My doggie is in love!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It's the cutest thing ever. Her name is Nora, she's a boxer, and she lives about 4 houses down from us. We have an access road running along the back gardens and that is where they meet. I first noticed her about a week ago when, just as I was putting stuff into my car, she ran up and almost jumped into the car; she was greeting him, who was in the boot. Then she was kind of roaming around and I didn't know who she belonged to.

A few days later we saw her again and the two dogs began to play. Her owner appeared and we had a chat; she is in heat, so of course that's a motivation, but not the only one--he just loves other dogs anyway, male or female, and loves to play. He is 8 years old but more like a 2 year old in terms of playfulness and energy. He is a collie/husky/German Shepherd/Terrier mix, and every time we go out there is always SOMEONE who stops to admire him and ask what breed he is. And he's really affectionate as well.

Anyway, after that they began visiting each other. The moment he leaves the house he dashes off to stand behind her back door, and sometimes she comes up our back stairs (we live on the top floor of our house) to meet him. Or stands at the bottom, looking up.

Sometimes I meet her owner taking her for a walk and we go to the park together, where they have a great time running and playing. Sometimes he tries to mount her, but we break it up. No puppies, please!

But yesterday it was so sweet. They hadn't met all day, so he kept jumping up to look out the window. And then he saw her, walking past the garage with her owner! He began to bark wildly, but she didn't hear and didn't see him. Oh, he went crazy! Leaping at the window and the door to get out, and after that he spent an hour just howling. I have NEVER heard him howl before, a really long, mournful, sound.

However, neighbours downstairs tells us he sometimes howls when he is alone at home. They say he howls for hours sometimes if we are not there. so howling is his language for missing someone... in this case, Nora!

It is just so cute!

The good thing is that he is going to live with her for a while in August, when we are on holiday. I needed someone to take him and so I just asked her owner and he said yes!

By coincidence, they are both bilingual, both born in Germany.

Last edited:

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cute story. Amazing dogs. My two goldens were born in the U.S. I'm not going to try to teach them a second language, they won't speak English.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This morning he was again all crazy, barking to get out, and now he has started howling again! Like I said, I have never, ever heard him howl before.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I really believe dogs have affection for one another, and I believe they either have it or they don't... Great story..

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Usually, once he has had his morning walk, he just lies quietly in the kitchen and waits for his afternoon walk. Now, every time I go in the kitchen, he jumps up in excitement, whines, runs to the back door, then turns and looks at me with big brown eyes, pleading with me to let him go out! I took him down for a few minutes but we didn't see her. He ran down to her door, peed in a few places near by, and reluctantly came back. He keeps coming to look for me, though he is not allowed in the house (due to long hair).