PDA

View Full Version : Sell Me On Your City / State...

Jcomp
05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I've talked about moving for a good 7 or 8 years now, but always found some excuse to stick around. But I'm determined to make this my last summer in San Antonio. It's not a bad little city, but I feel like a trapezoidal peg squeezed into a round hole here. Plus I've always hated the sticky heat, and I think my dream girl is somewhere else out there.

So... I need a destination. I took an online "test" a while back that determined that my ideal city is Portland, Oregon. I've looked into it, and it seems like a nice spot, but I'm not really convinced. That's why I need you to sell me on your locale (or tell me reasons why I should steer clear... like you'll be waiting at the airport with a shotgun if I show up, stuff like that). Give me the scoop!

alleycat
05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, I can't sell you on anyplace near where I live . . . it gets hot and sticky in the summer.

How 'bout Colorado Springs, Colorado?

MidnightMuse
05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Portland's fine if you like excellent public transportation, a park-like city, and women who don't shave their legs or pits.

Come to Seattle, the water's . . . well, cold, frankly. And we get rain.

You like rain, yes? It really only rains here for 9 months straight. The other 3 months it's more like off and on showers. But no sticky heat or constant sunshine. We don't tan here, we rust.

You CAN swim, yes?

Salem
05-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Southern California has everything! Beaches, mountains, deserts, small towns, big cities, great weather, lot's of fun things to do, driving distance to Las Vegas, Disneyland, Hollywood, Laguna Beach, beautiful wine valleys, etc., etc.!

Seaclusion
05-27-2008, 09:06 PM
driving distance to Las Vegas, Disneyland, Hollywood

I take it those are the negatives. lol

Richard

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Move to the Great White North, eh? Canada's got it all and it's even better in Southern Ontario! Nice warm, slightly humid summers, but don't worry they don't last for long and nice long windy, "my ass is so cold it's going to fall off in this 4 foot snow bank" winters. We got the best view of Niagara Falls, 2 of the great lakes in our backyards. The mosquitoes generally are repelled by deep woods off, beautiful song birds, wolves, deer, the occassional moose, bears, beavers, ducks and loons. There are lots of wide open spaces and you can accumulate a pocket full of change that would break even the strongest belt in less than a day! And let us not forget our national sport (bastardized by the wonderful Gary Bettman) HOCKEY! No we don't seem to have a team based in Cananda that can win Lord Stanley's Cup as of late (hey the Leafs haven't done it since '67), but the people here don't care...the arena's are still standing room only cause it's hockey!

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Oops, I forgot about Tim Hortons coffee...so much better than Dunkin' Donuts and *shudders* Starbucks.

talps
05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, I'm in LakerLand, so that's no doubt a selling point for you... And I second everything Salem says about SoCal. Even when the weather is bad, it's not!

That said, when I play "Anywhere-But-Here," Portland often makes the list. I have several friends who've relocated there over the past few years, and none regret it. I've only been there a couple times, but thoroughly enjoyed my visits.

Williebee
05-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Got Five bucks? SOLD! Come get it.

oh, wait you said sell me ON your city.

nuts.

Shadow_Ferret
05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Those are all great suggestions. Go move there.

You won't like it here. Honest.

I hate newbies.

ColoradoGuy
05-27-2008, 09:21 PM
How 'bout Colorado Springs, Colorado?
Lord no. I lived near there for long enough. Me, I like Santa Fe.

Salem
05-27-2008, 09:21 PM
You won't like it here.

I don't know about that. The land of beer and brats sounds kind of fun...I think I'll check it out for myself.:wag:

Meerkat
05-27-2008, 09:22 PM
WE have yet to lose a battle, and once held off the entire Persian horde with only 300 of our warriors.

Oh wait, that was "city slash state," wasn't it....

Devil Ledbetter
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Portland's fine if you like excellent public transportation, a park-like city, and women who don't shave their legs or pits.
Come to Michigan. We have water. Lots and lots of water. Fresh water. And we shave our pits.

If you like nine months of winter and three months of bad sledding, Michigan is for you!

Seaclusion
05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Move to the Great White North, And let us not forget our national sport !

Curling

Richard

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
DL...I'm just round the corner form Michigan. Ontario is better. You get to come to a foreign country :P

Priene
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
WE have yet to lose a battle.

Are you Spartans still in denial about Leuctra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leuctra)?

Jersey Chick
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Okay -here goes... (heh heh)

We have beaches and mountains - rivers, lakes, and, oh yes, the ocean. We have boardwalks, and skiing. Close enough to NYC to go in, far enough that it's like going to another planet.

There's a lot of traffic, but once you learn roads beyond the Turnpike and Parkway, it's not so bad. It's beautifully colorful in the fall, we don't always get a lot of snow, and our springs are perfect, if a little wet at times.

Yes, taxes are high. Tolls suck (hence learning all the back roads. I've never driven the Turnpike and I avoid the Parkway like the plague - don't need 'em anyhow :D)

Our governor's a twit. Our elected officials ain't much better. But one bite of a sausage and pepper sammich at Pt. Pleasant, and it all goes away...

Summers are okay - for about two weeks. Come July, it gets hot and sticky. Worse in August. But again, you go to the shore and forget all about it.

Am I at least getting close to winning you over?? ;)

cray
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
come to PA - we have lyme disease!

stormie
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Yep. What Jersey Chick says. We have over 1 million acres of pine forests called the Pine Barrens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_(New_Jersey)). And the beaches and ocean are clean, and if you want amusements on the boardwalk--there are several towns that have them. Other boardwalks in NJ are quiet and great for getting that two-mile or more walk each day. (I don't. I just like to sit on the beach. :D)

III
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
You're SO So Cal, JComp. Move there. And can I have your stuff?

cray
05-27-2008, 10:05 PM
perve

jennifer75
05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I took an online "test" a while back that determined that my ideal city is Portland, Oregon. I've looked into it, and it seems like a nice spot, but I'm not really convinced. That's why I need you to sell me on your locale (or tell me reasons why I should steer clear... like you'll be waiting at the airport with a shotgun if I show up, stuff like that). Give me the scoop!

I will need to know what your online "test" stated about you and why it selected Portland.

I'll need to know more about you to determine if I'm your dream gal. :P

In one Memorial weekend I drove an hour and a half east to the desert Palm Springs with beautiful oasis like swimming pools and lots and lots of beer, and then drove an hour and half west to the beautiful Santa Barbara Coast for more beer. If I wanted I could drive 2 hours south to another beautiful coastal city, San Diego, and guess what, I could get beer there too! And - yes - an hour or so north and I have the wonderful snowy mountains with lakeside pubs which you guessed it, SERVE MORE BEER!!!

Guess what is in between those four fantastic locations.....ME! hahaha. And beer. And so much more. Come to L.A.

PS, will gladly send images to further convince you that I...I mean that L.A. is the place for you. :P

Jcomp
05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
You're SO So Cal, JComp. Move there. And can I have your stuff?

SoCal is crazy tempting, and I've thought about that for a while too. Even had a job offer to move to Anaheim back in 2000, but I passed on account of the girl I was with at the time. Ah well... it's definitely a front-runner...

...but the 1st time the earth starts moving under my feet (as opposed to above my feet?), that's a wrap.

Salem
05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
...but the 1st time the earth starts moving under my feet, that's a wrap.

Oh, come one! It's actually quite fun when you get used to it.

Seaclusion
05-27-2008, 10:25 PM

As long as you're with the right person.

Richard

maestrowork
05-27-2008, 10:28 PM
J, I think it really depends on your ideal lifestyle. Since you're single and in the market, you may actually want a place with a vibrant single scene. It also depends on if you want to be in a mega-metropolis or a mid-sized city. Also, it depends on whether you like it hot, cold, or somewhere in between.

I've traveled and lived in many places, so here's my humble opinions:

Chicago is a GREAT city, if not for its extreme winter. I've talked to numerous people who love Chicago in the summer but hate, hate, hate it in the winter.

I personally love Los Angeles, but it's not a town for everyone. But there are tons of opportunities, the weather is generally pleasant, and it's a mecca for singles. Good-looking (albeit rather shallow) singles.

New York is too big, too noisy, too fast, too hip, too crazy. It's great if you're in your 20s and 30s, single, and just trying to get ahead. It's a vibrant city -- just a bit much for me. It's also not very kind to people without a lot of money. After six months there, I wanted to go home.

I wouldn't personally recommend Pittsburgh for a single guy like you. But the single scene is thriving here, what with a lot of younger professionals (architects, healthcare, technology, lawyers) moving to the former steel city. Plus if you like sports, it's a good place to be. It's very pretty (yeah, the old "dirty, smokey steel town" image is so 70s and 80s) and the people really friendly. It's also very close to all the major metros (DC, New York, Columbus, Toronto, etc.) which makes it rather International as well. Check out www.pittsburghskyline.com for some fantastic images of the city.

I also like Atlanta very much and it may be worth your consideration. It's booming so it does have its growing pain. And also the yuppies are kind of ruining the local nightlife, and housing is getting really expensive. Traffic is getting worse that Los Angeles. But still, I really like Atlanta. Lots of opportunities there. So if you want to stay in the South it's a good alternative to San Antonio.

jennifer75
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM

yea its a blast. cough cough.

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Curling

Richard

Don't make me beat you with a beaver Seaclusion!

Seaclusion
05-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I've always wanted to be beaten with a beaver.

Richard

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
perve!

Angelinity
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
hm. he don't like hot sticky weather. oh well. then he won't want to hear about NOT PAYING TAXES. nah, he ain't interested.

kristie911
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, our job market sucks but the sunsets are beautiful. We have great beaches and the water doesn't contain anything that will kill you. It's rural and quiet.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

I've got a basement apartment I'll rent to you...I really need the money! :D

Seaclusion
Now you know too much about me.

Richard

KTC
You WILL NOT find better than CANADA. It's the state between the northern states and Alaska.

Gravity
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Move to Cincinnati. And then if the End Of The World As We Know It occurs, you'll be okay, because it won't reach us for another ten years. Yeah, we're backward. So what. We have plenty of German food, so surely that counts as a plus. Other than that...to quote W.C. Fields, "on the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Gravity
05-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh yeah, our Cincinnati summers are so outrageously hot and sticky that Louisiana shrimpers gaze upon us with ill-disguised envy.

Did I mention our German food? Yeah, we have...German food.

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Poor seaclusion, but did I ever say or imply that being a perve was a bad thing? I think not love. Umm KTC...yeah. 'nough said.

JoNightshade
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
This isn't where I currently live, but I went to college in San Luis Obispo, CA, and would move back there in a heartbeat. I think it's like 50K population, it's about 4 hours north of LA, has fantastic weather (while still HAVING weather - the LA area just has one season, year round), near the beach, great outdoor hiking areas, great college town atmosphere, tons of independent shops, lively community scene (huge Thursday night market on the main street in town, lots of festivals, etc.). Lots of people who go to college there like it so much that they start their own businesses or find other things to do in town and stay.

Actually, my going to college in SLO resulted in my family's gradual migration there. First my aunt and uncle (from Washington) bought a condo there... now they're renting it to my grandparents (from Northern California), and they actually bought a house and moved in! My cousin (living in Florida) also moved out recently. My parents go down and visit whenever they get time off. So we now have most of our family get-togethers in SLO. :)

Jcomp
05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Just read through some of the suggestions, I think you should give us all a little more info. about yourself and what you might be looking for so we can point out the positve and negative aspects of our city based on your desires.

Well... as much as I hate to talk about myself...

...I'm 28, single, I'm attracted to places that have a good "scene" going on. Not too crazy, but a place where there's always something to do, any night of the week. And different, interesting stuff. One thing about San Antonio, there's stuff to do, but you have to hunt it down. I've been here since '94, I'm out quite a bit and the city's not that big at all, and there's still a ton of stuff that sneaks by me. This city does a fairly poor job of marketing itself.

I enjoy going out, but I find bars & lounges preferable to clubs. I love the music, but I was never the dude trying to dance like Usher with a girl out on the floor, I'd rather hold convo. And you go to the club & you end up having one of those awkward, shouting exchanges with girls:

"What's your name?!"
"Johnny!"
"Ronnie!"
"No, no, Johnny!"
"Oh, Donnie!"
"....Yeah, sure."

I'm fairly focused on business and making more money these days, mostly so I can have more fun when I'm not working. I rather enjoy being able to spend on friends, dates, self, family, etc., so a healthy economy is pretty sexy.

I'd love to live somewhere with actual seasons. Not too keen on blistering summers unless there's some nearby body of water I can launch myself into. And one thing about Texas is that it's spoiled me with generally hospitable people. I don't even notice it really, but many people I've known who are new here talk about the friendliness like they've entered the Twilight Zone.

JoNightshade
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Yes. You should move to SLO.

Yeshanu
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Move to the Great White North, eh? Canada's got it all and it's even better in Southern Ontario! Nice warm, slightly humid summers, but don't worry they don't last for long and nice long windy, "my ass is so cold it's going to fall off in this 4 foot snow bank" winters. We got the best view of Niagara Falls, 2 of the great lakes in our backyards. The mosquitoes generally are repelled by deep woods off, beautiful song birds, wolves, deer, the occassional moose, bears, beavers, ducks and loons. There are lots of wide open spaces and you can accumulate a pocket full of change that would break even the strongest belt in less than a day! And let us not forget our national sport (bastardized by the wonderful Gary Bettman) HOCKEY! No we don't seem to have a team based in Cananda that can win Lord Stanley's Cup as of late (hey the Leafs haven't done it since '67), but the people here don't care...the arena's are still standing room only cause it's hockey!

I took a bus to Toronto yesterday from my home in Guelph. As we drove past the escarpment on the 401, I looked at the sparkling blue lake and the tree-covered hills and wondered why the heck anyone would want to live anywhere else.

quickWit
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
This isn't where I currently live, but I went to college in San Luis Obispo, CA, and would move back there in a heartbeat.

San Luis Obispo is one of my favorite places on earth. Take me with you, OK? I won't eat much, and I promise to be quiet. :D

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeshanu you should come visit me. I be in Brantford!

Yeshanu
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Well... as much as I hate to talk about myself...

...I'm 28, single, I'm attracted to places that have a good "scene" going on. Not too crazy, but a place where there's always something to do, any night of the week. And different, interesting stuff. One thing about San Antonio, there's stuff to do, but you have to hunt it down. I've been here since '94, I'm out quite a bit and the city's not that big at all, and there's still a ton of stuff that sneaks by me. This city does a fairly poor job of marketing itself.

I enjoy going out, but I find bars & lounges preferable to clubs. I love the music, but I was never the dude trying to dance like Usher with a girl out on the floor, I'd rather hold convo. And you go to the club & you end up having one of those awkward, shouting exchanges with girls:

"What's your name?!"
"Johnny!"
"Ronnie!"
"No, no, Johnny!"
"Oh, Donnie!"
"....Yeah, sure."

I'm fairly focused on business and making more money these days, mostly so I can have more fun when I'm not working. I rather enjoy being able to spend on friends, dates, self, family, etc., so a healthy economy is pretty sexy.

I'd love to live somewhere with actual seasons. Not too keen on blistering summers unless there's some nearby body of water I can launch myself into. And one thing about Texas is that it's spoiled me with generally hospitable people. I don't even notice it really, but many people I've known who are new here talk about the friendliness like they've entered the Twilight Zone.

Having just read this...

C'mon up and join us, eh? Sounds like the Toronto area would be absolutely perfect for you. We got clubs, we got water, we got seasons--winter and construction being the two primary ones, but we also have a gorgeous autumn and lovely springs--and a pretty decent economy.

Yeshanu
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM

I wondered where exactly you were. After the blockbuster season is over (I work in a theatre), we can go for coffee. At Tim's. :D

(Or I could take you out for a movie, 'cause I get free passes.)

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah and right now it's construction season! and J, I moved up here from Austin a couple years ago...so I know what you're going through.

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
That'd be cool...just have to give me a day's notice. I don't live here in Brantford, I just visit several times a week. My neighbours are cows...big, stinky cows.

Seaclusion
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
. My neighbours are cows...big, stinky cows.

I hope they don't read AW or you'll have some peeved neighbors.

Richard

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Rofl

jennifer75
05-27-2008, 11:30 PM
SoCal is crazy tempting, and I've thought about that for a while too.

I'm crazy tempting too. And I'm thinking about you too. Oh what was the question? hahaha....crazy is the key word here. So when you moving to sunny So Cal a.k.a my hood?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Lessee... Oklahoma. Oklahoma City, specifically.

The weather is... uh... well... it's exciting. And it's humid here, too. And it's windy.

I don't think I can sell you this one, can I?

Joycecwilliams
05-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Yep. What Jersey Chick says. We have over 1 million acres of pine forests called the Pine Barrens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_%28New_Jersey%29). And the beaches and ocean are clean, and if you want amusements on the boardwalk--there are several towns that have them. Other boardwalks in NJ are quiet and great for getting that two-mile or more walk each day. (I don't. I just like to sit on the beach. :D)

I was born and raised in NJ.... it has some great places. However contrary to what the public at large thinks... you can be in the pine barrens forever and not see a store or anything.. I love it there...

JLCwrites
05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Portland is nice, but you will need to tolerate lots of rain. The summers are wonderful, fall is full of color, and spring blooms are beautiful. But the months between October and June are cloudy and rainy.

Salem
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm crazy tempting too. And I'm thinking about you too.

Jennifer, alone, is reason enough to move to SoCal. That's why I'm here.

And no tornados. And very few bugs compared to the East coast. And great authentic Mexican food. And very little humidity...

jennifer75
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Hottpants, who needs men when we have each other? :)

jennifer75
05-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Jennifer, alone, is reason enough to move to SoCal. That's why I'm here.

And no tornados. And very few bugs compared to the East coast. And great authentic Mexican food. And very little humidity...

Listen to her, she's right. And the part about T-dos and bugs and the fabulous mexican food are accurate too.

jennifer75
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
oh hottpants, i have palm springs pics on myspace go checkem out.

Seaclusion
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
And the part about Jennifer alone???

Richard

Joycecwilliams
05-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I've lived in NH for the past 20+ years. There are wonderful, beautiful things about NH... which I will list first.

Beautiful Mountains, pristine rivers, streams, and wonderful mountain lakes to go swimming on a hot day.

We have a great airport that is easy to commute to and cheap to park at for the week.

Our legislatures only make $100.00 a year.

We have the nations first primary and therefore get to see all the politicians up close and personal.

We have no state income tax, or sale tax.

People are friendly

beautiful fall foliage

Moose

low crime rate

Near Boston MA

Our State Motto is Live Free or Die

Voted by Libertarian Party to be the Freest State in the Union

Very low humidity in fact you need to keep a blanket on your bed in the summer.

Here are the things I don't like about NH

Winters are ungodly cold.
Most of the men here think getting dressed up, means not wearing their jeans with holes in them.
The ungodly cold winters.
The large amounts of snowfall.
The ungodly cold winters.

jennifer75
05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
hahaha......yea...it's such a travesty.

Joycecwilliams
05-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Okay -here goes... (heh heh)

We have beaches and mountains - rivers, lakes, and, oh yes, the ocean. We have boardwalks, and skiing. Close enough to NYC to go in, far enough that it's like going to another planet.

There's a lot of traffic, but once you learn roads beyond the Turnpike and Parkway, it's not so bad. It's beautifully colorful in the fall, we don't always get a lot of snow, and our springs are perfect, if a little wet at times.

Yes, taxes are high. Tolls suck (hence learning all the back roads. I've never driven the Turnpike and I avoid the Parkway like the plague - don't need 'em anyhow :D)

Our governor's a twit. Our elected officials ain't much better. But one bite of a sausage and pepper sammich at Pt. Pleasant, and it all goes away...

Summers are okay - for about two weeks. Come July, it gets hot and sticky. Worse in August. But again, you go to the shore and forget all about it.

Am I at least getting close to winning you over?? ;)

YOU FORGOT THE BEST PART!!
IT'S ILLEGAL TO PUMP YOUR OWN GAS IN NJ!

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 12:09 AM
BTW, there are two major league urban universities (Pitt and Carnegie-Mellon) in the 'Burgh and plenty of "scenes" on and off campus. 28? You'll fit right in with the grads. It's also not quite East Coast, and not quite Midwest, so it's kind of nice. It's a compact town so downtown living is the bomb. Distinct four seasons (winter is relatively mild). Two major papers. Three major teams. A world-class symphony orchestra. A cultural district. Three rivers. Politically leaning moderate/left. It's been voted #1 most livable city twice, and has been in the top 10 for the last 25 years. If you're thinking of Portland, Ore anyway, definitely give the 'Burgh a tour. If I'm in town, I'll even buy you a bus token.

;)

robeiae
05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Sell Me On Your City / State...

You're not welcome, here.

KTC
05-28-2008, 12:25 AM

I was in Brantford two weeks ago.

KTC
05-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Having just read this...

C'mon up and join us, eh? Sounds like the Toronto area would be absolutely perfect for you. We got clubs, we got water, we got seasons--winter and construction being the two primary ones, but we also have a gorgeous autumn and lovely springs--and a pretty decent economy.

Yep... he could have been writing an ad for Toronto.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Yep... he could have been writing an ad for Toronto.

Except the 8 months of winter. I somehow doubt Jcomp enjoys 94" of snow.

Komnena
05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
If you think the sticky heat in San Antonio is bad you don't want to come to Louisville, Ky.

KTC
05-28-2008, 12:29 AM

The winters here are not as monumental as some believe. This year there was a lot of snow, but the last few have been pretty mild.

WendyNYC
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I love Manhattan, but yeah, there are easier places to live. Don't move here unless you are willing to put up with a lot.

Snowstorm
05-28-2008, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't try to sell you on Wyoming, Jcomp, but I'll warn you. It's a horrible place to live: The wind blows all the time; for a great steak it's common to drive a hundred miles; I'm chasing cows out of my yard about eight times a day during the summer. We do have the four seasons though: almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction.

Tell all your friends.

Haggis
05-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Haggis: Welcome to Detroit, Jcomp.

Jcomp: Thanks, Haggis.

Haggis: Quick. Get behind this building. Those two guys over there are packing.

Jcomp: Packing?

Haggis: Nothing to worry about. You'll find that sometimes days go by without shots being fired in your direction.

Jcomp: Haggis! That guy over there is pistol-whipping an old man. We've got to stop him.

Haggis: Don't be silly, Jcomp. That's our mayor. He's just...um...discussing policy with one of the city councilmen.

Jcomp: I don't know if I like this place.

Haggis: Don't be silly. We've got the Red Wings. We've got the Pistons. Occasionally, even the Tigers show up. Life's good.

Jcomp: Don't you have a NFL football team?

Haggis: No.

Jcomp: You're not convincing me, Haggis. Give me one good reason I should move here.

Haggis: Motown?

Jcomp: Not good enough.

Haggis: Three thriving casinos?

Jcomp: Try again.

Haggis: *sighs and presses barrel of .45 pistol against the back of Jcomp's neck*

Jcomp: Um...I think I'm going to like it here.

Jcomp
05-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Haggis: Don't be silly. We've got the Red Wings. We've got the Pistons. Occasionally, even the Tigers show up. Life's good.

Classic!

Joycecwilliams
05-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Haggis: Don't be silly, Jcomp. That's our mayor. He's just...um...discussing policy with one of the city councilmen.
Isn't your mayor in a heap of trouble???

Motown rocks, but only the older stuff... like Smokey,Temptations, Chi Lites, Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell, Martha Reeves, Mary Wells... etc...

K1P1
05-28-2008, 01:56 AM
No way - there are already too many people moving here. And it's hot and sticky in the summer. In the winter all the students are here. That enough to clue you in?

DWSTXS
05-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Don't come to Dallas.

It's flat, gray, and dull.

too windy (windier than Chicago, it's been proven)

It's usually as hot as Vegas during the summer.

No scenery, women are smoking hot though (but they're all golddiggers) and a lot of the guys are douchebags (you know, those 30k millionaires?)

Nothing here but strip malls and banks on every corner

I had my way, Dallas would be burned down for the insurance money.

TerzaRima
05-28-2008, 02:07 AM
Haggis. Give me one good reason I should move here.

Vernor's Ginger Ale! Greektown! More good Middle Eastern restaurants than you can shake a stick at! Hockey, man, hockey!

Sarita
05-28-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm in State College, PA. Kind of like Asheville, but with less hippies. Decent scene, lots of young people because of PSU. Lots of fresh thinking (a lot of grads end up starting new businesses here or making corporate open branches here.) We do have 4 seasons, but it's really quiet in the summer. And unless you're a PSU fan, or a college football fan, the fall is pretty boring. (I happen to LOVE football, so fall is my favorite.) Lots of local music, a few clubs, but mostly bars with tunes, with a mellow feel, culture, art, hiking, biking, and cute girls. Lots and lots of cute girls. :)

Just to second a few comments: Toronto is a great city. Philly is pretty cool. Pittsburgh is great. What I've seen of LA, I've liked. And I absolutely love NYC.

TrainofThought
05-28-2008, 02:31 AM
San Luis Obispo is one of my favorite places on earth. Take me with you, OK? I won't eat much, and I promise to be quiet. :DYes, please take him and put him in a sound proof basement with no windows.

Haggis: Welcome to Detroit, Jcomp.

Jcomp: Thanks, Haggis.

Haggis: Quick. Get behind this building. Those two guys over there are packing.

Jcomp: Packing?

Haggis: Nothing to worry about. You'll find that sometimes days go by without shots being fired in your direction.

Jcomp: Haggis! That guy over there is pistol-whipping an old man. We've got to stop him.

Jcomp: I don't know if I like this place.

Jcomp: You're not convincing me, Haggis. Give me one good reason I should move here.

Jcomp: Not good enough.

Haggis: Three thriving casinos?

Jcomp: Try again.

Haggis: *sighs and presses barrel of .45 pistol against the back of Jcomp's neck*

Jcomp: Um...I think I'm going to like it here.:roll: WOW! Sounds like a day in Chicago, except we use 9 mm.

Jersey Chick
05-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Did I mention the produce??? Some of the best produce ever is grown right here!

Tomatoes (I've got a plant percolatin' right now - tomatoes in a few weeks, or so)

Corn - knee high by the 4th of July

Blueberries

Cranberries

Peaches

And, if you're feelin' all kinds of squirrelly, you can even pick 'em yourself (personally, I never understood that - have you actually ever picked blueberries in NJ in the middle of the summer??? You have to be crazy. But some people love doing it - nuts, all of them)

And Italian ices! On the boardwalk - listening to the ocean crashing on the beach...

Blondchen
05-28-2008, 02:56 AM
I take it those are the negatives. lol

Richard

Then you've been hanging out with the wrong people.

I'm actually a native San Franciscan (which I shouldn't really need to sell to anyone considering it is easily the most beautiful city in the U.S.) but I have to say, living in LA - it own indescribable magnetism. It's ridiculous, yes, but for the most part we have a sense of humor about it. But there is an excitement here - an energy revolving around the entertainment industry - that you don't find many places. I've felt it in D.C. as well, another town that rotates around one highly energized industry, and it is really intoxicating.

If you like that kind of thing.

Blondchen
05-28-2008, 03:01 AM
...but the 1st time the earth starts moving under my feet (as opposed to above my feet?), that's a wrap.

I'll take a quake over a tornado anyday, and yes, I've been through both.

Carole
05-28-2008, 03:16 AM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/sinner99/DSCN0424-1.jpg

East Tennessee. 'Nuff said :D

ColoradoGuy
05-28-2008, 03:18 AM

So you want me to start posting pictures of the Rockies?

Sarita
05-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Oh yeah, Jersey is great. Despite what people might say. :)

Carole
05-28-2008, 03:19 AM
So you want me to start posting pictures of the Rockies?

Been there, prefer the Smokies. :)

ColoradoGuy
05-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Been there, prefer the Smokies. :)
Too many bugs for me.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 03:28 AM

Tomatoes (I've got a plant percolatin' right now - tomatoes in a few weeks, or so)

Blueberries

Cranberries

Peaches

And, if you're feelin' all kinds of squirrelly, you can even pick 'em yourself (personally, I never understood that - have you actually ever picked blueberries in NJ in the middle of the summer??? You have to be crazy. But some people love doing it - nuts, all of them)

And Italian ices! On the boardwalk - listening to the ocean crashing on the beach...

He's a 28-year-old single guy. Wrong advice!

:)

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 03:33 AM
I have to say, living in LA - it own indescribable magnetism. It's ridiculous, yes, but for the most part we have a sense of humor about it. But there is an excitement here - an energy revolving around the entertainment industry - that you don't find many places.

I have to agree. 8 out of 10 friends I know there work in the industry. There's an insurmountable level of energy, sophistication and buzz. Sitting at a coffee shop in LA has a completely different buzz than anywhere else, and it's amazing. Lots of creativity, also just different types of people (weird ones, nice looking ones, not so nice looking ones, movie stars, movie star wannabes, screenwriters... you name it). I happen to LOVE writing while I'm in LA. I finished the last 1/4 of my first novel over the two weeks I was there.

Carole
05-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Too many bugs for me.
That's why God created Off.

Then again, I did have a millipede fall out of my hair in the shower after working in the garden all day this weekend. That was interesting.

robeiae
05-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Oh yeah, Jersey is great. Despite what people might say. :)
:roll:
Good one!

Serenity
05-28-2008, 04:11 AM
Uh... well... it doesn't completely suck here. How's that?

Jcomp
05-28-2008, 04:35 AM
I must admit, with SoCal as the frontrunner, Ray did a great sell of Pittsburgh, and the idea of moving to Toronto is just crazy enough to be intriguing.

Jersey Chick
05-28-2008, 04:38 AM
He's a 28-year-old single guy. Wrong advice!

I'm trying, for the love of all that is holy - but it's not easy making this place look good. Yep, I know I'm grasping here, but there's got to be some reason why people are still here...

Umm.... hmm.... lotsa single chicks picking fruit??

Nope - that's a lousy angle...

OH!!!! I know!! Manville NJ once held the Guiness World Record for most bars in a square mile. I think Bound Brook now has that title. NJ - we've got bars. Lots of them.

And strip clubs - we're freakin' lousy with strip clubs...

is that any better? ;)

Don Allen
05-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Chicago..... Beef sandwich's "forgetaboutit" FOOD! FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!!! ( Yes I'm motivated........... weather sucks..... Northside rocks, southside a tavern on every corner, Bears, Cubs, Sox, Bulls, Hawks..... The most crooked city government in the history of city governments.... It's actually something we brag about...#1 you know...
Women are SMOKIN'' and in the winter still wear nylons.... aaahhhhh, just thinking about it... You can pretty much get a job, if you want one... I like it here.....

Don Allen
05-28-2008, 04:49 AM
One more thing about Chi town...... You have to ASK for Ketchup if you want the disgusting stuff on your hotdog......

alleycat
05-28-2008, 04:51 AM

We don't need any more people. Half of Florida is already planning to move here.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 04:53 AM
I'm trying, for the love of all that is holy - but it's not easy making this place look good. Yep, I know I'm grasping here, but there's got to be some reason why people are still here...

Umm.... hmm.... lotsa single chicks picking fruit??

Nope - that's a lousy angle...

OH!!!! I know!! Manville NJ once held the Guiness World Record for most bars in a square mile. I think Bound Brook now has that title. NJ - we've got bars. Lots of them.

And strip clubs - we're freakin' lousy with strip clubs...

is that any better? ;)

I had to read the whole thing to get to the strip clubs? * sigh *

But. You had me at strip clubs.

Jersey Chick
05-28-2008, 04:58 AM
I knew I should've put that first.

Joycecwilliams
05-28-2008, 05:02 AM

Blueberries

Cranberries

Peaches

Ain't nothin better than a Jerze Tomato... except of course for Pork roll, Italian Hot Dogs, Marucca's Pizza, and Tastycakes.. :)

Haggis
05-28-2008, 05:49 AM
I must admit, with SoCal as the frontrunner, Ray did a great sell of Pittsburgh, and the idea of moving to Toronto is just crazy enough to be intriguing.

Hey, hey, hey. I forgot to mention Ann Arbor, where I live, a mere 40 miles from Detroit. University of Michigan. Think co-eds. Lots of them. About 45000 total enrollment. Imagine 50 % or so being nubile young women.Down the road a spell (12 miles) is Eastern Michigan University. 30,000 students, more than half female. Do your own math. :D

So, when can I expect you?

Carole
05-28-2008, 06:26 AM
We don't need any more people. Half of Florida is already planning to move here.

You do make a valid point!! :D

Carole
05-28-2008, 06:40 AM
You might be too late alleycat. Carole makes it look awfully nice.
That photo was taken about 13 miles from my house last weekend. It is nice here.

Oh wait - it's horrible here. (Sorry, Alleycat!)

Haggis
05-28-2008, 06:41 AM

Somehow, I don't think Jcomp is looking for trout streams.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 06:41 AM
That's also where Carole buried the bodies.

Just so you know.

KTC
05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/KTC43/IMG_0031.jpg

My son took this photo as we were driving into the city the other day for something. This is about 25 minutes from home.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/KTC43/116_1627.jpg

This one is the forest floor, about 2 minutes from home.

City/Country at the doorstep... best of both worlds.

Haggis
05-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Yo. Jcomp. A few Michigan athletes for you to think about.

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/photo/competitions/competition/michigan-wdmr-6x4_2259.jpg

Blondchen
05-28-2008, 07:05 AM

Call be urban (or urbane, I like that, too) but am I the only one who gets a little freaked out by wide open spaces that could, justifiably, be filled with flesh-eating mutant mountain people? Or have I just seen Wrong Turn once too many times (which, btw, would be ONCE).

This is the view in my neighborhood.

http://members.fortunecity.com/potus1/SIMPSON/bundyfront_sm.jpg

And before you ask, yes, that's where OJ didn't kills his wife and that poor waiter.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Battle of the cheerleaders? If that's what it takes.

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hines.jpg

Now, JComp, imagine yourself in the place of Steeler Hines Ward....

Blondchen
05-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Battle of the cheerleaders? If that's what it takes.

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hines.jpg

Now, JComp, imagine yourself in the place of Steeler Hines Ward....

C'mon. Palm trees in Pittsburgh? REALLY?

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
It's at Sandcastle!

SherryTex
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Maryland, not north enough to be cold, not south enough to be hospitable, east without being snooty, as it has an inferiority complex due to the romanticism of Virginia and power base of DC, no good food to speak of, save crab cakes...and I can think of better things to do with crabs....we got...traffic....crazy laws...high taxes...delusional leaders in local government...fun times...join us...

Blondchen
05-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Maryland, not north enough to be cold, not south enough to be hospitable, east without being snooty, as it has an inferiority complex due to the romanticism of Virginia and power base of DC, no good food to speak of, save crab cakes...and I can think of better things to do with crabs....we got...traffic....crazy laws...high taxes...delusional leaders in local government...fun times...join us...

Don't forget the strip malls and track housing.

I did grad school in College Park.

Haggis
05-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, if you're bringing in cheerleaders...

http://www.maxwaugh.com/images/mich02/girls.jpg

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.pittsburghblackandgoldcheerleaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/3chunky-love-pittsburgh-black-and-gold-cheerleaders-3sm.jpg

Ooops, wrong picture.

A.M. Wildman
05-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Yes, please take him and put him in a sound proof basement with no windows.

:roll: WOW! Sounds like a day in Chicago, except we use 9 mm.

Didn't Frankie sing that song... Chicago... It's a mob kind of town. ;)

Feed him at Gino's first though.

ChiTown has seasons too. Soak/air dry steam/broil chill/ damp and freeze

:D

jennifer75
05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey, hey, hey. I forgot to mention Ann Arbor, where I live, a mere 40 miles from Detroit. University of Michigan. Think co-eds. Lots of them. About 45000 total enrollment. Imagine 50 % or so being nubile young women.Down the road a spell (12 miles) is Eastern Michigan University. 30,000 students, more than half female. Do your own math. :D

So, when can I expect you?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You're not helping me!

WriterInChains
05-28-2008, 09:14 AM

*lol* Thanks MM! Couldn't have said it better -- is the Keep Portland Weird committee sending you money?

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
If hot women are what J is looking for, he should move to Venezuela.

EriRae
05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I can't sell you on my city. I just can't. Sorry. :( Take me with you wherever you go?

Yeshanu
05-28-2008, 06:15 PM

Very funny, Ray...

Our favourite summertime amusement up here is watching Americans lug around skis in 90 degree-plus weather. :D

SPMiller
05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
*lol* Thanks MM! Couldn't have said it better -- is the Keep Portland Weird committee sending you money?Copycats!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Austin_Weird

Jcomp
05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Copycats!

Meanwhile, our slogan...

http://www.single-serving.com/USA/TX/SanAntonio/keep-SA-lame.jpg

...so you understand then why I must move?

cray
05-28-2008, 06:41 PM
132 posts in this thread, jcomp....
have you decided yet?

WriterInChains
05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Copycats!

Yep, we're copycats covered in moss. Nobody should move here. :)

Haggis
05-28-2008, 06:55 PM
132 posts in this thread, jcomp....
have you decided yet?

Leave him alone, cray. He's still busy counting the co-eds in Ann Arbor.

SPMiller
05-28-2008, 06:59 PM
...so you understand then why I must move?Oh, I absolutely understand.

TrainofThought
05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Northside rocks, southside a tavern on every corner, Bears, Cubs, Sox, Bulls, Hawks..... The most crooked city government in the history of city governments.... It's actually something we brag about...#1 you know...
I knew there was something odd about you. :)

One more thing about Chi town...... You have to ASK for Ketchup if you want the disgusting stuff on your hotdog......'Tis True. One thing we agree on.

Didn't Frankie sing that song... Chicago... It's a mob kind of town. ;)

Feed him at Gino's first though.

ChiTown has seasons too. Soak/air dry steam/broil chill/ damp and freeze

:DThat song was dedicated to Chicago.

Jilley's is where the mob hangs out. I'll take jcomp there. :roll:

ChiTown has seasons too. Winter (this past one was the worst in years), Construction, Humid Summers.

cray
05-28-2008, 07:21 PM
is there a mod out there who would kindly ban anyone who doesn't put ketchup on hot dogs?

please. i never ask for anything around here,...
just this one thing would be nice.

TrainofThought
05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
is there a mod out there who would kindly ban anyone who doesn't put ketchup on hot dogs?

please. i never ask for anything around here,...
just this one thing would be nice.
Ketchup on hot dogs is like sex without an orgasm. You don't get to fully taste, enjoy and appreciate the hot dog. Iím sorry, Cray, but Iíll have to end our friendship. I canít be friends with anyone who has condimentitus, a condition that affects your sense of taste.

maestrowork
05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Did you hear that?

That's the sound of friendships ending over hot dogs and condiments and someone else not giving a flying eff.

p.s. you haven't lived until you have tasted hot dogs with mayo on them.

III
05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Meanwhile, our slogan...

http://www.single-serving.com/USA/TX/SanAntonio/keep-SA-lame.jpg

...so you understand then why I must move?

This might have to become my new avatar . . .

RLB
05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
ChiTown has seasons too. Winter (this past one was the worst in years), Construction, Humid Summers.

But spring is lovely (except for yesterday when I walked out of my building in a skirt and tank top because I'd just flown in from FL and hadn't checked the weather; I'm sure I was the talk of Michigan Ave). The boats are out, the dogs are frolicking, the park is green and the natives are smiling.

And you kind of forget how bad the winter was, how you didn't leave your apartment for weeks at a time except to forage for food, how you slipped and fell on a patch of ice and had a GIANT PURPLE UNSIGHTLY BRUISE FOR WEEKS...

And the food here... there are no words.

Yeah, move to Chicago.

Carole
05-29-2008, 05:02 AM
That's also where Carole buried the bodies.

Just so you know.

Boy, you just can't trust anyone with a secret any more.

Now I gotta go dig 'em up...

dahmnait
05-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Portland is nice, but you will need to tolerate lots of rain. The summers are wonderful, fall is full of color, and spring blooms are beautiful. But the months between October and June are cloudy and rainy.That's October of one year and June of the one after the next.

threedogpeople
05-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Vancouver Island is paradise.....

Spring

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/PtHardyspringflowers002.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/May06BeachWalk001.jpg

Summer

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/May06BeachWalk022.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/DSC01686.jpg

Fall

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/FallcolorbridgenearFannyBayInn026.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/FallcolorbridgenearFannyBayInn022.jpg

Winter

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/SnowStormWinter06014resized.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/threedogpeople/Winter2005-2006013.jpg

And, you can still rent a 2 bedroom, ocean view apartment for under $700 per month (washer/dryer, security system, etc.).

Wow!

jennifer75
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't believe I've noticed anybody else ask this....but, what line of business are you in? I would think that that would play a large role in your destination, right?

Jaycinth
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Maryland. Rockville specifically.

Excellent public transportation: I've been car-less for long periods of time, usually by semi choice, but it is so easy to get around I'm never bothered by it until Early November when it gets dark early ...and chilly.

Back to Transportation: From where I am , I can walk 1/2 mile and get on a train and go to NYC or FLA. Or I can hop a subway and go to Virginia or to the museums in downtown Washington DC.

Ed-u-mi-cashions: One of the best school systems in the country(Montgomery County)

Holidays: 3 hours from beach resorts, 2.5 hours from mountain resorts. A bike ride to National monuments and museums.

Employment: I-270 Technology Corridor...or you can subway into DC and be a lobbiest.

FUN: Preakness.

Ladies: Well... I think I'm hot, ... but I'm also starting to look for ways to explain '50'. However... the three ladies I work with are mucho hotties...and..well one of them is SMART with capital brains!

Green: Lots of parks. People joke around allergy season, that we live in the biggest deciduous(ACHOO!!!!!) forest on the planet.

AWer's: Well, there's me. Sherry Tex just lives up the road. Tsuki is an hour an a half by car..(Heyyyyy....she's cute and single and UNDER 40!) Wyntermoon, I believe is a subway ride away...and....hmmmmmm

....There are a lot of reasons for you to move here. Specifically, I need someone to go shoe shopping with me on Saturdays...and help hide the bodies on Sundays.

III
05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
ROCKVILLE!!!

Jcomp
05-29-2008, 10:50 PM
....There are a lot of reasons for you to move here. Specifically, I need someone to go shoe shopping with me on Saturdays...and help hide the bodies on Sundays.

I'm pretty useless at the former, but pretty good with the latter...

I'd consider Rockville just based on the name alone.

This thread turned out way better than I thought it would. You guys... you've got me all teary-eyed...

Right now, Ray has me pretty sold on Pittsburgh as a serious consideration, even though the name bugs me. Are there any cool nicknames for Pittsburgh?

KTC
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
CAN. A. DA.

Blondchen
05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
ROCKVILLE!!!

Rockville, MD - where people wait 2 hours for a table at...wait for it....wait for it....

THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY

Swear to God. I was horrified.

DL Hegel
05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Midwest hotter than heck in the summer--we get lots of tornadoes--bad storms--lots of idiots running around---:Shrug:i wanna move--where do you live?

what was i saying---Go AW:e2cheer:

Sarita
05-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Right now, Ray has me pretty sold on Pittsburgh as a serious consideration, even though the name bugs me. Are there any cool nicknames for Pittsburgh?
Ooo J! Come to The Burgh. It's loads of fun! :) And you can hang with Ray and I. You like movies?

Jcomp
05-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Ooo J! Come to The Burgh. It's loads of fun! :) And you can hang with Ray and I. You like movies?

I love movies. That's a pro.

Con: I also love the Dallas Cowboys. It's not quite like moving to Philly, but Cowboys - Steelers is still a bit of a rivalry. I grew up hating the Steelers for beating us in Super Bowls I wasn't even alive yet to see...

Jaycinth
05-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Rockville, MD - where people wait 2 hours for a table at...wait for it....wait for it....

THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY

Talk about HORRIFIED!!!!!

Wow!

I mean, like, who eats at the Cheesecake Factory? Even the Cheesecake isn't that good, and the rest of the food is really awful, fat laden.... Eeewwwwww.

There are much better places to eat, J. Uh... Samantha's, California Tortilla, Lebanese Taverna, Moby Dick, Saigonese, my place...heck...I even choose Jerry's Pizza over The big C.F.!!!!

OH: and in Rockville...
No tornados. No tidal waves. No earthquakes. No duststorms. Hurricanes are a welcome amusement...(try driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge during a hurricane...AWESOME) We actually pray for blizzards heavy enough to close work (See Sherry's location...'over acheivers', yeah, well we need a good excuse to cut work:D)

Um.... no asteroids, either. That movie was just bad press put out to make us look bad. Oh, Wait. DC flooded and not Rockville.

Cowboy Fans are welcome. We LOVE a good rivalry. You should see my neighbors and I during the games. Grillin and chillin....grillin and chillin....

Free concerts all over the place in summer. 2 years ago we had Blue Oyster Cult...

Oh...yeah...and III. I think he was born here...but I'm not his mom.

A.M. Wildman
05-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Talk about HORRIFIED!!!!!

Wow!

I mean, like, who eats at the Cheesecake Factory? Even the Cheesecake isn't that good, and the rest of the food is really awful, fat laden.... Eeewwwwww.

There are much better places to eat, J. Uh... Samantha's, California Tortilla, Lebanese Taverna, Moby Dick, Saigonese, my place...heck...I even choose Jerry's Pizza over The big C.F.!!!!

No tornados. No tidal waves. No earthquakes. No duststorms. Hurricanes are a welcome amusement...(try driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge during a hurricane...AWESOME) We actually pray for blizzards heavy enough to close work (See Sherry's location...'over acheivers', yeah, well we need a good excuse to cut work:D)

Um.... no asteroids, either. That movie was just bad press put out to make us look bad. Oh, Wait. DC flooded and not Rockville.

Free concerts all over the place in summer. 2 years ago we had Blue Oyster Cult...

Oh...yeah...and III. I think he was born here...but I'm not his mom.

But if you're bored and broke in Chicago you can always go to Union station and hang out with the pimps, hustlers, three card monte dealers and other assorted characters for entertainment.

Blondchen
05-30-2008, 12:44 AM

Except, apparently, when I lived in College Park, MD during which time we had:

1 ice storm
1 blizzard
1 hurricane
1 tornado (it actually touched down on campus and killed someone.)

I'll take my earthquakes any day, thank you very much.

maestrowork
05-30-2008, 12:47 AM
I
The name bugs me. Are there any cool nicknames for Pittsburgh?

Steel City. The 'Burgh. Iron City (even have a beer named after it). Golden Triangle. Three Rivers. City of Bridges/Bridge Capital. Cradle of Quarterbacks.

Come here and you'll have instant movie mates in Sara and me.

Plus Rolling Rock is a pretty good beer.

And I've known a few closet Cowboy fans in town. Just don't say anything. You'll survive. Or switch to hockey or baseball. No one will notice.

GO PENS!

Jcomp
05-30-2008, 01:10 AM
GO PENS!

You're so passionate about writing...

TerzaRima
05-30-2008, 01:45 AM

THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY

I can believe it. In my little town, people bunch up outside The Olive Garden--insert guttural retching noise of your choice here--like they're waiting for Wolfgang Puck to come out with a duck foie gras pizza. So gross.

Melisande
05-30-2008, 02:01 AM
I've talked about moving for a good 7 or 8 years now, but always found some excuse to stick around. But I'm determined to make this my last summer in San Antonio. It's not a bad little city, but I feel like a trapezoidal peg squeezed into a round hole here. Plus I've always hated the sticky heat, and I think my dream girl is somewhere else out there.

So... I need a destination. I took an online "test" a while back that determined that my ideal city is Portland, Oregon. I've looked into it, and it seems like a nice spot, but I'm not really convinced. That's why I need you to sell me on your locale (or tell me reasons why I should steer clear... like you'll be waiting at the airport with a shotgun if I show up, stuff like that). Give me the scoop!

Sorry, I wish I could sell this place to you, but all I want is to get out of this crummy town.

SherryTex
05-30-2008, 03:06 AM
Gaithersburg, home of all chains known to exist on the planet, with a no reservations policy strictly enforced at TGIF's and Applebees...

We live outside the power city of the US and we can't come up with our own food so good people would journey here to eat? When the best you got is Outback...or the more expensive, Ruth's Chris....it's a sad day for foodies....

Blondchen
05-30-2008, 03:08 AM
Gaithersburg, home of all chains known to exist on the planet, with a no reservations policy strictly enforced at TGIF's and Applebees...

We live outside the power city of the US and we can't come up with our own food so good people would journey here to eat? When the best you got is Outback...or the more expensive, Ruth's Chris....it's a sad day for foodies....

And I seriously almost died from lack of decent Mexican food. When Cactus Cantina is the epitome, there's a problem. My mom had to overnight mail me fresh tortillas. And decent sourdough bread. Couldn't find that either!

SherryTex
05-30-2008, 03:23 AM
Ay Jalisco and Guapos are pretty good for Mexican --I go to Saint Martin's, large contingent of hispanics, so go downstairs after 12 and get a home made empanada, also Two Amy's in DC --near Cactus Cantina --owned by some people we know --kids go to school together, is excellent pizza. --those are my two tips --but they're also always crowded.

Sarita
05-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Con: I also love the Dallas Cowboys. It's not quite like moving to Philly, but Cowboys - Steelers is still a bit of a rivalry. I grew up hating the Steelers for beating us in Super Bowls I wasn't even alive yet to see...I'm a Giants fan and Pennsylvania hasn't killed me yet!

maestrowork
05-30-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm a Giants fan and Pennsylvania hasn't killed me yet!

Grrrrr.

/* grinding teeth */

Jaycinth
05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Except, apparently, when I lived in College Park, MD during which time we had:

1 ice storm
1 blizzard
1 hurricane
1 tornado (it actually touched down on campus and killed someone.)

I'll take my earthquakes any day, thank you very much.

Ice storm:Good. It got me a paid day out of work. It was a little one. I remember one when I was visiting my cousins in NC...now...THAT was a freaking ice storm.

Blizzard: Most excellent weather phenom! My kids loved it. Got me a paid day out of work, and, in this metropolitan area it isn't like being on top of a mountain. I walked to the store and got stuff to make cookies.

Hurricane: Most excellent weather phenom! Really, you only remember ONE?!?!?! My friends and I sit around wishing for one to come on by. Like I said, during the last one I was on the middle of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. With the ozone cracking it really opens up the creative juices!

Tornado: College Park Maryland is in Prince Georges County. ROCKville is in Montgomery County.

Ay Jalisco and Guapos are pretty good for Mexican --I go to Saint Martin's, large contingent of hispanics, so go downstairs after 12 and get a home made empanada, also Two Amy's in DC --near Cactus Cantina --owned by some people we know --kids go to school together, is excellent pizza. --those are my two tips --but they're also always crowded.

Ahhhhh Guapos!!! and I mentioned Samantha's. It is on University Boulevard at New Hampshire Ave. Owned by my former neighbors. Most EXCELLENT hispanic food. El-Salvadorean/Southwestern, actually.

I think our dear Blondchen was subjected to the wrong part of Maryland. That is sad, sister Sherry...just....***hold me*** :cry: sad.

Plus Rolling Rock is a pretty good beer.

And I've known a few closet Cowboy fans in town. Just don't say anything. You'll survive.

I will not argue with the Rolling Rock. I like beer. Right now I'm into Fish Eye...which is a wine.

But, in Rockville, rivalry is an art to be celebrated. So we welcome Cowboys fans so we have someone to celebrate.

.....of course...some of us (III) celebrate Cowboys wins by tossing dead mice on our neighbor's lawns, and... uh.......but....

TrainofThought
05-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Maryland. Rockville specifically.
Seriously? Once a year I go to Rockville, Maryland, and on the way to the airport I sing, "Don't go back to Rockville, don't go back to Rockville, don't go back to Rockville, And waste another year" by REM. Just kidding. It's pretty.

TsukiRyoko
05-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Pittsburgh is pretty cool. It's the only place in my life where I've sat down, asked for a steady supply Guinness, and didn't have them ask me for the ID that I *ahem* just so happened to forget in my other jacket. I like Pittsburgh quite a bit (some good food joints, too). Careful though, it's easy to get lost in a car. My boyfriend and I had an easier time making it back to the hotel when we were walking, plastered, and forgot where we were going then we did to drive up a few streets over to the aviary.

I would say "come to my great hometown of Wheeling!" but....there's nothing here. There's a civic center... and a handful of okay food places that are spread more than a few miles apart... there's a lot of crazy homeless people and bus stops that smell like pee... there's a lot of empty buildings where other business used to be... there's the shitty tunnel and the even shittier tunnel (they just spent two years fixing the tunnel, and now the "remodeled" one looks worse than the old one! There's been MANY reports of tiles breaking windshields and smashing cars)... OH! The rent's ridiculously cheap- you can find places for less than 400 a month sometimes.... And I'm here too. And that, good friend, is all there is in Bumf*ck Wheeling.

Jaycinth
05-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Pittsburgh is pretty cool. It's the only place in my life where I've sat down, asked for a steady supply Guinness, and didn't have them ask me for the ID that I *ahem* just so happened to forget in my other jacket. I like Pittsburgh quite a bit (some good food joints, too). Careful though, it's easy to get lost in a car. My boyfriend and I had an easier time making it back to the hotel when we were walking, plastered, and forgot where we were going then we did to drive up a few streets over to the aviary.

I would say "come to my great hometown of Wheeling!" but....there's nothing here. There's a civic center... and a handful of okay food places that are spread more than a few miles apart... there's a lot of crazy homeless people and bus stops that smell like pee... there's a lot of empty buildings where other business used to be... there's the shitty tunnel and the even shittier tunnel (they just spent two years fixing the tunnel, and now the "remodeled" one looks worse than the old one! There's been MANY reports of tiles breaking windshields and smashing cars)... OH! The rent's ridiculously cheap- you can find places for less than 400 a month sometimes.... And I'm here too. And that, good friend, is all there is in Bumf*ck Wheeling.

Ok..Awer's..

how many of us can get to Wheeling WVA on noon, July 4, 2009?

Good.

I'll want you to wear costumes........

maestrowork
05-31-2008, 05:28 AM

It's definitely easy to get lost driving in town. The Burgers don't believe in street signs. They remember roads by landmarks: Turn right at the Arbys, then turn left at the O's, then make a sharp left at the museum, park in the alley next to Hemingway's.

Downtown is pretty much a walking city. Bossa Nova (http://www.bossanovapgh.com/) is my favorite joint - happy hours, tapas, live performances. There's a New York vibe to that place. Lots of cool and ethnic places to eat in and around town. I just discovered a new pan-Asian place near the other Asian tapas place on Forbes. YUM!

TsukiRyoko
05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
It's definitely easy to get lost driving in town. The Burgers don't believe in street signs. They remember roads by landmarks: Turn right at the Arbys, then turn left at the O's, then make a sharp left at the museum, park in the alley next to Hemingway's.

Downtown is pretty much a walking city. Bossa Nova (http://www.bossanovapgh.com/) is my favorite joint - happy hours, tapas, live performances. There's a New York vibe to that place. Lots of cool and ethnic places to eat in and around town. I just discovered a new pan-Asian place near the other Asian tapas place on Forbes. YUM!
It was much easier to walk in downtown than it was to drive. The prices aren't too bad either. Looks are misleading in Pittsburgh- we went to some pretty fancy looking places, and nothing cost nearly as much as I thought it would. I was very impressed with the prices.

Bossa Nova? What's it by? I hope it's not like the Zao Cafe. That place is scary! My boyfriend and I went in there because we were cold, the lady came up and kept badgering us for our coats until we finally gave them to her, and they wouldn't give us a menu, they just wanted us to order as though we were there every day and weren't worried about money. We thought two cups of coffee would cost a fortune (the walls were cushioned! The walls! WHo does that unless they are way too rich?), we were being held prisoners without out coats/wallets/anything at all ("You get coats AFTER you eat! Eat more! Eat more!"), and we ran from that place as far as we could.....

maestrowork
05-31-2008, 02:42 PM
HAHA, now I must go to Zao Cafe and check it out. No Bossa Nova is on 7th Street, in the Cultural District. It's a hip lounge/restaurant/event place.

Liam Jackson
05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Sell you on...???
Hell, I'll give the friggin' city. And by the next morning you'll pay me to take it back.

TsukiRyoko
06-01-2008, 08:40 AM
HAHA, now I must go to Zao Cafe and check it out. No Bossa Nova is on 7th Street, in the Cultural District. It's a hip lounge/restaurant/event place.
I'll check out Bossa Nova next time my bf and I go to Pittsburgh. It looks likes a pretty nice place!

If you go to Cafe Zao, be sure to get the pretty lady with the French accent. "May I take ze coat? Ze coat, please. Please, sir, ze coat! *tugs at sleeve* You sit here, I take ze coats to ze back- want coffee? Yes, you want coffee- COFFEE PLEASE!"

I don't remember what street it was on, but I do remember that was somewhere between Springhill Suites and Wood St. I doubt that will help :D

maestrowork
06-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Between Springhill Suites and Wood St. is the river! :) I'm sure I know where it is. It's near the PNC Park, right?

ETA: just googled it, it's on 7th and Penn. Actually just one block from Bossa Nova.

jennifer75
06-04-2008, 10:36 PM
so, Jcomp.....what's the verdict?

Jcomp
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
so, Jcomp.....what's the verdict?

You know, I would've NEVER guessed this when I started the thread, but Pittsburgh seems pretty appealing right now. Who would've thought?

Kitrianna
06-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Ick! Steel plants suck...nothing personal against Pittsburgh. I used to live outside of Hamilton, Ontario and ended up sick the entire time I lived there because of the pollution from the smoke stacks. Just something to think about.

maestrowork
06-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Ick! Steel plants suck...nothing personal against Pittsburgh. I used to live outside of Hamilton, Ontario and ended up sick the entire time I lived there because of the pollution from the smoke stacks. Just something to think about.

Where have you been? Steel plants have disappeared since the 70s and 80s.

See, that's the kind of misconceptions about the city I'm really impatient with. OK, so it's not New York or Los Angeles or Chicago, but it's no dump. It's a clean, beautiful, vibrant city that has ranked among the top 10 most livable cities in the past 25 years, every year. If you want proof, visit www.pittsburghskyline.com.

Another plus: housing is still relatively inexpensive. A 4BR house costs under $200K and UPSCALE downtown lofts can be had for about $250K.

Hey, J, if you ever do decide to move to the 'Burgh, let me know. We should hang out.

If you move to Jersey, good luck. ;)

James81
06-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I've been to Pittsburg a time or two.

Place seemed kinda dirty to me. :tongue

Tink
06-05-2008, 12:08 AM
If it was legal, I'd sell you my city.

Chumplet
06-05-2008, 06:00 AM
My brother lived in Pittsburgh for six years. He's in Buffalo now. I can't sell my state because I'm in a province, but we have the nicer Niagara Falls in Ontario. Plus, the CN Tower, the Haliburton Highlands, Hudson Bay and thousands of miles of canoeing.

Kthrok
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Chumplet you forgot the miles and miles of snowmobile trails!!! ok winter is cold...but it good for ya! and dont forget we have our big *cough*selling point*cough* still... national health care :P