SASE's

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I've noticed many agents say in their submission guidelines that you can submit up to 50 pages with a query. There were a couple times when I only put a .41 (now .42) self-addressed envelope inside my 2-dollar something bigger envelope containing the 50 pages. Should I enclose an envelope of the same value for them to return my work or just a regular business one? I'm sure the likelihood of getting notes back is small, but that's the only reason I'd want the pages back. If they see a regular business envelope, will they think I'm expecting rejection? Thanks!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I've done both...I'm not sure it really matters unless they specify (I've seen some that do). If you don't want the 50 back then just send a small envelope...it's sure a lot cheaper.

Oh, and I suppose notes are possible but very highly unlikely...at least in my experience.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just put in a regular business size SASE, and mark the manuscript "Disposable Copy" (assuming that you don't care if you get it back).

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
When submitting articles on spec, I generally indicate in my cover letter that they can dispose of the manuscript and respond in the smaller envelope I have enclosed.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
Some submission guidelines say that you can mark the manuscript disposable, or mark the envelope "reply only".

It doesn't mean you're expecting rejection, because acceptance doesn't require any more postage than rejection.

Dale

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But always do enclose some form of SASE. It gives them one more thing to ignore.

caw
Yes, plus they can always scratch your name out and use it to send a note to their sister in Iowa.

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
When submitting articles on spec, I generally indicate in my cover letter that they can dispose of the manuscript and respond in the smaller envelope I have enclosed.

I second this. If you want it back, enclose a larger envelope with appropriate postage and ask that it be returned. But here's another thought -- if you're printing it out for them, why would you want it back? I'd never reuse a copy that may come back smudged, wrinkled, or looking worn from an earlier editor -- always print out a new, crisp copy for the next submission. If you have other reason to use it that's worth the return postage, however, go for it.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for asking this question, Michelle. I had assumed it was ok to send a little envelope for reply, but it's much better knowing for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.