• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

The Ultimate in Real-Life Steampunk: The Difference Engine!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
No, not the SF novel of that title, but an actual difference engine designed by Charles Babbage over 150 years ago was completed in 1991 by the London Museum of Science under the direction of Babbage expert and its then-Computer-curator Doron Swade. More recently, former Microsoft CTO Nathan Myhrvold decided he wanted one, so he spent a million dollars having a second one made. It has recently arrived at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA, and will be on public display for the next year, then will go into Myhrvold's private collection.

I was just reading a Usenet thread on the device and its display, and others posted several video links of this thing in operation. If you can't go visit to see this (or the one in London) in person, these links are the next best thing:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/05/exclusive-video.html (about 4 minutes, Doron Swade gets technical)
http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50002106.html (about 4 minutes, short interviews with Myhrvold and Swade on this new one now on display)

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
Nice work. And the next step might be to build an imitation of Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine, something likely much more difficult -- a mechanical stored-program computer.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I remember this announcement. I still need to go. I mean, hell, I live here.

(Sunnyvale, specifically, but close enough.)