"Jerusalem Syndrome" strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3547246,00.html

The claim tis new "syndrome" caused this person to jump off of a building. Apparently this isn't the first time this so-called "syndrome" has afflicted someone.

I'm going to go earn a degree in psychology so I can start making us syndromes for every random thing I can come up with.

I'm sorry but this sort of stupidly is only going to lessen the credibility or real psychology and legitimate syndromes. Be prepared people, "Peanut Induced Suicide Syndrome" or "PISS" is coming next.

Somewhere, Scientologists are grinning.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a "new" syndrome. It's been documented for centuries and while I'm sure it actually has a more scientific name, Jerusalem syndrome sounds way more interesting. Ive read about this before. I don't think it lessens real psychology at all. Just because you find it non-credible doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I find phobias of snakes ridiculous but it's real none the less.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a "new" syndrome. It's been documented for centuries and while I'm sure it actually has a more scientific name, Jerusalem syndrome sounds way more interesting. Ive read about this before. I don't think it lessens real psychology at all. Just because you find it non-credible doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I find phobias of snakes ridiculous but it's real none the less.

But by that logic, ANYTHING can generate a syndrome. And calling something like this a syndrome and is foolish. Down's Syndrome is a far more serious and wide-spread affliction. The problem with things like Jerusalem Syndrome is there is little in the way of clinical trials to validate that visiting the holy land actually caused this problem. It could have been a deep-seated manic depression that was simply triggered by the visit. Therefor if the visit triggered it, something else could to.

By saying "oh it's Jerusalem Syndrome we could be ignoring a more serious issue. There could be other factors and that's why this idea of "slap a Syndrome name on it and move on" is dangerous. Yes it could be a real syndrome, but there's an equal chance it isn't one. They've got no way of knowing for sure given what they know about this person who jumped off of the building. Hell he could have been suicidal due to countless other things. If this is an actual ailment, they need to focus on proving it exists, not speculating about one person's actions and slapping a title on them. It sounds as though his "diagnosis" wasn't based on very much other than speculation.

Making assumptions is dangerous.

An excerpt:

“This psychotic state is brought on by visits to Jerusalem or the Galilee. It induces a state of religious ecstasy which overcomes the tourists. They feel euphoric at being surrounded by so many holy sites," explained Dr. Abu Nasser.

Really doctor,can you back this up with some clinical test data? Can you show us how you got to that conclusion? There's an "ology" at the end of psychology for a reason. Its a SCIENCE. Science requires data. I've been to many holy sites and can verify that yes, they can give one an eerie feeling of euphoria, but that's possibly all in the mind. Down's Syndrome on the other hand, is not, it's a real clinically-proven ailment, not just a state of mind. Diseases don't target specific religions. But this so-called syndrome only afflicts Christians. Why is that? If being a certain faith makes one more susceptible to ailments, I think I might become an atheist.

The problem here isn't the syndrome itself, it's the willingness to just slap a title on any ailment without studying the real causes.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
But by that logic, ANYTHING can generate a syndrome.
People are cognitively complex. Many things can.

And calling something like this a syndrome and is foolish. Down's Syndrome is a far more serious and wide-spread affliction.
What does this have to do with it? A syndrome is "[SIZE=-1]A set of symptoms or conditions that occur together and suggest the presence of a certain disease or an increased chance of developing the disease.[/SIZE]"
It has nothing to do with how widespread it is. I do agree that slapping a name on it and looking no further is foolish, but there is no indication at all that that's happening here. It's widely documented, the messianic complex aspect of it is certainly not simple suicidal tendencies, and it's been documented for years.

Psychological syndromes are states of mind, often triggered by environmental conditions. Are you going to say PTSD isn't real next? That's "all in the mind" and triggered by complex and varied environmental cues too, and it's also a case where neurotypical people can have mild but similar reactions.

Making assumptions is dangerous.
I agree.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Jerusalem Syndrome (or anything else medical for that matter), but a lot of new syndromes are named by the marketing departments and advertising agencies. It's quite a big deal from what I've heard to come up with a catchy new phrase for a new syndrome in order to promote a new drug. Because it's called a syndrome and not a disease there's a lot less problem with the FDA. I tend to look askew at any new syndrome that's in a TV drug commercial.

Just my 2-cent comment.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So... does anybody want to claim dibs on the novel "Jerusalem Syndrome"? I'd take it, but that sounds like it might require a healthy dose of research, and I'm mired in research for my current WIP as it is...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Jerusalem Syndrome is probably pretty selective, as most people who opt for a religious tour of the Holy Land already do it out of a hope to become spiritually closer to God. Add in that some of those people, even very few, might be mentally unstable, and you have a trigger for psychosis.

It's not like any of us going to Jerusalem will be instantly overcome...except maybe Haskins.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So... does anybody want to claim dibs on the novel "Jerusalem Syndrome"? I'd take it, but that sounds like it might require a healthy dose of research, and I'm mired in research for my current WIP as it is...
Oh! Damn good idea.

Go for it.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I read a book, couldn't tell you by whom, some big guy, about a man who supposedly is a clone? or a genetic copy of Jesus and he goes to Jerusalem and experiences Jerusalem Syndrome only the author doesn't call it that but now I see the connection. I don't remember thinking it was a great book. I think it disappointed me.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope Dan Brown is not reading this thread.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
It's not like any of us going to Jerusalem will be instantly overcome...except maybe Haskins.

not sure what this is supposed to mean, but i am an atheist and my interests in jeruselum wouldn't extend beyond cultural and geopolitical ones.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
People are cognitively complex. Many things can.

What does this have to do with it? A syndrome is "[SIZE=-1]A set of symptoms or conditions that occur together and suggest the presence of a certain disease or an increased chance of developing the disease.[/SIZE]"
It has nothing to do with how widespread it is. I do agree that slapping a name on it and looking no further is foolish, but there is no indication at all that that's happening here. It's widely documented, the messianic complex aspect of it is certainly not simple suicidal tendencies, and it's been documented for years.

Psychological syndromes are states of mind, often triggered by environmental conditions. Are you going to say PTSD isn't real next? That's "all in the mind" and triggered by complex and varied environmental cues too, and it's also a case where neurotypical people can have mild but similar reactions.

I agree.

That's correct but it's the impression the psychological community gives that is an issue. I've always found it odd, because if another kind of doctor, say, a neuro-surgeon, wants to identify a new brain disease, he/she has to show volumes of evidence and medical studies to back it up. But a psychologist can simply say "ok, this is a syndrome." and that's it.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
not sure what this is supposed to mean, but i am an atheist and my interests in jeruselum wouldn't extend beyond cultural and geopolitical ones.
What about artichokes?

Maybe this 'Jerusalem Syndrome' is related to the mysterious 'River in Egypt' Syndrome. Lemme check urbandictionary.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it just seems probable to me that a small percentage of people drawn to a religious area are drawn out of a deep devotion, and can feel the effects of the affirmation they seek so acutely as to lose all sense of the reality in which they live.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Fenway Park.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Is there really a reason to argue nomenclature for psychological disorders? C'mon already--it's a NAME.

Does this argument mean that the Stockholm Syndrome is also BS? After all, it's a disorder where the imprisoned start to identify with their captors--like Patty Hearst, for example. And the Munich Syndrome? That seems to me to be a good explanation for the socio-political world--where aggression appeased becomes aggression repeated...

I don't believe it's helpful to dismiss something called a syndrome just because of its name. JMO, of course...

*runs off to all the threads about foreign policy with a new bit of terminology*

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've always found it odd, because if another kind of doctor, say, a neuro-surgeon, wants to identify a new brain disease, he/she has to show volumes of evidence and medical studies to back it up. But a psychologist can simply say "ok, this is a syndrome." and that's it.
In my experience of the psychology/neuroscience community:

a) A psychologist can probably do that, but the community isn't going to listen unless they have evidence. Medical studies are harder, yes, when you can't find the neural correlate of the problem. But they tend to have multiple case studies.

and b) Neuroscientists have been known to get the issue seriously wrong because they thought a simple neural correlate explained everything. Like with Broca's Aphasia, which turns out to have no link to Broca's Area, but to a pathway close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.