK publishers use single quotes, US publishers double. If you see double quotes in a UK book, it means it has been offset from the US edition, rather than set by a UK typesetter.

Words matter.

So I wouldn't worry. If the publisher wants it changed after it's been accepted, change it then.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'd keep the master copy with double quotes, because it's easy to change doubles to single. It's a five minute job with find/replace.

It's not as easy to change singles to double. The problem comes in the reverse because it'll change all your apostrophes to double quotes. Lots of headache and angst.

As an addition to this advice, I would also advise that IF you change doubles to singles with find/replace, then make a COPY of your file and make the change THERE so that you have a copy with double quotes and copy with single quotes so that you don't have to go back and re-edit your file on another submission.

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
The person isn't from the US, so maybe it was legit advice, just not for here. :p

And cool. I figured the find/replace thing would work but had my doubts because of the long hyphen (there is totally another name for this I'm brain farting on now) I tried replacing to double spaced hyphens ( - - ), but I guess it was the space that created the issues. (A certain publisher likes - - versus the -- , easier to read I guess?) Anyway, going off on a tangent lol.

Thanks for the response guys. I'm relieved.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You mean the em-dash? —

MS Word's default AutoCorrect kept changing -- to — which always drove me nuts.

-Derek

Sunshine13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Yes! Oh how I love thee, Derek. :D

Yeah it does that to me as well, so I've just been doing - -

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yes! Oh how I love thee, Derek. :D
If I had ten bucks for every time I've heard someone shout that...

Yeah it does that to me as well, so I've just been doing - -
I deleted it from the list (Tools > AutoCorrect > select item from list > Delete button) so I can type the regular -- 2 hyphens. Easy enough to add it back in again if I need it in future. Also easy enough to find the em-dash character using Windows character map (Start > Run > charmap > OK)

-Derek

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
You mean the em-dash? —

MS Word's default AutoCorrect kept changing -- to — which always drove me nuts.

-Derek

I'm not sure what PUBLISHER'S like, but the autocorrect IS the correct form of the dash that's supposed to be used. The double dash was just something that came along in the age of computers and typewriters.

All I know is that in English class we were never told to use double dashes.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what PUBLISHER'S like, but the autocorrect IS the correct form of the dash that's supposed to be used. The double dash was just something that came along in the age of computers and typewriters.

All I know is that in English class we were never told to use double dashes.
In a manuscript submittal it's generally correct to use two hyphens, rather than the autocorrect one. If it's published they will change it to the "right looking" format. This is similar to using underlining to indicate italic in a manuscript.

If it's just something someone is printing themselves, then the autocorrect dash looks better.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Your typesetter will also thank you if you turn off the smart quotes option in MS Word (you can also turn off the -- to em dash autocorrect, too).

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The thing MS Word gives you isn't a real em-dash, it's an approximation of same. This is why many publishers prefer the two-hyphen approach. On the other hand, it's not a huge deal if you forget to reset the style.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I'm a idiot. What are smart quotes exactly?
In MS Word, look under the "Autocorrect" item on the Tools menu, then the "Autoformat as you type" tab. It changes straight up and down quotes to curly-cue ones. Experiment and you'll see what I mean.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a idiot. What are smart quotes exactly?
The ones that actually incline towards the words quoted (as you see in books and magazine), as opposed to the straight quotes that look like the ones done on a typewriter.

ETA: Colorado may have described them better, curly-cue looking things.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

No it's not; it's as old as movable type.

But the em-dash (so named because it it properly the same width of the M in the typeface in used) and the en-dash (usually used in numeric ranges, like dates or page numbers) are largely the provenance of typesetters.

Deleted member 42

I think it's a brit thing too. I actually asked an english agent this, as I was told it was a big deal. The answer is that he couldn't give a stuff, as long as the writing is wonderful.

Yep; it's a non-issue. Brits use single quotes where we use double, and double where we Yanks use single.

The typesetter at the publisher can easily deal with this, and you're likely to have some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.