They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
..in say the 1500's

If there was a small puncture ( not life threatening but enough so there was some blood on the lips and impaired function) what would have been the treatment ( if any different from now. I've tried to look, --for a small one there doesn't seem to be much treatment) and what would be the recovery time?

Any ideas?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not having had the pleasure myself, but a friend of mine ....

oh, wait. That was a collapsed lung. (He continued playing the trumpet through the rest of the concert before going to the doctor to find out what he had...)

I'm not sure about a punctured lung. That's usually pretty bad, isn't it? It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd just "get better" from...

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm not sure about a punctured lung. That's usually pretty bad, isn't it? It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd just "get better" from..

Well I've had cracked ribs and they just send you home. I've not known anyone with a punctured lung to ask, although if it's small ( what I'm after) they apparantly just x-ray you a lot and keep an eye on you. I just want to know if that's true, and how long till you can do stuff.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It rather depends on where you are. At that time the best medics were probably in the Ottoman Empire or China.

In England: "Leeches, Lord Blackadder"

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
A punctured lung that would give blood on the lips would cause the lung to collapse (pneumothorax). The treatement of this is a chest tube (tube thoracostomy) to suck the air from the space between the lung and the chest wall (pleural space), restoring the normal negative pressure there and re-expanding the lung. They couldn't do this in the 1500s. Still, lung collapse, depending upon the circumstances, was a survivable injury, although a pretty serious one. If that's your scenario, it would make the person quite short of breath and probably a bit blue around the lips at least.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
..in say the 1500's

If there was a small puncture ( not life threatening but enough so there was some blood on the lips and impaired function) what would have been the treatment ( if any different from now. I've tried to look, --for a small one there doesn't seem to be much treatment) and what would be the recovery time?

Any ideas?

Straight from the medieval first aid manual ... wash the wound with wine and olive oil or turpentine (antibacterial phenolic compounds), cover the wound with an occlusive dressing (something to stop air leaks, often a linen patch with a wax and herb mix smeared on it - a plaster) and keep them inactive while it heals. You can administer some herbs: oregano, thyme, basil, and barberry were all used. Their aromatic antibacterial compounds are excreted into the lungs - helps prevent infeciton.

Recovery time is a couple of weeks - you need good scar tissue so they don't pop a leak. It can be longer if your plot needs it - they will hurt and be short of breath until any air is reabsorbed, muscled heal.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Tsu, that is exactly what I was after, have a free hug.

pophugbyzappe1ak.gif

wickeddj

Wicked is as wicked does
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the nifty crackly feeling to the skin right around the hole, like rice crispies, called subcutaneous emphysema (in case you want to research the term, though it obviously wasn't around at the time) caused by air trapped under the skin.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Thanks. Yuk.

Just one thing I suddenly thought of though.

cover the wound with an occlusive dressing (something to stop air leaks, often a linen patch with a wax and herb mix smeared on it - a plaster)

What if there is no external hole -- the broken rib has punctured the lung, not the skin. Would the treatment be any different? ( and I assume no rice crispies either).

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
You can still get the sub-q air w/out a skin puncture. The air came from the lungs, not the external environmental air beside the chest.

A completely occusive dressing can help the vic develop a tension pneumo, which will kill him. Stick it down on three of the four sides, so air can evac from the pleural space and the lung can re-inflate.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Yuk.
Just one thing I suddenly thought of though.

What if there is no external hole -- the broken rib has punctured the lung, not the skin. Would the treatment be any different? ( and I assume no rice crispies either).

If there was no external hole, it would be bandages to immobilize the ribs for comfort, and bed rest. There were herbs for "breathing easier", the same aromatics as listed above.

These injuries were really common: get kicked by a horse, gored/butted by an ox, whacked with a club or sword ... they led a rough life.

Murmel -
I have medical texts all the way back to Celsus, and they are extremely close to current practices if you disregard the changes in materials available. Celcus describes a method of splinting a broken arm that doesn't vary from what I do every winter. The French army surgeon, Ambrois Pare, was treating open fractures, skull fractures, sucking chest wounds, and other nasties with an astounding survival rate.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
If there's no puncture, we're talking about blunt force trauma (i.e. kicked by horse instead of being cut by a sword). The ribs are very good at doing their job, i.e. protecting the heart and lungs since they are somewhat flexible.

It sounds like your character is hit/kicked by something hard enough to actually break the rib *and* drive the broken ends into the lung. That's going to be quite serious with more symptoms than just 'blood around the mouth' and 'shortness of breath'.

If that's all your character needs, I would think about having him be hit hard enough to bruise the chest badly/crack a rib (hurts to breath, shortness of breath) and hit his face/bite his tongue as he falls down (blood around mouth).

This also has the advantage that he could force himself to breath deeply (in order to run from bull or whatever). Of course, breathing deeply would hurt like the devil but he could do it if necessary

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
If there was no external hole, it would be bandages to immobilize the ribs for comfort, and bed rest. There were herbs for "breathing easier", the same aromatics as listed above.
Thanks.

If there's no puncture, we're talking about blunt force trauma (i.e. kicked by horse instead of being cut by a sword). The ribs are very good at doing their job, i.e. protecting the heart and lungs since they are somewhat flexible.

It sounds like your character is hit/kicked by something hard enough to actually break the rib *and* drive the broken ends into the lung. That's going to be quite serious with more symptoms than just 'blood around the mouth' and 'shortness of breath'.
Yup, and bugger. :)

If that's all your character needs, I would think about having him be hit hard enough to bruise the chest badly/crack a rib (hurts to breath, shortness of breath) and hit his face/bite his tongue as he falls down (blood around mouth).
ooh, good. That'll do. They can use the hobnail boots to kick his ribs and then his face.

This also has the advantage that he could force himself to breath deeply (in order to run from bull or whatever). Of course, breathing deeply would hurt like the devil but he could do it if necessary

Exactly what I needed! Excellent. You are evil and I love you.

Mind you, he's gonna get the punctured lung right at the end ( another whack to the same spot on the weakened ribs and pop!), when I need him seriously screwed with.

Thank you all.