PDA

View Full Version : It's Always Something!

Jersey Chick
05-27-2008, 05:23 AM
This is why nothing surprises me any more -

Back in March, my daughter's hamster, Princess, died. About a week later, she started bugging me for a new one. Okay - we go to the pet store and absolutely fall in love with these gerbils - they were hysterical to watch and young, so we figured they'd be with us a long time (we had Princess about 6 months when she died.)

Well, we couldn't decide between two brothers, so we bought them both. Tiger and Eddie. Riots to watch.

So, we go away for the weekend - and guess what we come home to?

Three gerbils.

Yep - three. Apparently Eddie is actually an Edwina, or else we have one really weird male gerbil.

So, we'll see what happens with the baby - but now I've got to go out tomorrow and buy another tank, before we're up to our eyes in gerbils...

**sigh** It's always something, innit?? :D

C.bronco
05-27-2008, 05:28 AM
You'd better separate them. Gerbils tend to eat their young.

Joycecwilliams
05-27-2008, 06:24 AM
This is why nothing surprises me any more -

Back in March, my daughter's hamster, Princess, died. About a week later, she started bugging me for a new one. Okay - we go to the pet store and absolutely fall in love with these gerbils - they were hysterical to watch and young, so we figured they'd be with us a long time (we had Princess about 6 months when she died.)

Well, we couldn't decide between two brothers, so we bought them both. Tiger and Eddie. Riots to watch.

So, we go away for the weekend - and guess what we come home to?

Three gerbils.

Yep - three. Apparently Eddie is actually an Edwina, or else we have one really weird male gerbil.

So, we'll see what happens with the baby - but now I've got to go out tomorrow and buy another tank, before we're up to our eyes in gerbils...

**sigh** It's always something, innit?? :D

Maybe they knew you were going away and invited a friend over.. :)

At least they had just one... It could have been worse.

Cheer up... you can sell it back to the pet store...

I think I am overly optimistic today..

choppersmom
05-27-2008, 06:30 AM
LOL.

Sending PM on how to sex gerbils, so you can avoid this very situation in the future.

BenPanced
05-27-2008, 07:01 AM
It's easy: light some scented candles, turn down the lights, and put Barry White on "repeat" on the CD player. There. Your gerbils will be sexin' in no time at all.

Joycecwilliams
05-27-2008, 07:03 AM
It's easy: light some scented candles, turn down the lights, and put Barry White on "repeat" on the CD player. There. Your gerbils will be sexin' in no time at all.

Oh... I thought gerbils liked Al Green... :)

Jersey Chick
05-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Well, so far, Eddie seems to be taking care of the baby. I've been using my Google-fu to figure out how I can help. And now, I'll be going to the pet store tomorrow to buy a second tank...

Oy. :D

maestrowork
05-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Gerbils should be easier to sex than hamsters. The males have, um, more prominent organs. Hamsters are extremely difficult to sex, especially when they're young but still sexually mature.

Good luck.

Susie
05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Aww, congrats. A bundle of joy. Hope this one's a boy. :D (That rhymes!)