Does anyone else remember this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
About 20 years ago, when I was 7, I had an awesome book. It was a bunch of poems and (I think) some stories. The book was white, and had the Pied Piper on the cover. It had a poem about a walrus and a carpenter. The one I remember best went something like this:
Matilda told such dreadful lies
It made one gasp and stretch ones eyes
then something about an Aunt who had a strict regard for truth, then
And when she cried fire! fire!
They only answered little liar
then ended with
...Aunt returned
Matilda and the house were burned.

Not much to go on, I know, but I would love to get a copy of that book.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi DJP,

The Walrus and the Carpenter is from Alice Through the Looking Glass (Alice in Wonderland), Dweedledee and Dweedledumb recite it to Alice. I don't know the book your talking abou though.

Wish I could help more,
Chacounne

Ace

Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost sure I know what you're talking about. I had a yellow version when I was younger. My mother had the book when she was.

"Illustrated Treasury of Children's Literature"

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hilaire Belloc, the author of the "Matilda lies..." poem had several children's poetry books published. I may be slightly off on the titles, but two of the more well-known works are The Red Fox Poetry Book, and the Kingfishers Book of Children's Poetry.

Hope this helps.
LJ

Last edited:

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Great Book Finding Site

If anyone is looking for a book, and cannot remember title/author, you should visit this site immediately:
www.abebooks.com
Go to the US based Booksleuth site and post a query there. Make sure you include as much detail as possible, both in the title of the query and the body of the post (and DO NOT title the query 'Looking For Book', it drives everyone mad). The guys on this site are amazing - they can and will find almost anything for you, and they do it all free, from the goodness of their (anal retentive) little hearts. Be succinct and polite, and you may make some friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.