I'm not sure they even read it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a piece via e-mail and was rejected within ten minutes. Given, it was flash fiction -- they could have read it. But on their website they talk about all the unread submissions they have sitting around and this and that. Have you ever known a literary journal so on top of things as to read stuff just as it comes in? I'm not entirely convinced they even read it.....

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Been there.

Back when I was actively doing comics, we had an idea for a six-issue 48 page mini-series. Bernie Wrightson, who was going to be in it, suggested that I pitch it to a specific company (which no longer exists) and said to mention that he specifically had told me to do so.

I sent in a rather detailed pitch, showing the concept, some of the characters, the list of all the artists/writers who were going to be in it, etc, along with a few samples of the art, etc.

I got back a rejection, stating that they didn't need a four issue, 96 page mini-series that they'd have to charge $10 an issue to break even with. (huh?)

When Bernie called his friend (who was the publisher) and asked him about this, the publisher had never even see it (although it was addressed directly to him). Of course, by that time, interest in the project was dying out and we wound up shelving it completely. Apparently some "staffer" had intercepted the pitch and the rest, shall we say, was history.

Sigh.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Silver lining

zeprosnepsid said:
I sent out a piece via e-mail and was rejected within ten minutes. Given, it was flash fiction -- they could have read it. But on their website they talk about all the unread submissions they have sitting around and this and that. Have you ever known a literary journal so on top of things as to read stuff just as it comes in? I'm not entirely convinced they even read it.....
Look on the bright side, zeprosnepsid: at least you don't have to wait months for the rejection...

:Shrug:

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
dragonjax said:
Look on the bright side, zeprosnepsid: at least you don't have to wait months for the rejection...

Yup, no waiting six months for a rejection and no getting ignored. I'd take that over the other options any day.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I've sent out a lot of stuff recently and I've been getting all my rejections within a week or two. I've started to wonder -- what ever happen to 6 weeks? Because getting them every single day is starting to take a toll. I'd rather get them more spaced out!

But I suppose you are right, at least I'm not left wondering. Well, time to send it somewhere else, eh?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
zeprosnepsid said:
Have you ever known a literary journal so on top of things as to read stuff just as it comes in? I'm not entirely convinced they even read it.....

I've occasionally read stuff as soon as it comes in for my magazine, if I happen to be at the computer when it comes in. That doesn't mean I still don't have piles of other stuff I haven't read yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.