PDA

View Full Version : I have two vanilla beans

Haggis
05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
A friend bought them for me. They are not your normal grocery store dry, stringy, flavorless, overpriced vanilla bean. These are plump, moist and with an aroma you would kill for.

I have two questions:

1. I know what I'm going to do with one of them. Ice cream. Probably next weekend. What kind of ice cream should I make?

2. What should I do with the other bean? Please be nice. :D

Sarita
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM
You should make extract. Get thee to your liquor cabinet. I *know* you have vodka in there. Split the bean, sealed container, vodka, 30 days. Yum. :)

And for the ice cream? I'd go with like Vanilla Pecan, or maybe vanilla fudge swirl... mmmm, ice cream.

CatSlave
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
A friend bought them for me. They are not your normal grocery store dry, stringy, flavorless, overpriced vanilla bean. These are plump, moist and with an aroma you would kill for.

I have two questions:

1. I know what I'm going to do with one of them. Ice cream. Probably next weekend. What kind of ice cream should I make?

Ice cream: Something tropical, with mango, coconut milk, pineapple, banana or such.

Put one of them in a small container of brandy -or better yet, cognac- and let it infuse.
Use instead of regular vanilla extract.

Haggis
05-26-2008, 09:25 PM
You should make extract. Get thee to your liquor cabinet. I *know* you have vodka in there. Split the bean, sealed container, vodka, 30 days. Yum. :)

Excellent idea. But...

My extract has been going on for about 10 years now. Any time it gets low, I add a bean and some more vodka.

And, by the way, for those of you who haven't tried it, it makes excellent extract. Sure beats the hell out of that imitation crap.

Bubastes
05-26-2008, 09:25 PM
You can make vanilla sugar. Cut it into 1-inch pieces and bury them in a container of white sugar. Fabulous in coffee.

I'd go for vanilla ice cream to let the perfect bean shine through. Let us know how it goes!

slcboston
05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
ooh... no, don't waste it on making extract. For 90% of the things you'd use extract for anyway it'd be a shame to waste that bean.

(edit: especially as I see you have your own already... dang DSL...)

Over at the Food Network, Alton Brown of "Good Eats" (pretty much the only cooking show I actually watch) did a whole half-hour show dedicated to what to do with good, fresh vanilla. I've got nothing in my personal culinary aresenal, but that might be a good place to look. :D

Haggis
05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Put one of them in a small container of brandy-or better yet, cognac-and let it infuse.
Use instead of regular vanilla extract.

*ears perk up*

Cognac? Hmm. Interesting.

Haggis
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
ooh... no, don't waste it on making extract. For 90% of the things you'd use extract for anyway it'd be a shame to waste that bean.

Over at the Food Network, Alton Brown of "Good Eats" (pretty much the only cooking show I actually watch) did a whole half-hour show dedicated to what to do with good, fresh vanilla. I've got nothing in my personal culinary aresenal, but that might be a good place to look. :D

Foodtv.com, as I recall. Thanks, Boston. I'll check them out. And I like Alton Brown too.

Sarita
05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, Haggis. I'm impressed! Hmmm... What about some kind of vanilla mousse type dessert? I'm trying to think of things that will give the vanilla the chance to shine. Some sort of fresh fruit dessert with Creme Anglais would be good.

CatSlave
05-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Fake Kahlua

2 cups water
4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons instant coffee
3 tablespoons water
2 cups brandy
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise

Bring 2 cups water and sugar to a boil.
Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Dissolve coffee in 3 tablespoons boiling water in a cup, then stir into the sugar mixture.
Add brandy.
Pour into two 1-quart Mason jars (about equal level in the two jars).
Attach a string to the vanilla bean halves and submerge in the two jars.
Drape the ends of string over the lips and screw on lids.

Bubastes
05-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Oh, I'd also consider making creme brulee out of the second vanilla bean. If you use vanilla sugar on top, that would make it extra special. Plus, it's an excuse to use a blowtorch in the kitchen.

Sarita
05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh, I'd also consider making creme brulee out of the second vanilla bean. If you use vanilla sugar on top, that would make it extra special. Plus, it's an excuse to use a blowtorch in the kitchen.
Oooo, yeah. MG's idea is a winner!

Haggis
05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Excellent ideas, guys, Keep 'em coming.

BTW, about that vanilla sugar--it's a good way to store vanilla beans too. Just shove 'em into a large pile of sugar, then use the bean whenever. In the meantime, your sugar picks up the vanilla flavor. Goodness all around.

MsK
05-26-2008, 10:23 PM

I have two questions:

Homeade vanilla ice cream with that major vanilla. I would not add anything more to it. I'd just want to enjoy the vanilla. Yumm...
And then I'd save the second one to make some more ice cream the following weekend. ;)

Haggis
05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Homeade vanilla ice cream with that major vanilla. I would not add anything more to it. I'd just want to enjoy the vanilla. Yumm...
And then I'd save the second one to make some more ice cream the following weekend. ;)

The thing is, I'm getting demands for my rum raisin ice cream. It's basically nothing more than vanilla ice cream, but at the end of the processing, you add in 1/4 teaspoon of a good quality cinnamon (like Vietnamese cinnamon) and a mess of raisins that have been soaking in a jigger or so of dark rum for about forever (or at least overnight). It ain't bad, if I do say so myself.

MsK
05-26-2008, 10:42 PM
The thing is, I'm getting demands for my rum raisin ice cream. It's basically nothing more than vanilla ice cream, but at the end of the processing, you add in 1/4 teaspoon of a good quality cinnamon (like Vietnamese cinnamon) and a mess of raisins that have been soaking in a jigger or so of dark rum for about forever (or at least overnight). It ain't bad, if I do say so myself.
That's difficult as Rum Raisin is a big favorite of mine also. And your version sounds delectable. I can almost taste it.
Well, you do have two beans...

Haggis
05-26-2008, 11:07 PM
That's difficult as Rum Raisin is a big favorite of mine also. And your version sounds delectable. I can almost taste it.
Well, you do have two beans...

If you can find those big, big raisins, and soak 'em for at least four days...I'll tell ya, it's heaven. Each time you bite into a raisin, it's like you're pounding down a shot of Meyers. :D

eta: and I do have two beans....

Bubastes
05-27-2008, 03:01 AM
OMG, I'm drooooooling over that rum raisin ice cream now. I have a bag of those huge raisins in my pantry right now. I wonder how it would be with Captain Morgan's?

Haggis
05-27-2008, 05:33 AM
OMG, I'm drooooooling over that rum raisin ice cream now. I have a bag of those huge raisins in my pantry right now. I wonder how it would be with Captain Morgan's?

Go for it! :D

Sarita
05-27-2008, 05:41 AM
All ya'll are killin me! I have nothing sweet in this house, save a bar of Green and Black's Chocolate and it's the espresso kind that will keep me up till kingdom come! Gah!

Haggis! Bring me some of your Rum Raisin ice cream. PA isn't that far of a drive :)

Haggis
05-27-2008, 06:01 AM
All ya'll are killin me! I have nothing sweet in this house, save a bar of Green and Black's Chocolate and it's the espresso kind that will keep me up till kingdom come! Gah!

Haggis! Bring me some of your Rum Raisin ice cream. PA isn't that far of a drive :)

Uh...sorry, Sara. Gonna have to wait 'til next weekend. I gotta get the stuff for it first. I'm fresh outta raisins. :( But, hell. If you started walking now, you'd be in Michigan by then. :D

Joycecwilliams
05-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Haggis
I never knew you were such a renaissance man. I am truly impressed... :)

L M Ashton
05-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Sadly, I'm now wondering how difficult it world be to grow vanilla. We can only get the really bad stuff here... Damn you, Haggis! ;)

Should I apologize now for any really really bad typos that show up today? I'm test driving a tablet PC for a review I need to write, and 'I'm using it in tablet mode. Fun, but it's prone to misinterpreting my squiggles. :D

MsK
05-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Just checking back to see what happened to those vanilla beans. I see that it will be next weekend. Looking forward to enjoying it vicariously. Less calories that way...

L M Ashton
05-27-2008, 07:57 AM
I have since learned that vanilla is grown here, which begs the question of why we only get the lousy artificial stuff in the stores. Apparently the beans are bought out mainly by ice cream manufacturers, which makes sense since the ice cream here is really really good. But it also means that l may be able to buy vanilla beans if I visit one of the spice gardens where it's grown. So. Yet another project for me...:)

Kitrianna
05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
*raises an eyebrow at Haggis* Michigan you say. Hmmm I'm only about an hour away from Detroit...

Haggis
05-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I have since learned that vanilla is grown here, which begs the question of why we only get the lousy artificial stuff in the stores. Apparently the beans are bought out mainly by ice cream manufacturers, which makes sense since the ice cream here is really really good. But it also means that l may be able to buy vanilla beans if I visit one of the spice gardens where it's grown. So. Yet another project for me...:)

Talk about fresh! Let us know how that works out.

*raises an eyebrow at Haggis* Michigan you say. Hmmm I'm only about an hour away from Detroit...

*hides his vanilla beans* :D

L M Ashton
05-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Will do. I'll most likely have to get my mother in law involved. Fahim has zero interest and she's the haggler of all hagglers, whereas if it's me, they'll rip me off charging me 20x what they'd charge my mother in law... And besides, she'll have a better idea of where to go than probably anyone else. :)

Haggis
05-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Will do. I'll most likely have to get my mother in law involved. Fahim has zero interest and she's the haggler of all hagglers, whereas if it's me, they'll rip me off charging me 20x what they'd charge my mother in law... And besides, she'll have a better idea of where to go than probably anyone else. :)

Can she get some for the rest of us? ;)

L M Ashton
05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
*laughs* From what I've read, vanilla beans here - in bulk for commercial buyers - is at about $55 US per kilogram. No idea what it would be for someone like me...

We also have real cinnamon here, not the cassia stuff that y'all use in the place of cinnamon. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
www.penzeys.com

I buy real cinnamon and the best vanilla beans there all the time... among other things. Excellent service, decent prices, fresh stuff. And once you order, you get a catalog about once a quarter with recipes. Mmmmm.

L M Ashton
05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
And they even differentiate between cinnamon and cassia-that's-used-as-cinnamon-in-most-of-the-world. Although my cinnamon is fresher than their cinnamon... :D As is my pepper and red chilli pepper powder and cumin and coriander... ;) But the basil and oregano we get here is crap. Utter crap. I planted a bunch of seeds (basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley, sage, mint, and a couple of others) a couple of days ago and I'm waiting to see if they'll sprout or if the ants took off with them. So far, the birds have left them alone, so I'm hoping...

Haggis
05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
www.penzeys.com (http://www.penzeys.com)

I buy real cinnamon and the best vanilla beans there all the time... among other things. Excellent service, decent prices, fresh stuff. And once you order, you get a catalog about once a quarter with recipes. Mmmmm.

This (http://www.rafalspicecompany.com/about_rafal.htm) is my spice store of choice, though I don't get there in person often.

Bubastes
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh yes, Penzey's is the best! I get all my spices there. I'm also addicted to their Sandwich Sprinkle, which I put on nearly everything.

cray
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
so what's to become of these beans, mr. haggis?

Haggis
05-29-2008, 06:06 PM
so what's to become of these beans, mr. haggis?

Ice cream this weekend for one bean. I'm not sure about the other, although I am thinking about that Kahlua recipe. Then again, creme brulee is not out of the question. I haven't used my kitchen torch in a long time.

CatSlave
05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Ice cream this weekend for one bean. I'm not sure about the other, although I am thinking about that Kahlua recipe. Then again, creme brulee is not out of the question. I haven't used my kitchen torch in a long time.
If you make the Kahlua, let it age for a while before drinking to give the vanilla a chance to infuse.
Couple of weeks, maybe...

I have more fake booze recipes if anyone is interested.

Haggis
05-29-2008, 06:16 PM
If you make the Kahlua, let it age for a while before drinking to give the vanilla a chance to infuse.
Couple of weeks, maybe...

I have more fake booze recipes if anyone is interested.

I'm always interested in fake booze recipes.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
This (http://www.rafalspicecompany.com/about_rafal.htm) is my spice store of choice, though I don't get there in person often.

Oh... my... heaven. That's heaven; isn't it? We don't have anything remotely like that down here in the territory. ::sigh:: What's it like to walk through the door? What's it smell like? What's your favorite spice to get there? Tell us the story, Funny Uncle Haggis!

Haggis
05-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh... my... heaven. That's heaven; isn't it? We don't have anything remotely like that down here in the territory. ::sigh:: What's it like to walk through the door? What's it smell like? What's your favorite spice to get there? Tell us the story, Funny Uncle Haggis!

Once you walk through the door, you don't ever want to leave. It smells that good.

My favorite thing to buy? Vanilla beans, of course. :D

I also stock up on stuff for my blackening rub, and I'm about due to make up another batch.

Oh, and almost next door to Rafal's is the Germack Pistachio Company (http://germack.com/about-us.aspx). They sell these ginormous jumbo raisins. Lemme tell you, when they've sucked up a few days worth of Meyer's Rum, ain't nothing better.

cray
05-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Once you walk through the door, you don't ever want to leave. It smells that good.

My favorite thing to buy? Vanilla beans, of course. :D

I also stock up on stuff for my blackening rub, and I'm about due to make up another batch.

Oh, and almost next door to Rafal's is the Germack Pistachio Company (http://germack.com/about-us.aspx). They sell these ginormous jumbo raisins. Lemme tell you, when they've sucked up a few days worth of Meyer's Rum, ain't nothing better.

so there you have it,.....

with bean #2 i suggest salmon w/ curried vanilla rum/raison sauce and a pistachio mustache.

Haggis
05-29-2008, 11:24 PM
so there you have it,.....

with bean #2 i suggest salmon w/ curried vanilla rum/raison sauce and a pistachio mustache.

:Wha:

cray
05-29-2008, 11:39 PM
alright, forget the mustache then,...

sheeeze!

Haggis
05-29-2008, 11:48 PM
alright, forget the mustache then,...

sheeeze!

To be honest with you, Mr. Cray, a rum, raisin, brown sugar, butter sauce doesn't sound bad at all with salmon. it would need something else though. Something...citrusy. Maybe orange.

Yes. That's it. Orange. Or tangerine.

Now to work out the proportions....

eta: And instead of salmon, we're gonna have halibut or swordfish steaks. Sorry, but that's the way it's gotta be.

Sarita
05-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Hmmm, swordfish might overwhelm the vanilla. I'd go halibut. :)

Haggis
05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Hmmm, swordfish might overwhelm the vanilla. I'd go halibut. :)

I'm leaving the vanilla out of the sauce. I don't think it would work that good with the fish.

But as for the fish--definitely a white fish--halibut or swordfish. Grilled.

Maybe we marinate with a citrus marinade first, then spoon the rum-raisin-brown sugar-butter sauce over it.

No. The sauce needs orange too. Maybe triple sec. :D

cray
05-30-2008, 12:02 AM
SALMON WITH CURRIED VANILLA RUM-BUTTER SAUCE
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 vanilla bean, split
1/4 cup amber colored rum
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 scant tablespoon Thai green curry paste (or more for more spiciness)*
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick cold butter, unsalted
6 4 to 6-ounce salmon fillets, skin removed
Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

Prepare salmon fillets and grill, bake or poach the salmon fillets until just done while making the sauce. Keep warm until sauce is complete.

Sauce:

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla bean, wine, rum and curry paste. Bring to a boil and reduce by half. Add cream, return to a boil, and reduce by half again.

Remove sauce from heat and whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Pass sauce through a fine strainer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Puddle a small amount of sauce on each plate. Place the salmon fillets on sauce, and then pour sauce over tops of fillets. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley and lemon slices.

eta: recipe found on www.vanilla.com

sassandgroove
05-30-2008, 12:15 AM
wow. just wow.

Haggis
05-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Ginger! That's what I needed.

It sounds good, Cray. I'm still not sure I'd use the vanilla bean, though. I'ma thinking the flavor would get wasted with all that other stuff going on.

Have you had this before?

cray
05-30-2008, 12:43 AM
no, i have not had it before. sorry.
you are prolly right though in your thinking -- there is a lot going on in that dish.

sassandgroove
05-30-2008, 12:44 AM
I have an image in my head of a little chihuahua in a chef's hat making gourmet food.

JLCwrites
05-30-2008, 01:47 AM
And holding a mini-torch!

BTW... This thread is making me very hungry.

sassandgroove
05-30-2008, 01:52 AM
YES!

cray
06-03-2008, 03:53 AM
well, where's the ice cream, haggis?

http://www.antiquemystique.com/images/7454_jpg.jpg

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-03-2008, 04:01 AM
http://www.kibblesplace.com/dogs/chefplaque.jpg

sassandgroove
06-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm ready.
http://healthek.com/lactose-intolerance/lactaid-q.jpg

Haggis
06-04-2008, 05:54 AM
well, where's the ice cream, haggis?

I'm ready.
http://healthek.com/lactose-intolerance/lactaid-q.jpg

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/Damnhaggis/icecream2.jpg

Sarita
06-04-2008, 04:59 PM
mmmmm.... share!

Haggis
06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
mmmmm.... share!

Here's a cyber spoon. Help yourself. :D

http://www.jenklairkids.com/Eshop/products/sterling-feeding-spoon2.jpg

Bubastes
06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
:whimpers:

Good thing cyber-ice cream has no calories.

poetinahat
06-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Dang.

I thought this thread was going to be about an algebra problem.

L M Ashton
06-22-2008, 04:39 PM
So. An interesting development...

One of the husband's cousins apparently had some vanilla plants. I don't know how many or what's happened with them, but he runs the family plantation(s), so it could be anything from trying out a few plants to see how easy they are to he's already got a few acres. I really don't know, and neither do my inlaws. This same cousin gave my mother in law a vine so she could try to grow it, but she didn't have any luck. I have no idea how much she knows about growing that particular type of plant (she speaks little English, I speak even less Sinhala or Tamil, so we use the husband or the father in law for tranlators for lengthy conversations such as these). This same cousin is rather fond of me - he gave me a Sri Lankan cookbook, printed in the 1950s or 1960s when he learned I wanted to learn more about Sri Lankan cooking. So, it's entirely possible that I may have a handy source of either vanilla beans or the plant itself, and if that's the case, I won't have too difficult a time getting my hands on it. :D

My inlaws are now going to talk to the cousin and find out for me. Theoretically. Provided they don't forget. It might be time for me to start researching growing vanilla beans. :)

I'll keep y'all posted. :D

WerenCole
07-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Without reading the entire thread, this is my favorite vanilla bean recipe.

Make a vanilla rum butter with your vanilla, but the old fashioned way. . . Take some good rum (Appeltons, Myers, Mount Gay) and reduce it in a pot to get rid of most of the alcohol (this takes a good portion of rum, otherwise you just burn it all off). Take this and let it cool. Strip your vanilla bean. Take heavy cream and put it in your kitchen aid with the whisk and hit it on high until you have whipped cream. When you are at the "high peak" stage of the whipped cream, add your vanilla and a little of your rum and a touch of salt. Turn the kitchen aid back on and whip it until it turns into butter (ie, the fat and the liquid from the cream are seperated). There you have it, fresh whipped vanilla rum butter.

Now, with this I would go get a dozen large scallops. In a super hot pan (with oil) sear the scallops briefly on both sides. Remove the pan from the flame for thirty seconds and add them rum butter (make sure your pan has cooled down considerably).

Place scallops on a plate and pour the butter from the pan on top. Vanilla rum butter scallops. Place a nesturtium on top for edible garnish and your off.

WerenCole
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

In my case, I probably am.

Sarita
07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Weren:

I just made scallops last night. Quick question: Do you have to use nonstick for them, or will they be okay in a regular pan at high heat?

WerenCole
07-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Any nice clean pan will do. Really, the only thing I NEED a non stick for is eggs. Any good saute pan without a lot of damage or imperfections will pretty much take care of everything else.

ETA: With scallops, the trick is a super hot pan. Like, super hot. One of the reasons I have always liked cooking scallops is just the sheer violence it takes to get a good sear on them.

L M Ashton
07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
For eggs, I prefer a well-seasoned cast iron. :D

WerenCole
07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Ah yes, but not in a restaurant environment when you must push out lots of eggs in a timely fashion. . . I hate cooking brunch. (Sunday morning is just a bad day for cooks in general). Don't get me wrong, I like to eat brunch, just not cook it.

cray
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
thanks for that recipe, weren,...

printing it off right now - sounds great

Kitrianna
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Werren, I'll take a Non-shellfish recipe please. I'm swelling just thinking about the little beasties.

WerenCole
07-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't know any Werren's. . . . but if you ask Weren nicely he might find one for you.

Kitrianna
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
GAH! You're almost as bad as Kthrok...making me ask HIS way for a good night kiss. *grumbles loudly* Weren, love, you wouldn't happen to have a lovely dinner recipe that didn't call for the nasty little shellfish beasties would you?

Seaclusion
07-11-2008, 02:30 AM
You should make home made Kahlua with it. We make it every year for Christmas. It's actually better than the name brand stuff.

Richard

cooeedownunder
07-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Try Peach Melba

This is a classic dessert, invented in 1892 or 1893 by one of the worlds greatest French chefs, George Auguste Escoffier, to honour the Australian soprano, Dame Nellie Melba. This is my favourite dessert out of all the recipes in the book 'Australian Flavour.'

Yield 4

1/2 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 vanilla bean
4 fresh peaches, peeled
500g rasberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
2 cups vanilla ice cream

Place sugar, water and vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium heat, and stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Put peaches, halved, into the saucepan with the syrup, cover and poach gently until tender, about 5 - 10 minutes.

Remove peaches from syrup, drain, cover and chill. Rub rasberries through a sieve or puree in a blender or food processor. Add icing sugar gradually until sauce thickens.

Pile ice cream into four individual glass dishes, and cover the top of each with peaches, and then spoon rasberry sauce over the peaches.

http://www.australianflavour.net/images/stories/food/peahMelba.jpg

cooeedownunder
12-07-2008, 08:31 AM
:D

icerose
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks to celiacs I had to get new vanillia extract. Though when the ten dollar price tag on a tiny little bottle stared me down I decided to go for the seven dollar plump vanilla bean and the 10 dollar bottle of vodka and make my own. Wish me luck!

Haggis
10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Been making my own for years, icerose. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

icerose
10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I hope not. I was a little nervous walking into a liquor store for the first time ever but the lady there was really nice and serves a lot of customers who make extracts so she was able to help me get the right stuff.

Qbynewbie
10-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks to celiacs I had to get new vanillia extract. Though when the ten dollar price tag on a tiny little bottle stared me down I decided to go for the seven dollar plump vanilla bean and the 10 dollar bottle of vodka and make my own. Wish me luck!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. :)

I'm new here and would otherwise never have known that Hagis is such a foodie. :D I'm delighted to find cooking threads here at AW!

icerose
10-06-2010, 11:33 PM
There are quite a few people who are foodies around here. I'm trying to learn how to be. Welcome to the cooking section. :D

quickWit
10-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I'd just like to say, in reference to the thread title...

ew.

Carry on.

icerose
10-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Well I didn't have enough vanilla beans for how much extract I want to make so I ordered more. They shipped today. :D I'm really excited about this.

tiny
10-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I did not know you could make your own vanilla extract. I bake - a lot during the holidays - and I hate crappy extract. Plus, with the new custom liquor cabinet we're putting in (made from a tool cabinet my dad built) I bet it would look good in there with all the bottles. :D Must try.

icerose
10-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Do try it, then we can compare results in a month or two. :D

Haggis
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Do try it, then we can compare results in a month or two. :D
Be sure to give it enough time. A couple of months should do it, if you have enough vanilla beans in the mix.

icerose
10-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah I have two in there right now, I have another ten coming in a couple of days so hopefully all together they will be enough. If not I'll use some of the vodka to make almond and a few other extracts as I can't have any of the store ones.

Haggis
10-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah I have two in there right now, I have another ten coming in a couple of days so hopefully all together they will be enough. If not I'll use some of the vodka to make almond and a few other extracts as I can't have any of the store ones.
Are you talking 12 beans in a fifth of vodka? Seems excessive to me. I'm thinking 5 or maybe 6. But I'm sure you can find a recipe online.

The good news is if you have beans left over, you can start your own thread here about what to do with them. I love the peach melba recipe above, and, of course, you can't go wrong making your own ice cream.

icerose
10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
No I bought a half gallon because I want to make several extracts. By the way, what is a fifth? One of my extracts asks for a fifth and I have no idea what that means. How much is that?

Haggis
10-08-2010, 09:56 PM
No I bought a half gallon because I want to make several extracts. By the way, what is a fifth? One of my extracts asks for a fifth and I have no idea what that means. How much is that?
A fifth is a unit of measure for booze. It equals one fifth of a gallon. If those friends of yours who claim they're making extracts manage to go through a fifth a day, I'd have a long talk with them. :D

icerose
10-08-2010, 10:28 PM
A fifth is a unit of measure for booze. It equals one fifth of a gallon. If those friends of yours who claim they're making extracts manage to go through a fifth a day, I'd have a long talk with them. :D

It was a christmas present recipe, so they weren't just making extracts for themselves. I do go through a ton of vanilla in a year though so I ended up going with a quart of vanilla extract, a pint of orange extract, a pint of almond extract, and a pint of almond extract because those were the sizes of the recipes and since I've never done extracts before I think I'm going to stick with the recipes.

My next adventures will be mint extracts, banana, and coconut.